PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:08 pm

Mustangsabu wrote: And we wonder why SMU has a negligible global academic reputation...

Global academic reputation :roll:
Bergermeister
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:17 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:I find the points made to be interesting. And honest.

When I think about it, however, I am dismayed that people choose to give more money to athletics than to the academic side. Shows a total apathy for the actual purpose of the university. Athletics should be an extension of the college experience not the focus. Students are there to be taught and to learn. And we wonder why SMU has a negligible global academic reputation...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Appreciate the honest critique, but for what it's worth, donations are based on what is perceived value. For alot of us, people want to contribute to sports to better help their university's image. I forgot but didn't attendance/applications sky rocket for both Baylor and TCU when their football programs got into gear? If so, you are driving more students, more money, more interest into the school that can indirectly help academics. Sadly it doesn't go the other way. I agree that the overall objective of universities are to teach students. No disagreement there. I just think that sports can help drive academic funding indirectly both in the current and future as the school builds a bigger fan base.

Lastly, I think SMU will always have a good distribution of funding as people do donate to endowment and non-sport related areas. It's just that on PonyFans.com, it's going to feel that all the money is pointed to sports because it's a sports website. 8)
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:56 pm

SMU's academic reputation is miles above it's athletic reputation. Perhaps we should aim for excellence in both, not a zero sum game.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PonyPlayer4 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:20 am

Mustangsabu wrote:We are really going to spend millions of $$ so that a minuscule subset of our students, students who but for the football program wouldn't be at the school anyway, can train in cooler temperatures.

Pretty disgusting comment here on the quality of student athletes you believe are recruited to SMU. Most are very high quality, intelligent, and leaders. It is also a naive comment based off how the university has sold the utilization of the IPC.

I also find it interesting you choose to complain about how other people spend their money. As mentioned before in this thread, there are plenty of other universities that have utilized athletics to raise their academic profile.
PonyPlayer4
Hall of Famer

Postby mavsrage311 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:32 am

Getting this thread back on topic - the IPF is actually going to be useful. It's not just for recruiting. Using TCU's as an example - they practice half inside and half outside twice a week and solely inside once a week. I've heard GP give examples of its benefit and how the team concentrates better inside. We also all mention the heat, but I'm sure it was also hard to practice outside in September when we were getting 11 inches of rain. SMU also has plans for its use outside of just football. I find it hard to believe after years of wanting one that anyone on here is anything but excited for it, but nothing surprises me on here anymore.
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 am

PonyPlayer4 wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:We are really going to spend millions of $$ so that a minuscule subset of our students, students who but for the football program wouldn't be at the school anyway, can train in cooler temperatures.

Pretty disgusting comment here on the quality of student athletes you believe are recruited to SMU. Most are very high quality, intelligent, and leaders. It is also a naive comment based off how the university has sold the utilization of the IPC.

I also find it interesting you choose to complain about how other people spend their money. As mentioned before in this thread, there are plenty of other universities that have utilized athletics to raise their academic profile.

My comment about them not being at SMU if it weren’t for athletics was not meant in terms of academic ability but reality. They are here primarily to play sports. I struggle with spending disproportionate amounts on non academics. I know athletics can be used to sell a school. I find that troubling too.

I’m not complaining about how other people spend their money. They are free to do what they want. I can opine that the university should raise money to improve its academic mission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AfricanMustang » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:22 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:
Honestly, until we see improvement from the schools outside of engineering, law and business, I don't see any one should bother donating there. Just my opinion. I rather donate to the sports programs because that's my main and pretty much only reason for coming back to campus. Outside of sports, I would only donate to Celebration of Lights. I wish the whole boulevard could be annually lit up and not just right outside Dallas hall.

Don't leave out the Guildhall, Meadows. And Simmons (which serves as an anchor to the Athletics Dept). That leaves the Dedman College (the academic heart of the university), and Perkins (We are Southern Methodist University afterall...)
“Everything that irritates us about others can lead us to an understanding of ourselves.”
― C.G. Jung
AfricanMustang
Varsity

Postby RGV Pony » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:44 am

Have yall heard of PonyPower? It started in 17-18; its goal was to increase the annual "current use" $ raised across schools, departments etc. Prior to 17-18 that amount was around 45mm. The goal for 17-18 was to raise 45mm. Actual raised was 57.6mm. Goal for this year is 50mm. About half the amount raised went straight to scholarships & research.

