PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs north Texas state predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs north Texas state predictions

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:30 am

It's game week folks, let's go Mustangs!
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: SMU vs north Texas state predictions

Postby BIGHORSE » Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:40 am

Mustangs win a close game with 44-35 win.
BIGHORSE
Hall of Famer

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:22 am

SMU -12
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:04 am

UNT favored by 4 and over under is at 70.

Here are the factors I would put into play:
* We were the better team last season
* UNT recruiting classes are rated significantly worse over the past 3 seasons than SMU. They aren't building a great team through recruiting to plug holes from graduation. SMU has a much better talent line coming in to fill spots.
* UNT has a GT kicker. They have a transfer eligible now on one of the lines. And that is it. SMU has added GTs at RT, 2 WR, DE, DT, and 2 S, all of whom are fighting for starting positions. They also have a transfer from A&M who is a starter and 3 JUCOs who are fighting for starting spot. SMU has definitely upgraded the team across the board.
* UNT graduated a big player at RB, and have unknowns to fill that spot. Defensively, they graduated easily their stud in the secondary, and have unknowns to fill. SMU graduated two great WR, and backfilled with transfers from P5 schools. A great center and plugged a JUCO and KU RT. A great DE and plug in a P5 transfer. Some okay DT and plug in a P5 transfer and have highly regarded recruits coming of age.

UNTs offense is going to be as good as it was last year, and their D is going to be as bad as it was last season. SMU's D is going to be much improved, and I think SMU's offense, while losing two great playmakers, is going to still be good.

I'll take SMU to win straight up. I might take the under, because as the game moves along, I think SMU will run the ball a ton and eat clock.
JasonB

Postby BUS » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:32 am

Agree with the improvement and back filling the holes that SMU has/had.
Want to see a smooth transition of plays and play calls. Really needing to see the D improve and I think with this coaching staff it will. I think I counted 5 or maybe 6 DT's over 300 and some at 320. Now we SHOULD have a rotation..

Go Mustangs
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby East Coast Mustang » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:14 am

38-30 Mustangs.

We’re considerably better from a talent standpoint; but they’ve got continuity on their side and this is their Super Bowl so they’ll be fired up. I think we’ll be ready for the challenge and will run the ball at will on them in the second half.
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:43 am

I'm going to go with my heart and pick the Mustangs to win a close one in Denton 37-33. Not confident about our red zone offense.
Charleston Pony

Postby Monty_The_Mustang » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:26 am

SMU wins by a TD. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes SMU a few games to get rolling with all the new guys in the two-deep.

Watching all the games yesterday, we have really separated ourselves from the CUSA/WAC type teams. Their OL looked really skinny compared to ours this year.
Monty_The_Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby dalpony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:54 am

37-24 SMU
dalpony
Varsity

Postby OLfan » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:12 pm

41-28 Mustangs

UNT defense will struggle vs SMU offense. Will run all over them.
Should be best SMU defense that Litrell era Mean Green has faced.
UNT has a really good QB (one tough SOB), but don’t see their offense will be any better than last year.
OLfan
Junior Varsity

Postby crazy horse » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:58 pm

35-17

SMUs offense is not as prolific as last year, but our defense is slightly better. North Texas keeps it close for three quarters to entertain their fans.
"Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

New post Rhett Lashlee - College Football's Coach Of The Year
crazy horse
All-American

Postby leopold » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:09 pm

41-31 SMU

I’m looking at this matchup on a position-by-position basis and I don’t see them winning many of them.

Honestly, the biggest question mark is Sonny. I think Sonny does a fine job and we win but this game will be as much of an assessment of him as anybody on the team.
Last edited by leopold on Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:19 pm

Not much respect for UNT (as expected on this board) even with them coming off a 9 win season. I expect exactly the opposite from their faithful and I'm sure the vast majority expect them to win this game. Should be a good one.
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:29 pm

I feel better about this season with Sonny Dykes as our coach, as opposed to the used car salesman. Sonny brought in a much better staff, and has done a very good job plugging gaping holes everywhere, left by the Full Tilt boogie man.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby AusTxPony » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:25 pm

^^^Agree. This defensive staff is so much better. And we have improved our lot with new guys. I expect Moore to have a big game. Offensively, Hicks has something to prove after that Bowl game. I believe he will, with a running game against the NTU defense and short passes. And there is the deep threat with Prosche and Reggie. CJ returning punts should provide field position. If SMU wins turnover battle, they definitely win, so 42-31.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football