PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Malin and McMahon

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Malin and McMahon

Postby Grider » Thu Jul 20, 2000 4:16 pm

I got a real kick out of this one! A guy I used to work with in Dallas is a big Cowboys fan. He met a guy last week in Witchita Falls who was a scout for WWF's XFL. It seems the guy was an ex SMU coach, Steve Malin!!! <A HREF="http://dallasnews.com/sports_day/football/cowboys/nfl/114550_20morn.html" TARGET=_blank>http://dallasnews.com/sports_day/football/cowboys/nfl/114550_20morn.html</A>
... _ _ .._
Grider
All-American

Re: Malin and McMahon

Postby Hoofprint » Thu Jul 20, 2000 5:25 pm

Seemed like a bit of a shot from Jodie at the end there. Funny, but a little brutal.

A lot of folks complained about Jodie's coverage of the Mustangs - let's hope Rana Cash is better.
Hoofprint
All-American

Postby jettison » Thu Jul 20, 2000 6:46 pm

I'm not sure it was brutal enough!!!

That guy probably belongs in a joke league like the XFL. His actions really hurt the Mustangs last year right smack in the middle of the recruiting period, not to mention the self-imposed sanctions and scholarship cut SMU took on for the next couple of years.

Cheers to Jodie Valade for that quip... a little bit of redemption after such lackluster beat coverage of SMU last season!
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby D » Fri Jul 21, 2000 1:54 am

I'm not sure I agree with you about the XFL being a joke. I like some of the changes they have made to the game(except for the no fair catch rule) and I think there is room for another league. I also think McMahon will invest whatever it takes to make the league competitive. It also provides players with another opportunity to continue playing football after college and not have to move to Canada or Europe. I'm hoping it works out because I can't get into the WFL or CFL and would like something to watch on Sundays instead of the Lakers vs whoever.
D
Varsity

Postby SMU00 » Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:02 pm

ANYTHING with Vince McMahon is a joke. That guy's a complete joke.
SMU00
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Sun Jul 23, 2000 11:57 pm

How can you say Vince McMahon is a joke. The man is a marketing/entertainment genius. He MADE wrestling what it is today. WWF is the definition of the word sucess. He may be a sleeze ball but he is no joke. I bet the XFL will be sucessful, trust me, Vinny Mac knows what he is doing.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with SMU, but I have to defend Vince McMahon, just ask Grider, he will back me up.

I laughed pretty hard when I heard Malin is with the XFL. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U

[This message has been edited by SMUPonyFan (edited 07-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by PonyPride (edited 07-24-2000).]
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby jettison » Mon Jul 24, 2000 12:00 pm

The joke is on everybody who watches WWF. A genius! Ha!
jettison
Junior Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Mon Jul 24, 2000 1:49 pm

There is no joke about WWF beating Monday Night Football several times in ratings, and WWF is on Cable, Football on National television.
If you are saying WWF is funny, you are right. It is the funniest show on TV, and a better soap opera than anything on daytime TV. Take some time and watch it before you make senseless coments. There is a reason why millions of people watch it. It is great TV!

Now, back to SMU, I will not respond to any more comments about WWF unless you send me a personal message. I don't want to make people mad because we are not talking about SMU.

------------------

[This message has been edited by SMUPonyFan (edited 07-24-2000).]
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby Pony4Life » Mon Jul 24, 2000 3:03 pm

Don't necessarily decide that high ratings mean great programming. Infomercials, Rush Limbaugh, NASCAR and figure skating get high ratings, too, and they're useless wastes of airtime, too.

<<There is a reason why millions of people watch it.>> Right -- there's also a reason people stop and look at car wrecks. But that doesn't make them quality entertainment.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby jettison » Mon Jul 24, 2000 6:23 pm

Right on Pony4life!

This thread originally was about SMU, and still is for all I am concerned, because SMU has been trying to shed the glam-rock, corrupted, best-players-money-can-buy past... efforts that Malin only compromised with his recruiting and 'test preparation' methods.

So, in my humble opinion, the XFL is the perfect fit for such a person, because the XFL everything that SMU, any other college program and any professional sports team should strive NOT to be. Just because millions of inbred, uneducated, and bored television junkies watch the WWF doesn't mean it's created by geniuses and is worthwhile entertainment programming.
jettison
Junior Varsity

Return to Football