Here's some more info.

https://giving.smu.edu/pony-power/
RGV Pony

Postby horsemanx » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:58 am

RGV Pony wrote:Have yall heard of PonyPower? It started in 17-18; its goal was to increase the annual "current use" $ raised across schools, departments etc. Prior to 17-18 that amount was around 45mm. The goal for 17-18 was to raise 45mm. Actual raised was 57.6mm. Goal for this year is 50mm. About half the amount raised went straight to scholarships & research.

Here's some more info.

https://giving.smu.edu/pony-power/

Thanks.

We should have the Pony Power fundraising logo on our football field so more people know about it.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby Mexmustang » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:26 am

This IPF puts SMU even with the larger high school programs in North Texas. One high school has just spent $75,000,000 on there new high school stadium. If I remember correctly Ford's budget was originally announced at $26,000,000. As someone said, this facility puts us number 31 amongst IPF's in North Dallas. Don't bother to check these numbers, as I didn't, I just repeated some numbers thrown around while having a beer while watching UCF. The point being, this facility puts us even with major high school programs, but SMU is again a dollar short and a decade late.

As far as measuring the performance of the Athletic Department by mentioning the Director's Cup rankings, after ranking the dismal performance of football and basketball what else is left to measure but the combined performance of all sports, including those referred to as Olympic sports? We haven't won a football championship in any of our alphabet conferences in 30 years! And we won't see another in basketball for another five to ten years.
Mexmustang
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:06 am

For all the directors cup talk here are our current sports for fall '18 so far.

W XC 1st 1st 3rd
W Soc 8-5-1
M Soc 5-4-2
Volleyball 6-9
Football 2-4
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby PerunasHoof » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:42 am

mtrout wrote:For all the directors cup talk here are our current sports for fall '18 so far.

W XC 1st 1st 3rd
W Soc 8-5-1
M Soc 5-4-2
Volleyball 6-9
Football 2-4

You left off Golf

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/golf-men/d1/gcaa-coaches

Ranked 21. Since this ranking SMU also took 1st out of 14 teams in a tournament this weekend.

Also- Equestrian. Ranked 4th

http://www.collegiateequestrian.com/
PerunasHoof
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:21 pm

Mexmustang wrote:As far as measuring the performance of the Athletic Department by mentioning the Director's Cup rankings, after ranking the dismal performance of football and basketball what else is left to measure but the combined performance of all sports, including those referred to as Olympic sports? We haven't won a football championship in any of our alphabet conferences in 30 years! And we won't see another in basketball for another five to ten years.

That has to be the most negatively slanted post I've ever read on this board. You might dial the scotch back a tick or two in the evenings. Just a friendly suggestion
ponyboy

Postby mrydel » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:04 pm

The Pye era had to rely on the Directors Cup because they gutted the revenue sports. That is the Mex legacy to which he clings.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyKai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:04 am

Mexmustang wrote:This IPF puts SMU even with the larger high school programs in North Texas. One high school has just spent $75,000,000 on there new high school stadium. If I remember correctly Ford's budget was originally announced at $26,000,000. As someone said, this facility puts us number 31 amongst IPF's in North Dallas. Don't bother to check these numbers, as I didn't, I just repeated some numbers thrown around while having a beer while watching UCF. The point being, this facility puts us even with major high school programs, but SMU is again a dollar short and a decade late.

As far as measuring the performance of the Athletic Department by mentioning the Director's Cup rankings, after ranking the dismal performance of football and basketball what else is left to measure but the combined performance of all sports, including those referred to as Olympic sports? We haven't won a football championship in any of our alphabet conferences in 30 years! And we won't see another in basketball for another five to ten years.

Why do you always seem to drag this garbage over here after your half-baked arguments get systematically dismantled on the pay boards? Hoping it won't happen here, too?
PonyKai

PreviousNext

Return to Football