PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expectations for Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Expectations for Dykes

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:10 am

We may be expecting a little much in Year 1. Seems it took until year 3 at his last two stops to get things going.

Looking back on his initial 3 years at La Tech...

Year 1:
5-7 with no notable wins - a number of blowout losses.

Year 2:
1-4 start including a 3 TD drubbing by a crappy Hawaii team at home. Then rolled off 7 consecutive wins (5 on the road) and went to a bowl - almost knocked off top 15 TCU team in bowl.

Year 3:
9-1 start to season with only loss being the memorable A&M Johnny football 59-57 thriller. Ranked as high at #19 in polls.

Looking at Cal:

Year 1:
1-11 and got drilled by everyone but Portland State.

Year 2:
5-7 with no notable wins.

Year 3:
8-5 and raked as high as #20 in the polls.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Expectations for Dykes

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:52 am

the problem is not dykes.
he will ultimately turn this around but we will suffer this year.
I was pleasantly surprised at the defensive intensity. we did lose a starting db one play into the game.
hopefully we can get a passing game going at some point this season.
the o-line looked weak.
Nacho
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Fresno Mustang » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:03 am

I disagree with you on this one. Dykes inherited a decent roster and his staff addressed a lot of positions Morris' left the weakest. This isn't 2014 when Morris inherited a mess or every other coaching transition at SMU since the DP. This team has enough talent to make a bowl this year and that needs to be the expectation for Dykes. Rebuilds shouldn't take more than 3-4 years, look at USF, Memphis and a bunch of other schools.
SMU Class of 2014
Fresno Mustang
All-American

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:10 am

Fresno Mustang wrote:I disagree with you on this one. Dykes inherited a decent roster and his staff addressed a lot of positions Morris' left the weakest. This isn't 2014 when Morris inherited a mess or every other coaching transition at SMU since the DP. This team has enough talent to make a bowl this year and that needs to be the expectation for Dykes. Rebuilds shouldn't take more than 3-4 years, look at USF, Memphis and a bunch of other schools.

Thank you! I’m tired of the Dykes doesn’t have a good team. They whooped NTCC last year. The only difference is the coach and the play calling and lack of preparedness.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby econpony'10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:19 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Fresno Mustang wrote:I disagree with you on this one. Dykes inherited a decent roster and his staff addressed a lot of positions Morris' left the weakest. This isn't 2014 when Morris inherited a mess or every other coaching transition at SMU since the DP. This team has enough talent to make a bowl this year and that needs to be the expectation for Dykes. Rebuilds shouldn't take more than 3-4 years, look at USF, Memphis and a bunch of other schools.

Thank you! I’m tired of the Dykes doesn’t have a good team. They whooped NTCC last year. The only difference is the coach and the play calling and lack of preparedness.

I would say that not having the best receiver in college football to throw the ball up to would be quite a difference. If you do recall, he had 163 yards and 4 TD's that game. Everyone is overlooking that we lost an absolute game changer and have nothing even comparable to replace Sutton or Quinn. Having those two guys as weapons on the offense opened up everything else. That is the difference.
econpony'10
Recruit

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:25 am

i'm not ready to set my hair on fire yet. yes that was a horrible performance on Saturday. no doubt about it. Hicks is not going to have an instant transformation. the o-ine didn't open anything for the rbs. the receivers except for proche are an unknown.
the d i'm not so worried about unless like Saturday they are on the field too long.
Nacho

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:42 am

Fresno Mustang wrote:shouldn't take more than 3-4 years

Hey be patient....just wait a few more years!
Heck I started waiting in '92 & we're gonna get real good in just a few more years!

:roll:
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyTime » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:08 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

Heck I started waiting in '92 & we're gonna get real good in just a few more years!

June did go 1-11 prior to 4 straight Bowl games.

Chad went 2-10 in year 1.

Not sure why everyone is really expecting anything different. I don't really understand that there are many who seem to think that this team was set up as a bowl contender.

Fact: Chad was desperate to leave because he knew the dropoff that was about to occur in 2018. Would have happened regardless of HC.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:17 am

PonyTime wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

June did go 1-11 prior to 4 straight Bowl games.

Chad went 2-10 in year 1.

Not sure why everyone is really expecting anything different. I don't really understand that there are many who seem to think that this team was set up as a bowl contender.

