PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

William Brown or Ben Hicks

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: William Brown or Ben Hicks

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:51 pm

"Get a Brain Morans"
Last edited by Stallion on Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby digman52 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:24 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:split time by alternating every series or two until one of them shows he can consistently move the offense and put points on the board. I would like to think both can against HBU

The QB shuffle worked for the Cowboys in the Craig Morton / Roger Staubach days.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:09 pm

No. 1(Alabama) and No. 3 (Clemson) teams in the Country are rotating QBs. No. 2 Georgia might be in the near future
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby Nacho » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:26 pm

whoever throws the first pick 6 is out
Nacho

Postby No Quarter » Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:03 am

My wish - on - a - star best case scenario, admittedly très unlikely, is for Hicks to come on like gangbusters and for Brown to play in four games only and not burn his redshirt. And whoever starts next year that both stay in school so that Terrance Gibson (who may still be rehabbing) can redshirt.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:48 am

I think there is very little chance that Hicks returns for his Senior season

Stallion

Postby 3rdGenPony » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:25 am

Am I remembering correctly that Brown has already played in 3 games? If so, he could only play in 1 more this season and still red shirt.
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby 3rdGenPony » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:31 am

Stallion wrote:I think there is very little chance that Hicks returns for his Senior season

Just curious, where do you think he goes? I certainly do not see him going to play for a power 5 (sorry AAC) team next year. Do you think he would rather go play at an Eastern Washington instead of competing his final year for playing time at SMU?
3rdGenPony
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:42 am

he'll have many FBS options to chose from as a graduate transfer

Stallion

Postby indianmustang » Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:02 pm

common hicks lets get to 10000 yards at SMU,you are 3000 short :D
Mustang from India
indianmustang

Postby footballdad » Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:38 pm

Stallion wrote:I think there is very little chance that Hicks returns for his Senior season

.......writing is on the wall.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Treadway21 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:23 pm

Interesting article from swcroundup.com

I'll leave it to others to judge and the analytics behind the rankings but Brown does well with small sample size.

From Twitter:
@swcroundup
QB grades through week five. The surprising Will Brown of @SMU_Football, what Cordale Grundy and Shawn Robinson do at an elite level for @UTSAFTBL and @TCUFootball. [url]buff.ly/2xSGjBZ[/url]
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby ojaipony » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:31 pm

As a true freshman, he's played phenomenal. And he's got all the physical talents in the world. The major thing he has to work on is finishing. He's lucky he's got Ben Hicks who can come in and give him a breather but he has to learn (he will) how to play a full game at a high level all the way through. I'm very high on him and definitely think he gives us a dimension we haven't had in a while. He'll get so much better in the off season also (probably could add another 10 pounds or so easy to withstand the wear and tear of a full season).
ojaipony

Postby Timothythegreat » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:31 am

ojaipony wrote:As a true freshman, he's played phenomenal. And he's got all the physical talents in the world. The major thing he has to work on is finishing. He's lucky he's got Ben Hicks who can come in and give him a breather but he has to learn (he will) how to play a full game at a high level all the way through. I'm very high on him and definitely think he gives us a dimension we haven't had in a while. He'll get so much better in the off season also (probably could add another 10 pounds or so easy to withstand the wear and tear of a full season).

Let’s scale back the hyperbole a little bit. William Brown has played well, but he is still extremely rough around the edges. The only ability he has shown to throw the ball down the field was just heaving it up, throwing the ball short by about 5 yards of his intended target and being lucky that his receiver was more athletic than the defensive back who did not even look for the ball. Any decent DB picks off three of his four or five long passes against Houston Baptist. That, along with the fact that he has shown A limited ability to read a defense. I will Agree with you that he will be great one day, but I have seen nothing yet to warrant saying he has played phenomenal as of yet. I would call phenomenal for a freshman something more like Kyle Padron coming off the bench to lead his foundering team to the hawaii bowl where he set The then school record for passing yards in a game.

I’m not trying to knock on Brown, but I find it worrisome for the future depth chart if he has overtaken upshaw. William definitely needed a redshirt year.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:59 am

I disagree with the assessment of the long throws. The receiver who had the least ability to out jump a defender, he threw a perfect pass to. For the others, he did what Hicks never did - take advantage of an athletic receiver who can go get the ball. How many times did Hicks put balls for Sutton out of bounds or just out of reach?
JasonB

PreviousNext

Return to Football