PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official: SMU vs HBU Predictions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Official: SMU vs HBU Predictions

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:03 am

Could be a little tricky, picking the score this week. Probably a lot of starters held out, and lots of rookies getting playing time.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Official: SMU vs HBU Predictions

Postby BUS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:08 am

Mr. Brown plays QB and he learns.
SMU gets a win.

Fun times on Boulevard.

Then off to LHHS 40th reunion!
Last edited by BUS on Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby peruna81 » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:14 am

63-14, good guys.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:20 am

I think we will see alternating QB possessions. Starting this game until the rest of the season.

Brown hasn't been through the college weight program yet. He has a tall build, but isn't as thick as he will be. He can't quite withstand a constant pounding. The simple offense is fine, as long as you are a threat to run, and he can't sustain running for an entire game. He can't read plays well enough to simply be a drop back passer.

HBU is not a good football team. But I think you will see an emphasis on power running, which is what we want to do once all the pieces are in place. Running the ball up the middle on Navy in short yardage had inconsistent results, but that is who we want to be in this program. That will eat up time and keep our scoring output lower.

Defensively, there are a ton of guys banged up after Navy. That said, this is a must win. If you "pencil in" UCF as a loss, then you have a bye before Tulane and a chance to get a lot of players healthy. I would expect defensively some of the banged up guys to start to ensure a win, but they get pulled at half. Second half will be Hailey - Williams - Robinson at LB with two frosh rotating in. Might not see Moore or Nelson at all for this game. So, I think we give up some points and we kick field goals to make the game closer than it probably should be. SMU 37-20
JasonB

Postby SmooBoy » Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:52 am

56-17 smoo

QBs will alternate series. Need to work on the passing game. and stay away from injuries.
SmooBoy

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:41 am

Hicks starts and plays 2 series and 2 TDs, then Brown. Hope we get X and Kemon back from injury. 49 - 14.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:47 am

Did JasonB really just claim that Houston Baptist Seminary exhibition game is a "must win" :shock:

Yeah this is a real "Do or Die" game.

Look its bad enough we have to schedule this joke program but there is no excuse not to beat them by 50. I'm thinking about giving this game about 2 hours of my time and then get the hell out of Dodge and enjoy my weekend.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby JasonB » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 pm

Stallion wrote:Did JasonB really just claim that Houston Baptist Seminary exhibition game is a "must win" :shock:

Look its bad enough we have to schedule this joke program but there is no excuse not to beat them by 50. I'm thinking about giving this game about 2 hours of my time and then get the hell out of Dodge and enjoy my weekend.

I've seen enough should-be-laughers turn into closer games over the past 30 years that I never count the chickens before they hatch anymore.

HBU is a horrible team, no question about it. But I haven't seen enough on offense to indicate that we can dominate anybody on that side of the ball. And there are just a ton of injuries on defense. I don't think we are at risk of losing, but I would be surprised (but encouraged) to see a 50 point win.
JasonB

Postby ojaipony » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:06 pm

42-17.

Play Temerik Williams. Get Judah Bell some balls/build his confidence. Tyler Page also. Play all the QBs (heck even Upshaw and maybe even give Green a series), but start Brown and give him a half to work on some stuff. Play Ben in the 3rd quarter. Then Upshaw the rest of the way, game situation depending. Need to give some younger guys on defense some experience - P Jones, Wiley, Ndukwe, etc.
ojaipony

Postby skyscraper » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:27 pm

SMU 44
HBU 19
skyscraper

Postby Stallion » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:11 pm

Sagarin has them ranked 246 out of 255 IA and 1-AA schools. This is the worst team to ever play at SMU

https://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:29 pm

So you're saying there's a chance
One Trick Pony

Postby dr rc » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:12 pm

JasonB wrote:
Stallion wrote:Did JasonB really just claim that Houston Baptist Seminary exhibition game is a "must win" :shock:

I've seen enough should-be-laughers turn into closer games over the past 30 years that I never count the chickens before they hatch anymore.

HBU is a horrible team, no question about it. But I haven't seen enough on offense to indicate that we can dominate anybody on that side of the ball. And there are just a ton of injuries on defense. I don't think we are at risk of losing, but I would be surprised (but encouraged) to see a 50 point win.

If SMU loses Sonny should be fired on the spot.

It's a program that has only fielded a team for 6 seasons and has never won more than 4 games in a year for an all time record of 13-41.

Of those 13 wins 4 were against NAIA schools, 2 were against a school transitioning from DII, 1 was against a DII school, 1 was against a D3 school, and 1 was against a fake university that only played a single season.

DII (transitioning to FCS) - Abilene Christian
DII - Southwest Baptist
D3 - Bethany College
NAIA - Wayland Baptist, Oklahoma Baptist, Texas College twice
Fake school - College of Faith AR) - https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/5h0a23/catchingup_with_the_fake_schools_that_played/

Their most impressive win is a 2016 victory over a 5-6 Stephen F. Austin team.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:31 pm

dr rc wrote:If SMU loses Sonny should be fired on the spot

it's impossible we lose this game,
but if we did lose to these clowns we don't belong in Division I-A Sports...period!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMUer » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm

If the backup QB doesn't come in, we O.K.
SMUer

Next

Return to Football