PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Is it just me?...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Is it just me?...

Postby HubbaHubba » Sun Apr 22, 2018 12:06 pm

When are we going to hear more about the grad transfers we're going to pull in? Graduation is right around the corner for most schools. Is there any inside info on who we are targeting other than just what positions (all) that we need? How many scholies do we have left to use?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:37 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:It's a bit troubling that Sonny and his staff have repeatedly talked about how shocked they were that the team was so physically and mentally weak. Sonny has also spoke about how small the players are. I guess we'll see how well "Chad's great recruiting" does this Fall.
:roll:

Go read the article on Gentry. He talks about the conditioning drills. The players chad recruited didn't have small frames. But they did NOT bulk them up. They wanted to play fast instead of strong and it hurt us on both sides of the line.

I think we will end up finding out that the Morris OL recruits do have a lot of talent... once they get big enough to get on the field in Dykes' system. Morris forgot about the "power" in power spread.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Apr 23, 2018 12:58 pm

-SMU's top 3 primary rushers averaged 5.7 yards per carry which I believe to be among the best performances in SMU history. Its outstanding. Its simply a matter of coaching preference-Morris didn't want fat tubs of lard. At Arkansas the average offensive lineman LOST 10 pounds per man by spring practice. Note that Sonny's JUCOs were skinnier than Morris' offensive lineman when they were unheralded, unrecruited recruits. 2 of them still are skinny. It takes 2-3 years to develop high school Offensive Linemen. Criticism of one of the very best offenses in SMU History in only the 3 year of his tenure is a little ridiculous. Every year there has been solid if not spectacular improvement
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:21 pm

Stallion wrote:-SMU's top 3 primary rushers averaged 5.7 yards per carry which I believe to be among the best performances in SMU history. Its outstanding. Its simply a matter of coaching preference-Morris didn't want fat tubs of lard. At Arkansas the average offensive lineman LOST 10 pounds per man by spring practice. Note that Sonny's JUCOs were skinnier than Morris' offensive lineman when they were unheralded, unrecruited recruits. 2 of them still are skinny. It takes 2-3 years to develop high school Offensive Linemen. Criticism of one of the very best offenses in SMU History in only the 3 year of his tenure is a little ridiculous. Every year there has been solid if not spectacular improvement

However, there is always a trade-off. I would argue that it hurt us defensively quite a bit, and we had to throw or run misdirection in short yardage situations.
JasonB

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:52 pm

Stallion wrote: Criticism of one of the very best offenses in SMU History in only the 3 year of his tenure is a little ridiculous.

Just wish that "one of the very best offenses in SMU History" had shown up on December 20.
Bergermeister

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:00 pm

I am old (school) and I still believe that the team runs on the offensive line play. Back in my playing days emphasis was placed on speed and technique, however, with larger and larger high schoolers coming in, it soon became evident size was an important requirement. I am anxious to see what Sonny can do and recruit in this area. If the line is really good, then skill players (outside of the QB) become less necessary. I like his philosophy if he can recruit to it. Of course, my bigger concern is with our poor defensive play. We shall see on that. If they can't outscore us, we win! Simple.
Noticed SBNation has us as pre-season favorites against Navy and UNT which will be telling games early.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Fresno Mustang » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:35 pm

Objectively speaking Chad's assistants do not hold a candle to the staff Dykes has assembled here based on experience. Morris brought in a GA and positions coach as his two coordinators and Dykes has brought in two legit coordinators with legit experience. Arkansas got the short end of the stick with Craddock and Chavis vs. Rhett and Kane. Chad's offense was great here but the defense canceled that out and the staff's inexperience showed when we couldn't make a second half adjustment for three straight years and the staff looked like a Pop Warner staff playing Memphis and Navy. But by all means, I am glad they had cool tweets and the tempocopter was so great that Sonny landed a higher ranked recruit in his first month here than Chad ever did. The Chad supporters also said we would be competing for a conference championship by year 4 with Chad's recruits and yet Sonny is bringing in grad transfers and desperately trying to upgrade the talent level at some of the position groups. Why is that? Chad's top half of classes were always strong but he never assembled a complete class from top to bottom like some of our conference opponents. Furthermore, I am glad to see Sonny holding spots open for late qualifiers, etc. that will be impact players like we saw in his first cycle. That is way better than Chad extending offers and accepting commits from guys in April that are average to below average. It's also ironic that Chad had Lawler, Courtland and Evan Brown fall into his lap, yet Chad will be sure to promote the hell out of those three when they are in the NFL. Sonny might not be a success here when it is all said and done, but he already has a stronger foundation with this staff than Chad did walking in the door.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby PonyKai » Mon Apr 23, 2018 5:53 pm

I was going to comment on how my initial opinion on the Dykes hire was wildly wrong, how Dykes has put together the best all-around staff at SMU in at least thirty years, that Chad--again--chained himself to a poor DC choice that will prevent him from building a complete program, but then I realized there weren't enough hashtags or spring game tweets and now I'm really sad.
PonyKai

