PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Other Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Other Games

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:22 pm

lwjr wrote:Crowd at Ohio/W Michigan game make smu crowds look good

and it's a Thursday night, although we might have a better student turnout for a Thursday night game than a Saturday afternoon?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:26 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:UCF is playing themselves out of having any hope of a playoff invite. They needed convincing wins against Temple, Cincy and presumably Houston along with a lot of help from a lot of P5 teams to have any chance. Not a good showing so far on their home field against a team that lost to Buffalo and FCS Villanova on their own home field.

Looks like Central Florida might be starting to put it on Temple.

42-34 3:52 left in the 3rd

UCF will need to score at least 21 unanswered to finish this game to not lose a ton of respect. An 8 point win against a 5-4 team is not going to gain any respect among the P5 advocates. A 63-34 blowout will still leave them questioning UCF's defense, but will look a lot better to those not paying close attention.
Charleston Pony

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:UCF is playing themselves out of having any hope of a playoff invite. They needed convincing wins against Temple, Cincy and presumably Houston along with a lot of help from a lot of P5 teams to have any chance. Not a good showing so far on their home field against a team that lost to Buffalo and FCS Villanova on their own home field.

Looks like Central Florida might be starting to put it on Temple.

42-34 3:52 left in the 3rd

UCF will need to score at least 21 unanswered to finish this game to not lose a ton of respect. An 8 point win against a 5-4 team is not going to gain any respect among the P5 advocates. A 63-34 blowout will still leave them questioning UCF's defense, but will look a lot better to those not paying close attention.

Oh please
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:31 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:UCF will need to score at least 21 unanswered to finish this game to not lose a ton of respect. An 8 point win against a 5-4 team is not going to gain any respect among the P5 advocates. A 63-34 blowout will still leave them questioning UCF's defense, but will look a lot better to those not paying close attention.

But when Texas Christian and Baylor (who openly and systematically supports sexual assault of women) play a 61-58 game they put them both in the Top 5.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Other Games

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:34 pm

Neither Central Florida nor UCF have a chance for the playoff.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:36 pm

mrydel wrote:Neither Central Florida nor UCF have a chance for the playoff.

^^^^^^
One Trick Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:36 pm

Temple hanging with them sure doesn't help
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:46 pm

Temple hanging with them sure doesn't help

Does not matter
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Stupid coaching decision in a game with a bunch of scores still to come. Temple will be chasing that point the rest of the night.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:26 pm

Longest active streak at 21-0.

UCF with the 52-40 win over Owls.
HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:26 am

Most believe there is no chance of UCF making the Final Four, no matter what happens...but I want to see the dominoes start falling so the "Genius 13" have a really tough decision to make. Will be pulling for Pittsburgh to beat Virginia and go on and win out to win their division and play Clemson in the ACC Championship (UCF throttled Pitt who was their only P5 opponent), for Texas Tech to beat OU, Texas to beat West Virginia, Kentucky to beat Georgia, Nebraska to shock Ohio State (good luck with that), Penn State to beat Michigan, Northwestern to beat Notre Dame, Bama to beat LSU and for Cal to beat Washington State.
Charleston Pony

Postby JasonB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:22 am

Or, just root for ND and Georgia. If ND, Bama, Clemson, and Georgia are the selections and the Pac 12, Big 10 and Big 12 all are left out, changes will start to move forward.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:56 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Most believe there is no chance of UCF making the Final Four, no matter what happens...but I want to see the dominoes start falling so the "Genius 13" have a really tough decision to make. Will be pulling for Pittsburgh to beat Virginia and go on and win out to win their division and play Clemson in the ACC Championship (UCF throttled Pitt who was their only P5 opponent), for Texas Tech to beat OU, Texas to beat West Virginia, Kentucky to beat Georgia, Nebraska to shock Ohio State (good luck with that), Penn State to beat Michigan, Northwestern to beat Notre Dame, Bama to beat LSU and for Cal to beat Washington State.

You completely ignore the “We wont let the money leave the P5” factor. Several 2 loss teams would be placed ahead of UCF. They could very likely drop in the standings this next week. You need to watch the teams behind them rising as much as the ones above them possibly falling.
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:58 am

mrydel wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Most believe there is no chance of UCF making the Final Four, no matter what happens...but I want to see the dominoes start falling so the "Genius 13" have a really tough decision to make. Will be pulling for Pittsburgh to beat Virginia and go on and win out to win their division and play Clemson in the ACC Championship (UCF throttled Pitt who was their only P5 opponent), for Texas Tech to beat OU, Texas to beat West Virginia, Kentucky to beat Georgia, Nebraska to shock Ohio State (good luck with that), Penn State to beat Michigan, Northwestern to beat Notre Dame, Bama to beat LSU and for Cal to beat Washington State.

You completely ignore the “We wont let the money leave the P5” factor. Several 2 loss teams would be placed ahead of UCF. They could very likely drop in the standings this next week. You need to watch the teams behind them rising as much as the ones above them possibly falling.

I'm not ignoring and I'm well aware of the money grab factor. I just want to see the committee put in 2 teams with 2 losses each ahead of a team that has been unbeaten for 2 years as it strengthens the argument for expansion to an 8 team playoff.

Do I actually think UCF can play their way in? No, but I'm going to be pulling for every P5 team to have 2 or more losses (with the exception of Bama and Clemson because I can't see that happening and I would not mind seeing a rematch between those 2 for the title). I suspect that if UCF actually did get in as the # 4 seed and have to play Bama in the 1st round, the Tide would crush them and end any chance a G5 school would have going forward, but I still want to see it happen. Besides, it actually makes me more interested in who wins some of the P5 games I watch between teams I would otherwise not care about.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:40 pm

I am quite curious to see Central Florida win out and see how high they can get.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football