PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

The Way-Too-Early Season Prediction Thread...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

The Way-Too-Early Season Prediction Thread...

Postby peruna81 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:34 pm

Since it is the dog-days of June (month not coach), it comes time to hear the wisdom of many heads...and the hopes of SMU sunshiners everywhere. I will propose that the "winner" of this prediction thread be awarded a copy of Temple Pouncey's Mustang Mania that I have been stowing away in the library for a couple of decades. We will re-visit the thread in December.

The rules?

Pick each game, with score added for potential tie-breaking.
mrydel and ponyte are the official judges...Stallion settles any further fussing.

@NTSU-W-SMU 35-24...this isn't Frisco, and we run the ball effectively.
TCU-L-TCU wins this in the 4th quarter 42-31. We run effectively again, but defense folds.
@Michigan-L-38-16. We are never in this game...we take the beating and the check, and go home.
Navy-W- SMU 45-42 in OT...Stallion is giddy again.
HBU-W-SMU 41-24. We are getting beat up on the O-Line by this stage, and on the D-Line too.
@UCF-L-44-17...For the second time this season, we are curb-stomped physically
@Tulane-W-SMU 45-24..closer than it needs to be, but the 4th quarter is "run it, Sonny" time
Cincy-W-SMU 38-34 We finally win a close game against another toss-up opponent
UH-L-38-24...I SO want to plug this one in as a win, but the athletes are still on their side
@UCONN-W- SMU 28-24 A road win is always a blessing, even against a cellar dweller
Memphis-L-44-35 Nope...not this year either...
@Tulsa-W-SMU 31-28 closes out on a high note..this one worries me...sunshine..

Nameless bowl win means 8-5...not a cloud in the sky...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: The Way-Too-Early Season Prediction Thread...

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:08 pm

Long and tiresome
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU89 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 pm

13-0

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
SMU89

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:12 am

Penciled Wins: (1-0) - HBU
Penciled Losses: (0-3) - TCU, Michigan, UCF
Road Games: (2-2) - NTSU, Tulane, UConn, Tulsa
Home Games* : (2-2) - Navy, Cincy, Coogs, Memphis

* - most challenging to achieve

Overall 5-7, more likely 6-6 than 4-8
SoCal_Pony

Postby smitty329 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:37 am

SMU 52 NT 28 - Staff reminds team of LA Tech disaster and NT optimism - challenges them to make a statement - we take it out on NT. We go deep into depth chart - NT picks up a garbage TD in 4th Qrtr.

SMU 42 TCU 38 - Sonny's TCU exposure from last year parlayed to defensive unit which frustrates TCU - Patterson last seen running down Mockingbird in a tirade about never helping SMU again similar to when June beat them.

SMU 49 Michigan 42 - Michigan comes off a loss to ND and destruction of WMI with slight overconfidence. In the closing minutes as Michigan is marching down the field to break the 42 - 42 tie, Jordan Wyatt intercepts a deflected pass and is heading down the sideline for a pick 6 when Harbaugh pulls a Woody Hayes and punches Wyatt as he passes by. With tremendous field position, we score and win.

SMU 38 Navy 21 - New defensive scheme baffles Navy - Finally.

SMU 63 HBU 14 - On opening play HBU QB physically craps himself and pulls a garo yepremian as Gary scoops up ball for easy TD. Rest is easy as HBU on it's heels entire time.

SMU 41 UCF 38 - UCF has talent but is too laid back moving into conference schedule. SMU special teams make us proud including the game winning field goal as time expires.

SMU enters TOP 25 at number 25.

We win our remaining games to go undefeated - to make a statement after criticism last year for not having UCF in the playoff, the committee includes SMU, we win the national championship. New threads hit ponyfans regarding expanding Ford, Ford reseating, fire Jank cause he hasn't won a championship, etc.
smitty329
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:12 am

smitty329 wrote:SMU 52 NT 28 - Staff reminds team of LA Tech disaster and NT optimism - challenges them to make a statement - we take it out on NT. We go deep into depth chart - NT picks up a garbage TD in 4th Qrtr.

SMU 42 TCU 38 - Sonny's TCU exposure from last year parlayed to defensive unit which frustrates TCU - Patterson last seen running down Mockingbird in a tirade about never helping SMU again similar to when June beat them.

SMU 49 Michigan 42 - Michigan comes off a loss to ND and destruction of WMI with slight overconfidence. In the closing minutes as Michigan is marching down the field to break the 42 - 42 tie, Jordan Wyatt intercepts a deflected pass and is heading down the sideline for a pick 6 when Harbaugh pulls a Woody Hayes and punches Wyatt as he passes by. With tremendous field position, we score and win.

SMU 38 Navy 21 - New defensive scheme baffles Navy - Finally.

SMU 63 HBU 14 - On opening play HBU QB physically craps himself and pulls a garo yepremian as Gary scoops up ball for easy TD. Rest is easy as HBU on it's heels entire time.

SMU 41 UCF 38 - UCF has talent but is too laid back moving into conference schedule. SMU special teams make us proud including the game winning field goal as time expires.

SMU enters TOP 25 at number 25.

We win our remaining games to go undefeated - to make a statement after criticism last year for not having UCF in the playoff, the committee includes SMU, we win the national championship. New threads hit ponyfans regarding expanding Ford, Ford reseating, fire Jank cause he hasn't won a championship, etc.

How quickly does the NCAA set up shop?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:39 pm

SoCal_Pony wrote:Penciled Wins: (1-0) - HBU
Penciled Losses: (0-3) - TCU, Michigan, UCF
Road Games: (2-2) - NTSU, Tulane, UConn, Tulsa
Home Games* : (2-2) - Navy, Cincy, Coogs, Memphis

* - most challenging to achieve

Overall 5-7, more likely 6-6 than 4-8
I think this looks about right
RGV Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:13 pm

We have one of the top RB, OL, and QB groups in the league. Defensively, we are massively upgrading our weakest position (LB) and should be much better at DL and secondary. I think we will be over .500 in the league.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:43 pm

JasonB wrote:We have one of the top RB, OL, and QB groups in the league. Defensively, we are massively upgrading our weakest position (LB) and should be much better at DL and secondary. I think we will be over .500 in the league.

I tend to agree with you. If we can go 2-2 in the preseason it shapes up to be a nice year.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mustangxc » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:14 pm

I'm thinking 6-6 with wins over HBU, UNT, UConn, Tulsa, Cincinnati and one or two wins against Navy, Tulane, or Houston. Losses to TCU, Michigan, UCF, and Memphis.
mustangxc

Return to Football