PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Did We Ever Have an Interest in Tom Herman?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Did We Ever Have an Interest in Tom Herman?

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:25 pm

JasonB wrote:Players are one thing. The defensive staff he put together at SMU was awful... is that going to be better?

The big concern I would have is the trainer. The difference with Kaz is huge. I don't think the training staff will allow them to compete physically in the SEC.

He has a proven DC although his success has waned recently. As opposed to when at SMU, they are recruiting heavily on defense and have highly rated DLs, with offers from most all SEC schools including Alabama, already committed. Thinking that a trainer at Arkansas would not have the ability to train SEC caliber athletes is laughable. Do you think it is something in the water?
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Did We Ever Have an Interest in Tom Herman?

Postby mavsrage311 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:47 pm

He's confusing training staffs with strength and conditioning staff. 2 completely different things, with only the strength and conditioning staff being controllable by Chad.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:58 pm

Well the past S&C staff put 2 rookie starters on the defensive line for the Patriots. I would imagine the new one can at least put a team on the field in an SEC game.
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:57 pm

Sorry, meant S&C coach. It will be interesting to see if they keep the linemen at 280 like they did at SMU, because if they do they will get creamed...
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:59 pm

JasonB wrote:Sorry, meant S&C coach. It will be interesting to see if they keep the linemen at 280 like they did at SMU, because if they do they will get creamed...

He is slimming down the OL like he did here. Said they were too big for his offense.
mrydel

Postby gohogs14 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:42 pm

Rivals has Arkansas ranked 16th nationally in 2019 recruiting right now but the only problem is that’s about 5th in the SEC West alone. Insane.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:21 pm

I think Chad and Sonny will do well. I think both are at a better fit for them.
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:26 pm

mrydel wrote:
JasonB wrote:Sorry, meant S&C coach. It will be interesting to see if they keep the linemen at 280 like they did at SMU, because if they do they will get creamed...

He is slimming down the OL like he did here. Said they were too big for his offense.

That will be interesting to watch. A pass-first spread worked well with JM for a while in the SEC, but A&M didn't have a passive blocking scheme with small OL... they had NFL guys. The physical play by corners on the outside might force the pocket to collapse before the recievers open up.

Defensively, they are going to have the same issues on the line that they had here and that they have at OK State.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 pm

I think the DL will be the strongpoint of the overall team
mrydel

Postby gostangs » Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:13 pm

I don't harbor the same ill will to Chad that many on here seem to. Wish his departure had been more elegant and less dicky - but he probably does also in hindsight. We both got out of the relationship what we wanted to -he got a bigger job and we came off the floor to return to relevance in our conference.

His issue is you can own the state of Arkansas in recruiting and have a great recruiting year, but who is he going to beat in the SEC west? Alabama? A&M? Auburn? its just nearly impossible to see the light of day in that conference, and I still don't think his staff is all that great.

Great offensive mind, and obviously high energy. That will take Arkansas to a better spot, but still buried.

What's interesting is that SMU seems to be recruiting at a better clip than past years, and that was supposed to be Chad's big strength.
gostangs

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:05 pm

To be fair, Chad Morris and his staff came to SMU and had to recruit guys into a program that was one of the worst, if not THE WORST in Division I-FBS. Sonny can at least start recruiting into a program that went to a bowl game and had some guys drafted into the NFL (doesn't matter that they were JJ recruits...still helps the school's reputation and Sonny going forward)
Charleston Pony

Postby ponyboy » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:22 am

Same. We’ve wandered far into irrational territory with all the Chad hate. Thankful for what he did here, all in all
ponyboy

Postby Arkpony » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:47 am

I also hold no ill will for Chad. I hope he will do well at Arkansas and I will finally, after all these years, be rooting for the Razorbacks.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mrydel » Sat Aug 18, 2018 6:56 pm

Judge:

Arkansas plays Ole Miss in Little Rock on SMUs open date. I’ll get us a couple of tickets if you want to go. And if so let me know if your lovely wife would be interested and I will get 3 tickets. I have parking available across the street from the stadium.
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:48 pm

mrydel wrote:Judge:

Arkansas plays Ole Miss in Little Rock on SMUs open date. I’ll get us a couple of tickets if you want to go. And if so let me know if your lovely wife would be interested and I will get 3 tickets. I have parking available across the street from the stadium.

Will the chipmunk let you park there?
smupony94

PreviousNext

Return to Football