Fact: Chad was desperate to leave because he knew the dropoff that was about to occur in 2018. Would have happened regardless of HC.

only worse. van would have been back.
Nacho

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:57 am

PonyTime wrote:Not sure why everyone is really expecting anything different.

Agree 100%
Personally I think Chad left us in a mess...defense/QB/etc..
But most that have left...have left us in a mess...so no surprise.

Chad could see what was coming...
Chad loses to Tulane and he'd still be here selling his BS
I'm so glad he's gone.

Just to be clear I really like Sonny.
Sonny wants to be here.
The people wanting Sonny gone imo are either venting, pulling our chain, or nuts.

I am in the minority...and it is kind of crazy
but I see the June years as about the only time I even had
the opportunity to travel to a bowl game....to have a little joy.
Sure June left us in a mess but at least we had some good times too.
What other coach that left can say that?

My point is the Merry-Go-Around since 1992....hell it's always the exact same phrases
year after year after year after year after year....it's always "watch in 3 years we'll be good"

I am getting older....I have known many great Mustang Fans that croaked before the famous
"few more years" happened....now I worry if I'll ever see us at least have like a UCF type success?

I sure hope so....Go Mustangs!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:31 pm

econpony'10 wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:

I would say that not having the best receiver in college football to throw the ball up to would be quite a difference. If you do recall, he had 163 yards and 4 TD's that game. Everyone is overlooking that we lost an absolute game changer and have nothing even comparable to replace Sutton or Quinn. Having those two guys as weapons on the offense opened up everything else. That is the difference.

Yes CS and even Mr Irrelevant were fantastic players and they're a big miss. I don't care how fast either one of those two are or how good they are. The way that BH and the play calling altogether would have not made a difference. Correct me if I'm wrong but that OL was primarily people from last year. We couldn't get a running game going and Ben couldn't pass to save his life. Those WRs wouldn't have made much of a difference of how bad the offense was playing altogether. Just my opinion but I didn't care for seeing one of SD's answers was NTCC was great. They were not. We were just extraordinarily awful.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby MV pony » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:47 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
PonyTime wrote:Not sure why everyone is really expecting anything different.

Agree 100%
Personally I think Chad left us in a mess...defense/QB/etc..
But most that have left...have left us in a mess...so no surprise.

Chad could see what was coming...
Chad loses to Tulane and he'd still be here selling his BS
I'm so glad he's gone.

Just to be clear I really like Sonny.
Sonny wants to be here.
The people wanting Sonny gone imo are either venting, pulling our chain, or nuts.

I am in the minority...and it is kind of crazy
but I see the June years as about the only time I even had
the opportunity to travel to a bowl game....to have a little joy.
Sure June left us in a mess but at least we had some good times too.
What other coach that left can say that?

My point is the Merry-Go-Around since 1992....hell it's always the exact same phrases
year after year after year after year after year....it's always "watch in 3 years we'll be good"

I am getting older....I have known many great Mustang Fans that croaked before the famous
"few more years" happened....now I worry if I'll ever see us at least have like a UCF type success?

I sure hope so....Go Mustangs!

+1

The last time I wrote SMU a big check was after a JJ bowl win that I wasn't expecting.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Mustangs_Maroons » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:25 pm

I don't know what the expectations are for Dykes, but the difference in what expectations are and should be for SMU football and where we are is truly embarrassing for all involved - the students, the university, the president, alums, anyone associated with this university should not have to be affiliated with this terrible product on national TV.

Per a CBS article today, to illustrate how the abyss of distance between SMU football and the supposed rivals across the metroplex. We are so bad that we are clumped into being as irrelevant as Southern, which I don't even know if there are division 1 or not. Well done administration, well done Turner. :roll:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... -rankings/
14. TCU (16): You won't see much movement from TCU in the rankings early with games against Southern and SMU in the first two weeks. All of this sets up for TCU to be a top 15 team in Week 3 when it takes on Ohio State at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Mustangs_Maroons
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:32 pm

Dykes needs to have the chance to get another 1.5 classes here before any honest evaluation imo
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponypatrick » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:03 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:

Hey "Chicken Little"......LOL......."the only difference is...." And we are playing on the road; and no Quinn; and no
Sutton;and our best RB is hurting; and we lose arguably our best defensive player in the first couple minutes; then pick 6
and "Mo" was wearing green from then on.

I see us giving the frogs all they can handle this week !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Next

Return to Football