PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expectations for Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Expectations for Dykes

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 2:24 pm

ponypatrick wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Fresno Mustang wrote:I disagree with you on this one. Dykes inherited a decent roster and his staff addressed a lot of positions Morris' left the weakest. This isn't 2014 when Morris inherited a mess or every other coaching transition at SMU since the DP. This team has enough talent to make a bowl this year and that needs to be the expectation for Dykes. Rebuilds shouldn't take more than 3-4 years, look at USF, Memphis and a bunch of other schools.

Thank you! I’m tired of the Dykes doesn’t have a good team. They whooped NTCC last year. The only difference is the coach and the play calling and lack of preparedness.

Hey "Chicken Little"......LOL......."the only difference is...." And we are playing on the road; and no Quinn; and no
Sutton;and our best RB is hurting; and we lose arguably our best defensive player in the first couple minutes; then pick 6
and "Mo" was wearing green from then on.

I see us giving the frogs all they can handle this week !

Maybe for their 3rd stringers...
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:03 pm

We should have at least been competitive in that game. I understand losing at a potential conference champs place, but we looked horrific.

We will find out a lot this coming week in terms of how good the coaching staff is - hopefully we show some fight. If by any chance we win, I'll be willing to forgive and forget - ALOT.

But yeah, Dykes wasn't handed an empty cupboard.
Welcome to the 2019 version of 'Cougin' it'
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby skyscraper » Tue Sep 04, 2018 3:55 pm

Dykes doesn't have any excuses. He didn't inherit a dumpster fire like Chad did.
Rewriting history to make it seem like he was handed a bag of nothing isn't accurate.
Most of us were predicting 5 to 6 wins this season because of the schedule. The fact that it now appears to be 2 or 3 wins is a direct indictment of him and his coaching staff.
There's still plenty of time to turn it around, but the way we lost to UNT was totally demoralizing.
skyscraper
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby econpony'10 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:32 pm

skyscraper wrote:Dykes doesn't have any excuses. He didn't inherit a dumpster fire like Chad did.
Rewriting history to make it seem like he was handed a bag of nothing isn't accurate.
Most of us were predicting 5 to 6 wins this season because of the schedule. The fact that it now appears to be 2 or 3 wins is a direct indictment of him and his coaching staff.
There's still plenty of time to turn it around, but the way we lost to UNT was totally demoralizing.

Go back to last season and take away Sutton and Quinn. Without them we win 2 games, Stephen F and Arkansas State. The other games we get crushed and give up 40+ points a game. Even with them we should've lost Cincy and Tulane. Quinn and Sutton had 22 catches, 228 yards and 4 TD's collectively vs. Uconn. I have no idea why people thought we would have a decent year with a much tougher schedule and losing so much offense with no replacements in waiting. We will be fine in a couple of years as Dykes seems to be recruiting well and the indoor facility will help. This is not on Dykes. The defense looks much improved, we just have to adapt and figure out how to get the offense going somehow if we want to win more than 1 game this year.
econpony'10
Recruit

Postby angryfan04 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:41 pm

UNT would have scored 70 last week-end on Chad's defense......he left at the right time.....
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby AusTxPony » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:00 pm

Expectations for Dykes? I EXPECT he'd better turn this around by Navy or we're in a load o' trouble! He doesn't have to win, but they'd better start playing football.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:43 pm

So can someone explain to me why Chad has easily handled NTCC but Sonny gets a pas at a war crime? Chad has nothing when he came on board. We were a team without a coach until he came aboard where JJ stopped recruiting for couple years.

