PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am

PonyKai wrote:
Mexmustang wrote:This IPF puts SMU even with the larger high school programs in North Texas. One high school has just spent $75,000,000 on there new high school stadium. If I remember correctly Ford's budget was originally announced at $26,000,000. As someone said, this facility puts us number 31 amongst IPF's in North Dallas. Don't bother to check these numbers, as I didn't, I just repeated some numbers thrown around while having a beer while watching UCF. The point being, this facility puts us even with major high school programs, but SMU is again a dollar short and a decade late.

As far as measuring the performance of the Athletic Department by mentioning the Director's Cup rankings, after ranking the dismal performance of football and basketball what else is left to measure but the combined performance of all sports, including those referred to as Olympic sports? We haven't won a football championship in any of our alphabet conferences in 30 years! And we won't see another in basketball for another five to ten years.

Why do you always seem to drag this garbage over here after your half-baked arguments get systematically dismantled on the pay boards? Hoping it won't happen here, too?

makes him feel better b/c no one can down vote his hot garbage takes on this board.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:23 am

Mexmustang wrote:This IPF puts SMU even with the larger high school programs in North Texas. One high school has just spent $75,000,000 on there [SIC] new high school stadium. If I remember correctly Ford's budget was originally announced at $26,000,000. As someone said, this facility puts us number 31 amongst IPF's in North Dallas. Don't bother to check these numbers, as I didn't, I just repeated some numbers thrown around while having a beer while watching UCF. The point being, this facility puts us even with major high school programs, but SMU is again a dollar short and a decade late.

a) Ford was built 18 years ago and construction costs have increased significantly. however your numbers are off once again. you don't remember even remotely correctly. Ford Stadium cost $42mm to build (~$75mm in today's dollars, but like i said, would actually cost more based on increased cost of concrete, steel, labor, etc). that also doesn't include the suite expansion and total overhaul of Lloyd in 2012. nor the numerous improvements over the years like several million on new field. if i had to guess, if we tore the stadium completely to the ground and rebuilt it exactly how it stands now it would cost in the $150mm range.

b) no "One high school" has spent $75mm on a new HS stadium. McKinney ISD did it in conjunction w/ the city of McKinney via a bond (which is voted on by the citizens and paid by them via taxes - more on this below). multiple schools use the stadium. the city of mckinney also uses the stadium for other events. it was overbuilt based on future growth of the city as well to accommodate expansion.

c) the new indoor performance center is not even close to being on par with the majority of HS ISD indoor facilities that are glorified tents. most are owned by school districts, not individual HS's so they are used by more than one school/team.

d) your ignorance or unwillingness to understand HOW these things are funded is the most frustrating thing. A school district’s property tax rate has two elements: one that covers day-to-day operations such as teacher salaries, and another that covers debt service. The two needs are funded separately, and state law prohibits intermingling the funds. Property-rich districts are required to send some of their operations tax revenue to the state -- to be redistributed among property-poor districts -- BUT (this is the KEY thing) they keep all of the money raised through the debt service tax rate. That funding model, combined with dramatically rising property values throughout the state, has emboldened school districts to fund projects that they wouldn’t otherwise.

e) why do you continue to make yourself look like an idiot all the time?
Last edited by Dutch on Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonyKai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:41 am

Brutal.
PonyKai
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:08 pm

I hope what everyone besides Mex (he's hopeless) gets out of my post above is factual information that when you're sitting around with your friends drinking a few 'skis watching football, and the subject comes up about why SMU is just now getting an indoor facility (on some of the highest priced real estate in the entire state) when all these HS teams have had them for years, you'll be able to reply that they have IPF's and massive stadiums via the people voting to increase their tax rate to improve their schools versus SMU who funds projects through private contributions so comparing the two is grossly unfair.

then while on the subject, ask them for a donation to the football excellence fund.
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:45 pm

...and that argument should be expanded to state funded universities like UH, UT, A&M, Tech and even NTSU-although many of their facilities have been privately funded. The current funding model of SMU athletics model is also not remotely similar to private P5s such as TCU, Vandy, Duke or Northwestern either. The most similar funding models are Tulane and Tulsa
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby PonyKai » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:50 pm

Dutch wrote:I hope what everyone besides Mex (he's hopeless) gets out of my post above is factual information that when you're sitting around with your friends drinking a few 'skis watching football, and the subject comes up about why SMU is just now getting an indoor facility (on some of the highest priced real estate in the entire state) when all these HS teams have had them for years, you'll be able to reply that they have IPF's and massive stadiums via the people voting to increase their tax rate to improve their schools versus SMU who funds projects through private contributions so comparing the two is grossly unfair.

then while on the subject, ask them for a donation to the football excellence fund.

Also, ya know, the fact that this could have gotten done several years ago but the proposed location was nixed by the then head football coach.
PonyKai

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:05 pm

Stallion wrote:...and that argument should be expanded to state funded universities like UH, UT, A&M, Tech and even NTSU-although many of their facilities have been privately funded. The current funding model of SMU athletics model is also not remotely similar to private P5s such as TCU, Vandy, Duke or Northwestern either. The most similar funding models are Tulane and Tulsa
And Texas State which between that and outrageous student activity fees is still upside down on its stadium expansion
RGV Pony

Postby Dutch » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Stallion wrote:...and that argument should be expanded to state funded universities like UH, UT, A&M, Tech and even NTSU-although many of their facilities have been privately funded. The current funding model of SMU athletics model is also not remotely similar to private P5s such as TCU, Vandy, Duke or Northwestern either. The most similar funding models are Tulane and Tulsa
. Yes. I considered expanding to include, but he was just talking High Schools so I tried to focus on that without bringing Land Grant schools that operate differently into the conversation.

Also under current market/conference conditions with distribution of TV revenue being tilted heavily towards the P5 schools you're right. We have to allocate private donations to operations versus solely directing them to capital improvements - Tulsa and Tulane are great examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:55 pm

Maybe we could petition the NCAA to award Director Cup points for each privately funded dollar spent on campus athletic venues.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby One Trick Pony » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:08 pm

When will they get the other half of the indoor practice field??
One Trick Pony

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:57 pm

mrydel wrote:Maybe we could petition the NCAA to award Director Cup points for each privately funded dollar spent on campus athletic venues.

LOL, pretty sure Northwestern would win that one. $380 million spent on the new IPF and basketball reno opening this year.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby econpony'10 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:18 pm

Just pointing this out, but the IPF would really be helpful this week and last week for the guys.
econpony'10
Recruit

Postby mavsrage311 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 pm

econpony'10 wrote:Just pointing this out, but the IPF would really be helpful this week and last week for the guys.

SMU is practicing at the Star in Frisco today and cancelled a practice or two last week but who needs an IPF right?
Dallas Mavericks - 2011 NBA CHAMPIONS!

Long live the Circle of Champions!
mavsrage311
Heisman

Postby tristatecoog » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:03 pm

RGV Pony wrote:
And Texas State which between that and outrageous student activity fees is still upside down on its stadium expansion

Speaking of TX State, they have a nice looking stadium but absolutely no one was at their ESPNU televised game last Thursday night vs. GA Southern. The camera angles were so obvious to be insulting. Couldn't they get coupon grab bags, a band to play at halftime, free semester of tuition to randomly drawn student, anything to get a few fans out to the game?
tristatecoog
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:35 pm

The school shut down their entire greek system. Will be interesting to see how that goes at a school that only had one thing going for it - namely their greek system.
gostangs

PreviousNext

Return to Football