PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Receivers?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Receivers?

Postby Grider » Fri Aug 17, 2001 1:11 pm

I've made no secret that I think Jay Taylor can contribute as a freshmen, and from the practice reports, it looks like he's holding up his end of the bargain. But, with Jay pushing for the starting line-up, How are we going to arrange our receiving core to utilize all of our talent.

One of the things mentioned on the board is to move Freeman to RB. I agree that based on the pool of talent we have, we should at least test the waters there.

The Comet is automatic. We shouldn't play a down on offense without that guy on the field. I'd like to think they would get him out of the slot and play him more on the outside.

Where do we go from there?
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: Receivers?

Postby SMUguy » Fri Aug 17, 2001 2:37 pm

You know how kids get recruited, and once they get to college, they're mysteriously an inch or two shorter, 20 pounds lighter, or a couple of tenths slower in the 40? Well, Jay Taylor is listed by the university as 6-3 -- and when I saw him, that's no stretch at all. In fact, when he checked in for his physical, he measured in at a legit 6-4, or even a fraction more. And he's pretty lanky, meaning he can add considerable size and muscle to his frame. If he can maintain his speed, we've found a gem, because unlike some guys who are made into receivers just because of their bodies, this kid can catch -- everything.

You're right, Comet is going to have a huge year. He's completely healthy for the first time in more than a year, and supposedly is in the best shape of his life.

I'd love to see JFree return to tailback for the "Thunder and Lightning" idea that someone proposed on this board. There are a lot of receivers.

(Note: from what I saw, Trey Griffin is every bit as fast as advertised. He was sailing past DB's like they were planted in cement. But I never saw a pass go his direction, so I have no idea about his hands.)
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby DallasDiehard » Sun Aug 19, 2001 7:03 pm

Freeman looked great running past the secondary and catching three scores in the scrimmage Saturday. And I'm tellin you, Jay Taylor is going to drive defenses nuts. The kid is big, strong and fast, and has great hands and concentration. He's been frustrating the DB's in practice with his speed and strength. I predict he gets 6 catches, 71 yards and a touchdown against LaTech.

Now we need Trey Griffin to get the hands to go along with those wheels. And where was Cedric Vinson Saturday? Don't remember hearing his name called.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sun Aug 19, 2001 7:05 pm

Seems like JFree is coming into his own. I know it's only practice, but 4 catches for 137 yards and three scores? Hope the opposing coaches weren't scouting the scrimmage. We may have the weapon Cavan has been talking about after all.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby PK » Sun Aug 19, 2001 7:39 pm

Maybe I should back away from my capitulation and agreement the other day with some of you that said JFree should be back at RB. Image I'm sorry that I missed seeing his catches Saturday night since I had to leave early. I had said in earlier posts that he should concentrate and practice catching passes...sounds like he has. Johnnie Freeman is going to be a big threat to other team's defenses wherever we put him.

I tell you, the more I see and hear about this team this year the more ready I am for some SMU FOOTBALL!!! BTW, in the warmup before the scrimmage, the "Diesel" had the guys into it with some orginized yelling and enthusiasm that has been missing from our teams for quite awhile. I think Chuck is going to make a BIG impact on this team and their attitude.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Return to Football