PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Expectations for Dykes

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Expectations for Dykes

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:24 pm

Stallion wrote:PERSPECTIVE

Sonny has at least 23 players who have started substantial games at the Division 1A school level and SMU still looked incompetent on both offense and defense. The Head Coach and both Coordinators deserve an F and didn't have their team ready to compete.

We'll be seeing that 30-1 First Downs scoreboard screen-shot 44 minutes into the game for decades to come. You guys can take shots at Chad Morris all you want that doesn't change the fact that the current SMU coaching staff was humiliated last Saturday. One of the all-time great Coaching fails in SMU history with an experienced roster

GRADE: F

Or maybe all of those great Morris recruits you hyped, just aren't very good.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:52 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
East Coast Mustang wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:So can someone explain to me why Chad has easily handled NTCC but Sonny gets a pas at a war crime?

Chad’s 2015 team needed a 21-pt fourth quarter to comeback at home to beat a UNT team that finished 1-11 and lost to an FCS school 66-7.

Sonny went on the road to face a UNT team coming off a 9-win season with an stud QB in front of their biggest crowd in school history.

Yes, Saturday sucked, but let’s keep things in perspective

Okay that’s fair. However can we not agree that what June left us was far worse than Chad Morris left us. Chad was overall competitive with most opponents including TCU. We always took care of business with NTCC and I can’t think of SMU team that only gets one first down in the first half. That’s what for me has enraged with Sonny. The team looks like a drag and drop of December’s headless coach team.

In reality, who knows at this point. If this team falls flat on it's face that could just as easily be a reflection of the lack of talent on the roster, as it is an issue with the coaching.......no?

Chad inherited Sutton and Proche, and added Quinn to the mix to create the best trio in the AAC. Evan Brown and Justin Lawler both made their teams 53 man rosters.

What Morris receivers will make a big impact this season? What Morris recruits at all, are big time All AAC type players?

What if there are none? In that case, did Chad leave SMU worse off than June?

Might take until late in the season to really answer your question.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:51 am

It seems to me Sonny's recruiting has been an improvement over Chad's. Give it a year or two.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:05 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:Give it a year or two.
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:44 am

In my book he’s recruited no one until after they sign.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:47 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:Give it a year or two.

We've been hearing that for 25 years. Sparkman Hillcrest Funeral Home, has seen many SMU fans waiting "for next year". :twisted:
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:33 am

mtrout wrote:In my book he’s recruited no one until after they sign.

Signed and recruited two different mammals
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyTime » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:58 am

Sonny has at least 23 players who have started substantial games at the Division 1A school level and SMU still looked incompetent on both offense and defense. The Head Coach and both Coordinators deserve an F and didn't have their team ready to compete.

We'll be seeing that 30-1 First Downs scoreboard screen-shot 44 minutes into the game for decades to come. You guys can take shots at Chad Morris all you want that doesn't change the fact that the current SMU coaching staff was humiliated last Saturday. One of the all-time great Coaching fails in SMU history with an experienced roster

In that Case Chad gets 9 F grades out of 12 games for his initial year. Let's recap:

8 out of the 10 losses were by more than 3 TDs. Complete Blowouts The other two losses included a D2 team at home and a 9 point loss to Tulsa.

The last game was a 63-0 loss to Memphis where the team looked incompetent on offense and defense after having 11 warm up games to prepare.

I agree - Sonny and staff gets an F for week 1. But not much different from just about every game in Y1 under Chad.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:36 pm

I agree with Stallion.
JasonB

Postby smusportspage » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:39 pm

PonyTime wrote:

In that Case Chad gets 9 F grades out of 12 games for his initial year. Let's recap:

8 out of the 10 losses were by more than 3 TDs. Complete Blowouts The other two losses included a D2 team at home and a 9 point loss to Tulsa.
The last game was a 63-0 loss to Memphis where the team looked incompetent on offense and defense after having 11 warm up games to prepare.

I agree - Sonny and staff gets an F for week 1. But not much different from just about every game in Y1 under Chad.

I agree with PonyTime.....with a couple of Navy games thrown in for good measure :?
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby footballdad » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:05 pm

JasonB wrote:

I agree with Stallion.

Not surprising, since you are both very bullish about the talent on this team. Not sure how a team with that much more talent, gets embarrassingly curb stomped in every phase of the game?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 8:31 pm

We curb stomp NTCC last year with a team mostly returned. Yes we lost Sutton and Quinn but it was more than those two players. December rolled around and we were coachless and disaster ensues. Then first game of the year and NTCC doesn’t have their “star runningback” and we get pounded. Bowl game and this last Saturday game seem to show we have a coaching problem. That’s why it’s hard to see so many people making excuse for a coach who was never sought by any other school.

Last year was 54-17 at the half way point of the 4th quarter against NTCC.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:44 am

footballdad wrote:
JasonB wrote:

I agree with Stallion.

Not surprising, since you are both very bullish about the talent on this team. Not sure how a team with that much more talent, gets embarrassingly curb stomped in every phase of the game?

I was always critical of the defense and some of CM coaching, but I never blindly sold him - remember, I was supposedly the June lover?

Evaluate the team based on returning players. It isn't like we are relying on Chad's recruits:

- QB: same player, should be better
- RB: same players, should be better
- WR: drop off, absolutely.
- OL: Lost one guy, replaced by JUCO and P5 transfer and recruits. Should be better.
- DL: Wholesale changes, relying on transfers and Chad recruits.
- LB: Wholesale changes, JUCO and transfer, not Chad recruits.
- CB: Return everybody, plus add JUCO and transfer. Should be better.
- S: Return everybody, plus add two transfers. Should be better.

The problem areas on this team should be WR, DL, and LB. Every other area of the team should improve with experience, not with unknown CM recruits.

DL, LB, and WR are absolutely NOT the reasons we lost that game Saturday. I think I could argue pretty successfully, in fact, that LB and DL significantly improved over last year, and that the DL was mostly improved because of players CM recruited.

The failings on Saturday were in areas of the team that had returning starters, and who performed worse on Saturday than they did the previous year. That is a coaching failure.

I like everything about Dykes, and what he has said. Bullish on what he has done in recruiting so far. I like the physicality at practice and the mentality of the team. But he and the rest of the coaching staff absolutely gets an F for Saturday.
JasonB

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:03 pm

Time for a re-grade?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby Treadway21 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:46 am

Interesting.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21