PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

USA Today: Quinn already turning heads

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

USA Today: Quinn already turning heads

Postby PonyPride » Mon May 14, 2018 9:35 pm

PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: USA Today: Quinn already turning heads

Postby BUS » Tue May 15, 2018 6:57 am

Happy for TQ.
IMO if he would have stayed he could have been a 2 or 3 round draft pick.
Oh, well.
I'll be watching some skins this year.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby peruna81 » Tue May 15, 2018 8:38 am

He doesn't drop passes...the No. 1 key to becoming a successful receiver in the NFL
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Tue May 15, 2018 9:06 am

Ironically “dismissed” from LSU due to 2 crucial drops in a big game. People I talked to said the passes were not well thrown and the drops were due to the difficulty of the catch, but many fans and coaches were not as forgiving.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby shadowman » Tue May 15, 2018 12:32 pm

Regarding Drops,

I love TQ and wish he was still a Mustang, but even with all the great memories, his drop against UCF on 4 and 2 where he was wide open and the pass was perfect still sticks in my mind. SMU probably had the best chance of anyone to beat UCF and that killed the late drive for the tie or win.

Oh well, such is the way of the Mustang, I hope he has great success in the NFL.
Probaly won't happen...BUT...maybe it will!!
shadowman
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunaPunch » Tue May 15, 2018 2:00 pm

mrydel wrote:Ironically “dismissed” from LSU due to 2 crucial drops in a big game. People I talked to said the passes were not well thrown and the drops were due to the difficulty of the catch, but many fans and coaches were not as forgiving.

I watched that national championship game against Alabama. Prior to the "drops" Quinn got absolutely blown up by a defender. My wife (a neuropsychologist, who is actually qualified to make the diagnosis) remarked that to her it looked like he was potentially concussed. On top of that, remember that Quinn was probably 18 at that time (starting as a frosh in a national championship game). So although I'm sure the results of the game were massively disappointing, there was no reason whatsoever for Quinn to have drawn the ire he received from the LSU fans. Truth is, LSU probably should have put another player in after that hit, but didn't. My 2 cents for the very little it's worth.
"It's a couple hundred million dollars. I'm not losing sleep over it." -- David Miller
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Tue May 15, 2018 2:03 pm

You are saying what I have heard from some LSU fans here. But there were many non forgiving ones out there.
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

shadowman wrote:Regarding Drops,

I love TQ and wish he was still a Mustang, but even with all the great memories, his drop against UCF on 4 and 2 where he was wide open and the pass was perfect still sticks in my mind. SMU probably had the best chance of anyone to beat UCF and that killed the late drive for the tie or win.

Oh well, such is the way of the Mustang, I hope he has great success in the NFL.

Both Quinn and Sutton had crucial drops in that UCF game. Very uncharacteristic of both guys.
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Tue May 15, 2018 7:18 pm

I still can see the Beasley drop in the Armed Forces Bowl. Happens to all of them.
mrydel

Postby Hoss » Wed May 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Think the DBs who got sat down by so-called "mr. Irrelevant" took a little grief from their teammates? :lol:
Hoss
All-American

Postby ponyte » Wed May 16, 2018 6:46 pm

I, too, have the license (two states) and ability to make concussion diagnoses. As well as many, many other diagnosies. I feel speculation to be a bit dissatisfying. Concussion is a clinical diagnosis, not an observation diagnois. Concussion has very specific criteria which require actual examination of the patient.

Did a freshman have a concussion or did he 'hear footsteps' after a particularly painful hit? Without a proper exainmation I would not risk a conclusion. But then, others have different experiences and knowledge.

And oh yes, recievers hear footsteps. I have heard them and felt like a complete wussy after the fact and resolved to be a receiver, not a wussy going forwarded. It can be painful but without concussion.

It takes a certain mindset to be a receiver over the middle. One has to know that one will catch a ball and be hit hard.

I don't recall many receivers at SMU, for some many years, being a consistent over the middle receiver. It takes a certain mind set. We might not recruit it.

If one is uncomfortable going over the middle, then a hard hit on the outside might influence future concentration. That is why DBs are taught to deliver as hard a hit on recievers as possible. It just might cause a concentration issue later in the game.
ponyte

Return to Football