Chad apparently gets no credit for converting Courtland to a WR and saw his talent. No, it’s considered basically cheating for him. I get people are upset but if we wanted to grow the program, we need to get great coaches who see this place as a pit stop until we’ve built it big enough to be a place to stay. Instead our AD and the donors are bunch of snowflakes and were so upset with someone leaving that we decided to get someone that no one else wanted. Someone who was an “analyst” for what like a year with no one even mentioning his name during rounds.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:48 pm

I figured this would cheer you all up.

https://youtu.be/rWmbuKSWLDE
One Trick Pony

Postby footballdad » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:49 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:So can someone explain to me why Chad has easily handled NTCC but Sonny gets a pas at a war crime? Chad has nothing when he came on board. We were a team without a coach until he came aboard where JJ stopped recruiting for couple years.

Chad apparently gets no credit for converting Courtland to a WR and saw his talent. No, it’s considered basically cheating for him. I get people are upset but if we wanted to grow the program, we need to get great coaches who see this place as a pit stop until we’ve built it big enough to be a place to stay. Instead our AD and the donors are bunch of snowflakes and were so upset with someone leaving that we decided to get someone that no one else wanted. Someone who was an “analyst” for what like a year with no one even mentioning his name during rounds.

Morris gets no credit for Courtland at WR because June Jones is the one that moved him. That was Chad the used car salesman trying to take credit for something he had nothing to do with.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby East Coast Mustang » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:22 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:So can someone explain to me why Chad has easily handled NTCC but Sonny gets a pas at a war crime?

Chad’s 2015 team needed a 21-pt fourth quarter to comeback at home to beat a UNT team that finished 1-11 and lost to an FCS school 66-7.

Sonny went on the road to face a UNT team coming off a 9-win season with an stud QB in front of their biggest crowd in school history.

Yes, Saturday sucked, but let’s keep things in perspective
2005 PonyFans.com Rookie of the Year Award Recipient
East Coast Mustang

Postby Shetland » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:48 am

I looked at the schedule up and down before season started and could not find 4 wins. The scheduke is brutal. NT was bad, but move on and see how we look by the time conference starts. At least by then itll be basketball season.
Shetland
Scout Team

Postby JasonB » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:31 am

The biggest problem (out of many) on Saturday was the performance of the OL. Great question on Monday about what impact not having an OL coach has on that unit. I'm not sure, but the OL should be as good or better than last year. No reason for that performance. They got beat individually and messed up the blocking schemes. It was a disaster that nobody should have expected from that group.
JasonB

Postby PonyTime » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:So can someone explain to me why Chad has easily handled NTCC but Sonny gets a pas at a war crime? Chad has nothing when he came on board. We were a team without a coach until he came aboard where JJ stopped recruiting for couple years.

Could you please explain the "loaded cupboard" that was handed off to Sonny? Ben Hicks?

Sonny had higher rated recruits at La Tech than what he was handed over from Chad here and he left Skip Holtz a better roster than Chad left him here at SMU.

Sonny recruited something like 9 national top 150s to La Tech. Only one national top 150 currently on roster at SMU (OL Livingston) and I think Chad only recruited 2 in his entire tenure.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Mustangsabu » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:09 am

I did not go to the game, I chose to go see FC Dallas instead. I followed along during the game and watched it on Sunday. It was awful, but as is the case every year, we have to wait until the season is done before anyone makes legit decisions about the state of affairs. Look around the country and you see scores of teams that got stunned. UNT may turn out to be pretty damn good this year and it will be no surprise when their coach gets a much bigger job.

Sonny didn't say it, Chad did, but I think it is true for Sonny. If he can't turn this thing around then it's not getting turned around. We were a 6-6 team last year basically (I maintain that Tulane should have had the winning touchdown) and lost two players in the draft. I expected Hicks to play a lot better, but to pile on him like people are doing is ridiculous. He has good career numbers, he hasn't turned into a bad QB overnight.

If this doesn't work out then we just need to drop to a division we can afford to be in. But until we reach that point, let's just wait and see how the narrative of this season actually runs.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:27 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:If this doesn't work out then we just need to drop to a division we can afford to be in

I fear that may be coming....if God-forbid it does....could we remain a "Division 1" basketball school while dropping down to a lower division for the football team?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football