PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Other Games

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Other Games

Postby dalpony » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:28 am

Mrydel - i don't think most of us hate the State of Arkansas but rather have a distaste for Chad Morris on how he treated SMU and the team when he left --
dalpony
Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:36 pm

Auburn-Purdue is getting out of hand early.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:52 pm

dalpony wrote:Mrydel - i don't think most of us hate the State of Arkansas but rather have a distaste for Chad Morris on how he treated SMU and the team when he left --

Actually I was referring more to the old SWC days and the fact that most in Texas think we Arkansans only have 2 teeth in our inbred heads. Whereas I have 4 teeth of my own and only date my relatives, never marry.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby lwjr » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:53 pm

mrydel wrote:
dalpony wrote:Mrydel - i don't think most of us hate the State of Arkansas but rather have a distaste for Chad Morris on how he treated SMU and the team when he left --

Actually I was referring more to the old SWC days and the fact that most in Texas think we Arkansans only have 2 teeth in our inbred heads. Whereas I have 4 teeth of my own and only date my relatives, never marry.

Glad to see you have morals
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby mrydel » Fri Dec 28, 2018 3:14 pm

Is there some conspiracy to get rid of football in our country? I keep seeing the Alliance for Football commercial saying that football will not be stopped. Or could ESPN just not sell enough ads?
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:12 pm

mrydel wrote:Is there some conspiracy to get rid of football in our country? I keep seeing the Alliance for Football commercial saying that football will not be stopped. Or could ESPN just not sell enough ads?

Actually, there is...it is happening in some suburban high schools. Though it is small now, it is being grown by folks that worry about CTE The movement is being cast as "for the children" citing health concerns and risks.

A couple of administrators I've talked to said that Texas HS football may be gone in 30 years...replaced by lacrosse and soccer.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:49 am

peruna81 wrote:
mrydel wrote:Is there some conspiracy to get rid of football in our country? I keep seeing the Alliance for Football commercial saying that football will not be stopped. Or could ESPN just not sell enough ads?

Actually, there is...it is happening in some suburban high schools. Though it is small now, it is being grown by folks that worry about CTE The movement is being cast as "for the children" citing health concerns and risks.

A couple of administrators I've talked to said that Texas HS football may be gone in 30 years...replaced by lacrosse and soccer.

If you look at football participation levels, they are dropping significantly across the country, even in Texas. That is the reason for all of the rules changes.

If they don't fix the brain damage issue, football is going to go the way of boxing and be a sport that only the inner city kids participate in.
JasonB

Postby ponypatrick » Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:18 pm

mrydel wrote:I know most on this site hate the state of Arkansas, and our next FB opponent is Arkansas State, but ASU is playing in the Arizona Bowl tomorrow (their 6th or 7th in a row) and there is a side story about Coach Blake Anderson’s wife that is very touching. She has breast cancer but after thinking she was clean for about a year, it has returned and with a vengeance. She is in pretty rough shape but insisted on making the trip to Tucson to be with the team. Like most coaches wives, the players become like children and she knew she wanted to enjoy what time she could with them.

I will be rooting for Arkansas State because they have a program that is building like I hope Sonny will build with us. With the added resource of the Dallas area to offer there is no reason we cannot excel if we can have coaching consistency and a team “family” like they do at Arkansas State.

Make no mistake. I want to be at a higher level than Arkansas State and think we can achieve that. But for this weekend I am going to be their fan and hope we can continue to progress and catch and pass their level of play.

My prayers for the ASU coach and his wife. ASU has very good support for their team. I went up to Jonesboro in
Phil Bennett's last year and saw us get mauled by a good ASU team. The thing I'll always remember is the vendors going through the stands selling turkey legs.....nowhere but Arkansas :lol: ! I'll be rooting for ASU also. Thanks for the info , Mark !
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Rebel10 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:17 pm

Clemson leading ND at the half
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:36 pm

I went to that curb stomping in Jonesboro as well. They won 8 games this season and will be jacked out of their mind for us, kind of like North Texas state. Look out!
ALEX LIFESON

Postby peruna81 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:41 pm

mrydel wrote:
I know most on this site hate the state of Arkansas, and our next FB opponent is Arkansas State, but ASU is playing in the Arizona Bowl tomorrow (their 6th or 7th in a row) and there is a side story about Coach Blake Anderson’s wife that is very touching. She has breast cancer but after thinking she was clean for about a year, it has returned and with a vengeance. She is in pretty rough shape but insisted on making the trip to Tucson to be with the team. Like most coaches wives, the players become like children and she knew she wanted to enjoy what time she could with them.

I will be rooting for Arkansas State because they have a program that is building like I hope Sonny will build with us. With the added resource of the Dallas area to offer there is no reason we cannot excel if we can have coaching consistency and a team “family” like they do at Arkansas State.

Make no mistake. I want to be at a higher level than Arkansas State and think we can achieve that. But for this weekend I am going to be their fan and hope we can continue to progress and catch and pass their level of play.

Indeed, Mark...Indeed.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:05 pm

They lost in OT today.
mrydel

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:30 pm

JasonB wrote:
peruna81 wrote:

If you look at football participation levels, they are dropping significantly across the country, even in Texas. That is the reason for all of the rules changes.

If they don't fix the brain damage issue, football is going to go the way of boxing and be a sport that only the inner city kids participate in.

I have seen figures indicating 500,000 less kids playing organized football since 2008. After coaching high school sports for the past 12 years and being required to submit to all types of training including concussion certification; I have reluctantly concluded that football, wrestling and soccer pose a significant chance of concussions and related issues. High schools in my area recently started professional assessment and testing calibration of all prospective intermediate and high school athletes to determine a brain level demarcation with which to compare after each suspected head injury. This a real positive step to better understand and diagnose the extent of injury/damage. If I were a parent today I would highly discourage participation in football.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 8:50 pm

Bama Up 21-0 with 1:30 left in the first quarter. The game is over
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:10 pm

Did not think both Clemson and Alabama could cover the spreads in those games today but looks like they will do so easily
Charleston Pony

PreviousNext

Return to Football