PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jamall Powell

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jamall Powell

Postby ponyfan37 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:28 am

“The offensive line recap comes from Jonathan Brewer, an offensive quality control analyst who has been elevated to work full-time as offensive line coach Jamal Powell deals with an undisclosed illness. Dykes is hopeful Powell will return at some point during the season. Former Kansas offensive line coach Zach Yenser has also been added as an analyst.“

Anyone know what the deal is? Doesn’t sound so great, considering Dykes is just hoping he returns this season.

https://theathletic.com/461501/2018/08/ ... -practice/
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Re: Jamall Powell

Postby Dutch » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:57 pm

i know what the deal is. the deal is you took info from behind a paywall and posted it on a free site. the exact reason the guys at 247/scout DIDN'T post anything about this b/c it is a sensitive subject involving someone's health and they knew some twerp would run over here and let fly.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUstang07 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:34 am

That article isn’t behind a paywall. It’s free for everyone
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby malonish » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:05 am

"Start FREE trial to read full story"

Paywall
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyfan37 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:33 pm

Dutch wrote:i know what the deal is. the deal is you took info from behind a paywall and posted it on a free site. the exact reason the guys at 247/scout DIDN'T post anything about this b/c it is a sensitive subject involving someone's health and they knew some twerp would run over here and let fly.

I posted a couple sentences from an a website that I subscribe to. Get over yourself. I was asking a legitimate question. If it was so secretive, then it wouldn’t have been posted on a website that has thousands of subscribers.
Pony up!
ponyfan37
Varsity

Postby malonish » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:31 pm

It's kind of a big deal because the folks you depend on for insider info may have sources that know who they told what so when it gets out they no longer talk to them. This is turn devalues your subscription by giving you and everyone else less content.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm

Man - Moose and Squirrel are taking over everything in the US. Ask Boris and Natasha.

Its football.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:52 pm

My prayer is for he and his families health and well being.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMUstang07 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:20 pm

malonish wrote:"Start FREE trial to read full story"

Paywall

I was able to read the full story and did not start any free trial. May join though. Heard their stuff is good.
SMUstang07
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Sat Aug 11, 2018 2:34 pm

malonish wrote:It's kind of a big deal because the folks you depend on for insider info may have sources that know who they told what so when it gets out they no longer talk to them. This is turn devalues your subscription by giving you and everyone else less content.

NO, that isn't true at all.

1) Posting information on a paid news side doesn't make the news "private". It isn't like whispering into your best friend's ear. It it was posted in the Athletic, or any other site, it is out there. As a journalist, you either keep the information to yourself in order to respect privacy, or you post it. It doesn't matter where you post it. It's like saying that if someone talks about an article in The Economist that they are going to ruin the source The Economist used to generate the article just because you have to pay to get access to it. By posting the information in The Athletic, they are choosing to expose the source. It doesn't get exposed by posting it here.

2) If you had a subscription to The Athletic, which is a fantastic source by the way, you would already know that the entire staff has subscriptions to scout/247. If Billy says he didn't want to post information there because he doesn't want it to get to Pony Fans and expose a source, he is either full of it or stupid.

3) Have you ever heard people on The Ticket reference articles from The Athletic? Absolutely! They have referenced it on The Fan and ESPN as well. As long as you make sure to note where you got the information from, that is typically encouraged by pay sites. It is how they make their money - more people become aware of the information on the site, see value, and join. Cut and paste of entire articles is discouraged, but talking about the content as long as there is a reference is totally legal and makes the site money.

* - full disclosure - I was banned from Scout because several years ago I noted that one of their writers was vindictive towards June after he was banned from practice for writing up confidential material.
JasonB

Postby SMUGradCox » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:18 am

Dutch wrote:i know what the deal is. the deal is you took info from behind a paywall and posted it on a free site. the exact reason the guys at 247/scout DIDN'T post anything about this b/c it is a sensitive subject involving someone's health and they knew some twerp would run over here and let fly.

No one owns information once it's out there.
SMUGradCox
Scout Team

Postby Mexmustang » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:18 am

Once you.publish, whether for a subscription service or free (supported by advertizing) plagiarism and/or failure to credit the source is your only protection.

In short, there is no difference or super secret protection between articles in the Dallas Morning News, CNN, or Scout, essentially they have all become public domain. Each of these sources require subscriptions.

However, Bus is right, we should voice our concern over the well being of our coach and his family, not some silly Rocky and Bullwinkle arguments about some naive belief that any publishing service has super secret rights, that no other publisher has.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Return to Football