PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Oh poor Chad Morris

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Oh poor Chad Morris

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:19 am

Chavis better or worse than Van Malone? :lol: :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby CBpony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 am

Chavis has been a joke for awhile. The Chad Morris jock sniffers on here will probably just say he needs a few years to get his guys in to make his system work.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:00 am

Had he came back and Coached the bowl game (ala Scott Frost ) instead of classless Full Tilt Boogie .. I would have wished him well , as it is I root for every team that he plays. This is what mid-major fans do. Divorced wife syndrome.
Last night was like an unexpected alimony check
One Trick Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:18 am

CBpony wrote:Chavis has been a joke for awhile. The Chad Morris jock sniffers on here will probably just say he needs a few years to get his guys in to make his system work.

Just curious. Have you listened to the SMU supporters when we hired Greg, Cavan, Bennett, Jones, Morris, and any others I may have left out? Did any of them turn it around in year one?

I totally agree with OTP. Divorced wife syndrome, and she left you for a better man. Morris lost my support with the Baylor courting, and the manner in which he departed only worsened it. But that does not mean I do not think he can do well at Arkansas.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:53 am

mrydel wrote:
CBpony wrote:Chavis has been a joke for awhile. The Chad Morris jock sniffers on here will probably just say he needs a few years to get his guys in to make his system work.

Just curious. Have you listened to the SMU supporters when we hired Greg, Cavan, Bennett, Jones, Morris, and any others I may have left out? Did any of them turn it around in year one?

I totally agree with OTP. Divorced wife syndrome, and she left you for a better man. Morris lost my support with the Baylor courting, and the manner in which he departed only worsened it. But that does not mean I do not think he can do well at Arkansas.

How do you, and other Arkansas fans, feel about Chavis? Is he another Van Malone, is it just a matter of time before he revives his old LSU defenses, or has he lost touch and will likely repeat his A&M defenses?
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:00 pm

None of the fans have turned on Chavis yet. This may be the week. There are plenty questioning Morris but those mainly are the ones that when they heard 3 to 5 thought games rather than years.

Chavis has not shown much for quite a while, but this will be the true test of Morris as a head coach in my opinion. He either dumps Chavis, as he has shown so far he will not with the Malone era, or some how “coaches him up” to being better which I don’t know how he does that.

But fwiw, defensive recruits have been a priority, which was not seen at SMU, so they are upgrading on the defensive side.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby CBpony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:54 pm

He may do well or not. I hope he fails due to the way he left in a flash. SMU owes nothing to him. Looks like those extra early weeks he got at Arkansas after leaving us before bowl game are really paying off
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby gohogs14 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 1:33 pm

footballdad wrote:
mrydel wrote:

How do you, and other Arkansas fans, feel about Chavis? Is he another Van Malone, is it just a matter of time before he revives his old LSU defenses, or has he lost touch and will likely repeat his A&M defenses?

The defense was beyond horrible before Chavis ever got there so it’s hard to put it all on him. Two weeks ago he had the defense actually playing pretty well (bad offense and special teams inflated some scores of games) but the last two games it has unraveled, albeit against some high powered offenses. We’ll need to recruit out of it either way.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:05 pm

In Chavis' defense, he wasn't at Arkansas and involved in the recruitment of those guys I saw unable to run with Ole Miss' RBs and WRs.
Charleston Pony

Postby peruna81 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:10 pm

Chavis was less than beloved in College Station when he was with A&M. He was to be the answer to Sumlin's underperforming defenses, and it had a marginal effect. The Aggies were continually gashed for big plays, and gassed by the fourth quarter.

Chavis had some great defenses at LSU, but never found anything close to that at A&M. Morris didn't have a clear cut DC, and certainly wasn't going to take Malone with him. I think CM is hoping that Chavis will catch lightening in a bottle again...hadn't happened quite yet.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby tristatecoog » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:36 pm

In his opening address, Morris called Chavis the best DC in the nation. How much is he making? Million $?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gohogs14 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:59 pm

tristatecoog wrote:In his opening address, Morris called Chavis the best DC in the nation. How much is he making? Million $?

He has a 1-year contract for $1 million, but has an option to renew for 2 more years with a salary increase up to $1.5 million after the season.

Morris mentioned coaching against Chavis in the Peach Bowl when he was at Clemson and Chavis was at LSU as a big reason for hiring him. Of course when you have guys like Patrick Peterson and Tyrann Matheiu a lot of guys will look good running a defense.
gohogs14
Scout Team

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:49 am

As a wise man once said, it's not so much the Xs and Os, but more about the Jimmies and Joes
Charleston Pony

Postby stc9 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:47 pm

Let’s not forget that that LSU ran a ball control offense while Chavis was there. When LSU’s offensive line was pounding the other team into submission his defense was resting on the bench. Sumlin and Morris try to play at a much higher tempo, so his guys spend a lot more time on the field.
Some rise by sin, and some by virtue fall
stc9
Heisman

Postby dr rc » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:53 am

CBpony wrote:He may do well or not. I hope he fails due to the way he left in a flash. SMU owes nothing to him. Looks like those extra early weeks he got at Arkansas after leaving us before bowl game are really paying off

An HC leaving a team before the bowl game for his new gig is standard procedure. I have no idea why so many here seem to think that was some great offense by Chad. If you want to be pissed at somebody for jetting before the bowl it should be Jeff Traylor who should have never accepted the interim job if he knew he'd leave the moment Chad hired him at Pig. That was not normal. Usually the interim staff hangs around for the bowl even if they have already secured another job. An example would be former Texas A&M DC Tim DeRuyter who was interim coach for the Texas Bowl after Mike Sherman was fired even though he had just been hired as HC for Fresno State two weeks earlier.
dr rc
Varsity

PreviousNext

Return to Football