Postby footballdad » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:23 pm

Fresno Mustang wrote:Objectively speaking Chad's assistants do not hold a candle to the staff Dykes has assembled here based on experience. Morris brought in a GA and positions coach as his two coordinators and Dykes has brought in two legit coordinators with legit experience. Arkansas got the short end of the stick with Craddock and Chavis vs. Rhett and Kane. Chad's offense was great here but the defense canceled that out and the staff's inexperience showed when we couldn't make a second half adjustment for three straight years and the staff looked like a Pop Warner staff playing Memphis and Navy. But by all means, I am glad they had cool tweets and the tempocopter was so great that Sonny landed a higher ranked recruit in his first month here than Chad ever did. The Chad supporters also said we would be competing for a conference championship by year 4 with Chad's recruits and yet Sonny is bringing in grad transfers and desperately trying to upgrade the talent level at some of the position groups. Why is that? Chad's top half of classes were always strong but he never assembled a complete class from top to bottom like some of our conference opponents. Furthermore, I am glad to see Sonny holding spots open for late qualifiers, etc. that will be impact players like we saw in his first cycle. That is way better than Chad extending offers and accepting commits from guys in April that are average to below average. It's also ironic that Chad had Lawler, Courtland and Evan Brown fall into his lap, yet Chad will be sure to promote the hell out of those three when they are in the NFL. Sonny might not be a success here when it is all said and done, but he already has a stronger foundation with this staff than Chad did walking in the door.

Van frickin Malone. :lol:

Still unemployed I believe?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby horsemanx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:12 pm

PonyKai wrote:I was going to comment on how my initial opinion on the Dykes hire was wildly wrong, how Dykes has put together the best all-around staff at SMU in at least thirty years, that Chad--again--chained himself to a poor DC choice that will prevent him from building a complete program, but then I realized there weren't enough hashtags or spring game tweets and now I'm really sad.

I think it might be full tilt boogie for the Ponies this fall.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:32 am

ALEX LIFESON wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job.

Amen....heck Chad had a bunch of guys with very little college experience if they even had any college coaching experience.

gostangs wrote:Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do.

Yes Sonny had to do something with the bare shelves Chad left him with. Chad's so called "great recruiting" may haunt us next Fall.

I'm not sure if you can say that Chad left the cupboards totally bare, but it was a blessing in disguise that Sonny Dykes was able to come in and see what he had and more importantly, what he didn't have during Bowl preparation. After surveying the talent level on the team, Sonny Dykes immediately signed three Junior College offensive lineman, 1 Juco linebacker and a Juco

cornerback. He also saw the dire situation left to him at wide receiver, and is hoping to address that with transfers. If everything goes well, counting jucos and transfers, he will probably add 10 players to fill gaping holes going into the 2018 season. Chad only took 2 SMU recruits to Arkansas with him, Sonny Dykes also said...no thanks, to some of the Chad Morris 2018 recruits. I think even Stallion would agree, Chad failed at recruiting defensive linemen, linebackers and defensive backs.

Forgot to add; hope Sonny can change the trend, of season ending prison rapes from the Chad era.
2015 Memphis 63-0
2016 Navy 75-31
2017 La Tech 52-10
ALEX LIFESON

Postby sadderbudweiser » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:57 pm

gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job. Sonny seems to be aiming a bit higher on recruits - remains to be seen if he can land them. Also i think Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do. We cant get where we want to go waiting for the few three stars who fall through the system and then fill in with 2 stars.

That said - no idea what we have yet. Liked everything I have seen but don't claim to be an expert. Everyone always falls for the new coach who will be the savior (and they are falling for it in Arkansas as we speak). I always liked Chad and don't have a beef with him leaving, except he could have handled the announcement better. SMU and Chad both did fine with the association. I don't see Arkansas being any different within their conference going forward though.

To quote Ali - everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face.

I think that was Mike Tyson.
Party at The Wopper!
sadderbudweiser

Postby SoCal_Pony » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:09 pm

sadderbudweiser wrote:
gostangs wrote:one difference seems to be that Sonnys staff is much more experienced day one, vs Chads where there was quite a bit of learning on the job. Sonny seems to be aiming a bit higher on recruits - remains to be seen if he can land them. Also i think Sonny is perfectly fine stocking up with JUCO, and I personally think that is what SMU absolutely has to do. We cant get where we want to go waiting for the few three stars who fall through the system and then fill in with 2 stars.

That said - no idea what we have yet. Liked everything I have seen but don't claim to be an expert. Everyone always falls for the new coach who will be the savior (and they are falling for it in Arkansas as we speak). I always liked Chad and don't have a beef with him leaving, except he could have handled the announcement better. SMU and Chad both did fine with the association. I don't see Arkansas being any different within their conference going forward though.

To quote Ali - everybody has a plan until they get hit in the face.

I think that was Mike Tyson.

It is Iron Mike Tyson and it's one of the greatest sports quotes of the past 50 years.

I also believe it's "Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth", it might be punched in the face, but it's punched, not hit.
SoCal_Pony

Previous

Return to Football