PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Impact of the Indoor Practice Facility

Postby PonySnob » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:56 pm

gostangs wrote:The school shut down their entire greek system. Will be interesting to see how that goes at a school that only had one thing going for it - namely their greek system.

Wasn’t it reinstated in the spring semester. Dr Ashley would love to shut it down at SMU.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby gostangs » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:14 am

PonySnob wrote:
gostangs wrote:The school shut down their entire greek system. Will be interesting to see how that goes at a school that only had one thing going for it - namely their greek system.

Wasn’t it reinstated in the spring semester. Dr Ashley would love to shut it down at SMU.
PonySnob wrote:

I hadn't heard it was reinstated. That would make sense if it was.
gostangs

Postby dr rc » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:03 pm

tristatecoog wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:
Stallion wrote:...and that argument should be expanded to state funded universities like UH, UT, A&M, Tech and even NTSU-although many of their facilities have been privately funded. The current funding model of SMU athletics model is also not remotely similar to private P5s such as TCU, Vandy, Duke or Northwestern either. The most similar funding models are Tulane and Tulsa
And Texas State which between that and outrageous student activity fees is still upside down on its stadium expansion

Speaking of TX State, they have a nice looking stadium but absolutely no one was at their ESPNU televised game last Thursday night vs. GA Southern. The camera angles were so obvious to be insulting. Couldn't they get coupon grab bags, a band to play at halftime, free semester of tuition to randomly drawn student, anything to get a few fans out to the game?

Why would anyone expect Texas State to have anyone at the stadium when they are god awful? Somehow they are even worse than when Fran was busy running them into a ditch. Thursday game are already hard to fill out as it is but when you add years of terrible play and an opponent that hardly anyone at the school would care about it's going to equate to poor attendance.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby HubbaHubba » Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:36 am

I'm not close to campus. Any updates on the IPF?
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby digman52 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:38 am

The walls are up, and they are installing the brick and cast stone on the exterior.

I don't have a timeline on the finish date, but should go fairly quickly with less interior finish out than a regular building.
digman52
Junior Varsity

Postby Water Pony » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:51 am

This discussion is humorous. The IPF is a remarkable investment on holy ground, the former site of the Perkins Natatorium. This is tangible evidence of continuing efforts to address perceived 'shortcomings' with our commitment to FB and, for that matter, BB with the lavish renovations and update to Moody and the Crum Center.

Without the membership and revenue from P5 affiliation, I feel the school and its donors have done a good job keeping us relevant, including gaining membership to The American Athletic Conference. I wish we would be courted for promotion to the the Power Conferences, but we still need to be a power within the AAC.

Our BB program, as was FB 30 years ago, was overly penalized for legitimate infractions, which were common among our peers. We seem to catch the heaviest treatment, when more appropriate penalties should have been applied.

I wish we would avoid the name calling so persistent on Pony Fans and channel our energy on attendance and support for our revenue teams. They deserve it, even if some on this board don't think so.

My two cents. Pony Up!
Pony Up
Water Pony

Postby redpony » Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:34 am

Water Pony wrote: This is tangible evidence of continuing efforts to address perceived 'shortcomings' with our commitment to FB and, for that matter, BB with the lavish renovations and update to Moody and Crum Center.

Now if we could just have some 'lavish renovatons' regarding our bball coach we could progress upward instead of having to watch the 'pony bball version' of the titanic as it sinks into oblivion the next couple of years.
redpony

Postby mtrout » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:50 pm

The indoor wedding facility should be done by mid summer
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby smitty329 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:49 am

Water Pony wrote:This discussion is humorous. The IPF is a remarkable investment on holy ground, the former site of the Perkins Natatorium. This is tangible evidence of continuing efforts to address perceived 'shortcomings' with our commitment to FB and, for that matter, BB with the lavish renovations and update to Moody and the Crum Center.

Without the membership and revenue from P5 affiliation, I feel the school and its donors have done a good job keeping us relevant, including gaining membership to The American Athletic Conference. I wish we would be courted for promotion to the the Power Conferences, but we still need to be a power within the AAC.

Our BB program, as was FB 30 years ago, was overly penalized for legitimate infractions, which were common among our peers. We seem to catch the heaviest treatment, when more appropriate penalties should have been applied.

I wish we would avoid the name calling so persistent on Pony Fans and channel our energy on attendance and support for our revenue teams. They deserve it, even if some on this board don't think so.

My two cents. Pony Up!

I agree - it's hard to come to a "Pony Fans" site and witness all the negativity. The brash egos and arrogance from those that demean players, staff, and administration to the point they would suggest a boycott. It is repulsive, reinforces the perception of elitism regarding SMU, and only drives away real and potential fans that are so coveted and unfortunately, often criticized.
smitty329
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:53 am

One Trick Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:51 am

digman52 wrote:The walls are up, and they are installing the brick and cast stone on the exterior.

I don't have a timeline on the finish date, but should go fairly quickly with less interior finish out than a regular building.

Thanks for the update. So, ready for fall practice then it sounds like.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby HarvCrimYaleBlue » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:49 pm

HarvCrimYaleBlue
Heisman

Previous

Return to Football