PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Defense is Gonna be Good

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Defense is Gonna be Good

Postby Jackets N Pones » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:22 am

We have some players on D. I know it doesn’t show up in box score, but I honestly believe the emphasis on physicality discussed during camp showed up last night. 4Q game but the early targeting call on 3rd and 25 (on a surrender dump off pass) was brutal and hurt our momentum. Then the Hicks pick six and it was just too big a hole to climb out of. We did have some major defensive stands that were a “game within the game” that we won where normally our D would lay down. Rodney Clemons (was friggin awesome), 11, 2, 14, 35 and others were flying around and laying the wood. Guy that got bounced for garbage targeting call is obviously another physical guy we lost early. Wyatt went down (is he ok?) and also guy we lost for targeting - that’s two starters in secondary we lost that NTU was obviously exploiting. Our guys just got worn out on D because offense couldn’t get anything going, (but with the talent we have on O we know that will fall into place-just need time to pick up new system). First game of season is always tough to get conditioning where it needs to be, especially traveling and in the heat. Also, it’s not like NTU was simply lining up and doing whatever they wanted, they were relying on some gadget screens and misdirection and smartly took advantage of our guys being amped up and over pursuing. Correctable. Oh yeah also the dropped INT early was a dagger. Pick that off and take it to the house. Correctable, and would have changed the game at that point. I know it was NTU, they are inferior, blah blah blah - no they are a good college football team and are poised to have a great year. Their coach will probably get hired by one of the big guns and the cycle continues. It was one game, we were not favored to win, we are now 0-1 just like half the teams out there. Other half is 1-0. Yes it was bad but I’m telling you we have some hosses on D out there. Coach Kane and staff are the real deal. Can’t wait to watch us ball out against TCU. Pony Up.
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Re: Defense is Gonna be Good

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:28 am

Will be interesting to see if we can compete with TCU, but can't run only 43 plays to your opponent's 94 and expect your defense not to be dragging. UNT tried to run the ball early but didn't have much more success than we did. Would be nice if we could get some pressure on the opposing QB but UNT whipped our guys in the trenches so I'm expecting the TCU and Michigan games to get ugly.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:56 am

Jackets N Pones wrote:We have some players on D. I know it doesn’t show up in box score, but I honestly believe the emphasis on physicality discussed during camp showed up last night. 4Q game but the early targeting call on 3rd and 25 (on a surrender dump off pass) was brutal and hurt our momentum. Then the Hicks pick six and it was just too big a hole to climb out of. We did have some major defensive stands that were a “game within the game” that we won where normally our D would lay down. Rodney Clemons (was friggin awesome), 11, 2, 14, 35 and others were flying around and laying the wood. Guy that got bounced for garbage targeting call is obviously another physical guy we lost early. Wyatt went down (is he ok?) and also guy we lost for targeting - that’s two starters in secondary we lost that NTU was obviously exploiting. Our guys just got worn out on D because offense couldn’t get anything going, (but with the talent we have on O we know that will fall into place-just need time to pick up new system). First game of season is always tough to get conditioning where it needs to be, especially traveling and in the heat. Also, it’s not like NTU was simply lining up and doing whatever they wanted, they were relying on some gadget screens and misdirection and smartly took advantage of our guys being amped up and over pursuing. Correctable. Oh yeah also the dropped INT early was a dagger. Pick that off and take it to the house. Correctable, and would have changed the game at that point. I know it was NTU, they are inferior, blah blah blah - no they are a good college football team and are poised to have a great year. Their coach will probably get hired by one of the big guns and the cycle continues. It was one game, we were not favored to win, we are now 0-1 just like half the teams out there. Other half is 1-0. Yes it was bad but I’m telling you we have some hosses on D out there. Coach Kane and staff are the real deal. Can’t wait to watch us ball out against TCU. Pony Up.

Very good observation ! The defense is much better than last year's. When you consider that NT ran 90+
plays in 90 degree heat , and actually our D only gave up 32 pts. .....not that bad a performance.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:01 am

I think it looked very similar to last years defense in the first half of the year before Mixon, Jordan Wyatt and other injuries. Good on first and second down-can't get off the field on 3rd Down. We were improved on Defense in the First Half last year too. Even with their star RB Jeffrey Wilson SMU held NTSU to 69 yards rushing in 2017-so I wouldn't put too much stock in the improved run defense until it is tested by a strong run team

Obviously, the offense didn't help but the Defense didn't make the plays they needed to get off the field either
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Jackets N Pones » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:19 pm

Love watching this SMU Defense! Keep it going boys.
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Applause all around! Those linebackers were awesome. And the swarming tackling. They can win games for us.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby docabel » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Compare the tackling of this years team to those of the JJ era when the D would run most of the preseason without full contact...
docabel
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:59 pm

Stallion wrote:I think it looked very similar to last years defense in the first half of the year before Mixon, Jordan Wyatt and other injuries.

:lol: That's a good one.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Return to Football