PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oh poor Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Oh poor Chad Morris

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:00 am

Chad put it in the left lane and hammered down, all the way to another shutout.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Jackets N Pones » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:03 am

Lol Arkansas
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity

Postby BCHIKERS2 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:31 am

What goes round, comes round.
BCHIKERS2
Recruit

Postby footballdad » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:52 pm

I guess Mr. Bryant wasn't all that impressed..........

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... om-clemson
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby tristatecoog » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:37 am

footballdad wrote:I guess Mr. Bryant wasn't all that impressed..........

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/279 ... om-clemson

With only one year left, it seems like Kelly wanted a better chance to win.
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:28 pm

No way he was coming to Arkansas with their OL. He loves Morris and announced on Morris’ birthday giving some hope but the realists knew better.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby No Quarter » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:01 pm

I remain one of those who thinks that CM will be successful at Fayetteville.

Few on this board really remember the long career that Frank Broyles had at UA. There were numbers of GT fans who thought for the longsest time Broyles would go back to Atlanta and the Yellow Jackets. Broyles, a native Atlantan (well, Decatur maybe which is a suburb and older city) had been a hero GT quarterback who is in several college / bowl HOF's.

Broyles was heard to say that many did not realize how good was the Razorback job because it was the only major college program in a state with good HS football, as opposed to situation in Alabama, GA, FL, and Mississippi, etc.

Yes, I know the SEC West is a tough conference. And that recruiting limits make the process less certain than back in the day and that Arkansas State is much better. Also, there is a general greater awareness about top prospects. Most of all, it remains to be seen whether CM will make a mark like FB. OTOH, CMs Texas connections will probably help and Broyles had a number of good Texas recruits.

One similarity between FB and CM is the willingness of each to change jobs for what might be a better opportunity. Broyles was a candidate at several schools including before leaving GT for Missouri. CM might or might not be the same.

Altogether, some of the advantages FB had remain and CM - or whoever becomes the next Arkansas coach with a good W - L record will use them. It may turn out that aTm fans will someday feel the same about CM as the Yellow Jackets West Stand folks did about Broyles.

I'm glad Chad Morris was at SMU although I wish his departure had not been so much like a highly desirable football recruit flipping shortly before NLI day.

Go Ponies.

And go HP and Chandler Morris against Tyler.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby orguy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:19 pm

I think he will turn things around. Often ugly seasons in transition happen. This year really means
nothing. Morris is a hard worker/driven individual. Have no doubt things will turn around for the
Pigs.
orguy
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:45 pm

orguy wrote:I think he will turn things around. Often ugly seasons in transition happen. This year really means
nothing. Morris is a hard worker/driven individual. Have no doubt things will turn around for the
Pigs.

I want him to be miserable this year but wish him success next year
One Trick Pony

Postby peruna81 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:29 pm

Success is relative in Arkansas...the days of Broyles and The Big Shootout ore over.

Chad will make things better than Bielema for the Hogs...but as for "the next Clemson"?

Not so fast...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Arkpony » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:30 am

When Frank Broyles made the decision to bolt the SWC for the SEC, it meant that Arkansas had to give up repeatedly playing for a conference championship and ever for a National championship. A winning season here and there was possible but the success they had in the SWC would never be obtainable in the SEC. But boy, the money and prestige!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Rebel10 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm

As soon as he gets some players I think he will do well.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby ponyboy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:48 pm

His son scored four unanswered td’s in the fourth quarter today to lift HP over John Tyler
ponyboy

Postby Timothythegreat » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:53 am

Rebel10 wrote:As soon as he gets some players I think he will do well.

How is t you have come to think that he doesn’t have good players at Arkansas? According to 247, Arkansas has finished in the top 25-26 nationally in recruiting since 2015 and their worst year in the past 4 years-2014, they were 29th.
They play in the SEC west for Christ sakes, of course they have talent. Come up with whatever reasons you want to for his team sucking, but a dearth of 4 star players isn’t why they got blasted by UNT and couldn’t even start to hang with any other team with a pulse.

Maybe you could make a case that he doesn’t have the “right players for his system. But he didn’t have that at SMU. Matt Davis was prototypical QB for his offense and he still made it effective with lead foot hicks. If Morris can put together an offense that averaged 27 ppg in the American with mostly FCS players and a few true freshmen in the line up, I would imagine he could make something resembling a functioning offense with the caliber of athletes he has there. Talent is not the issue.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:20 am

It is very correct that he does not have the talent to fit his system. But more importantly, the kids from the past coach have quit on the team to a point of rebellion. Like or hate Arkansas it is sad to seem a team divided with some against their school. There is a total house cleaning going on right now. 21 kids have left the program since he came and he will sign 29 new players next year. He will have a top 20 class, maybe even a top 15 but will still be near the bottom of the SEC West. But I do believe he can turn the program in about 2 more years.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Football