PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

High School Games at Ford Stadium?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

High School Games at Ford Stadium?

Postby Houston Pony » Fri Aug 17, 2001 9:17 pm

Did anybody else who read the Morning News pieces by Keith Whitmire agree with the bit about high school games being important?

I say every week SMU doesn't have a home game, we invite a DISD school and an opponent from another district to square off and get a chance to check out Ford Stadium. Maybe we'd lose money, but I bet it might help the recruiting efforts.

It isn't 1982, and our beloved Ponies aren't running roughshod over the Horns and Aggies. I'd wager that most DISD students don't know SMU exists, much less has a football squad.

I was at the Wichita Falls-Brownwood playoff game last December, and saw how impressed the parents and fans were with the digs.
What do you all think?
Houston Pony
Junior Varsity

Re: High School Games at Ford Stadium?

Postby Mickey » Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:41 am

I was also at the Brownwood / Wichita Falls game. Great Event and we should have more games like that at Ford. Never understood why they don't use Ford for more HS playoff games. Maybe SMU wants to use it for soccer games and the low three digit crowds they draw.

I agree with you, give Ford more exposure to the HS crowds. It is a great stadium.
Mickey
All-American

Postby H-E-B Mustang » Sat Aug 18, 2001 12:46 am

I agree. High school games at Ford would not only help recruiting. They would also give us the opportunity to showcase our stadium and our campus. We need players and we need fan support from the locals in the Dallas area. Anything we can do to improve our visibility and our image is good for our athletic programs and for the school.
H-E-B Mustang
All-American

Postby MTSURIM » Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:51 pm

I agree....there is no reason not too. Nothing but good things could come from it. Exposure to the community is going to be cruical for us to increase our fan base.
MTSURIM

Postby Dirty Bird » Wed Aug 29, 2001 7:34 pm

Does anybody know if there are any HS games scheduled for this season?
Dirty Bird
Junior Varsity

Return to Football