PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official game thread SMU versus HBU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official game thread SMU versus HBU

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:08 pm

Lost Robinson for the first half next week with a weak targeting call.

Looks like Reggie is hurt again

Brown may have a bad wheel

This cheap win may prove to be more costly than we expected
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:10 pm

PonySnob wrote:
Stallion wrote:Offensive Line ought to be embarrassed with performance-worst unit on the field

Kick coverage unit isn’t too good either

I am hoping with the new redshirt rule we used a lot of newbies on kick coverage to let them see some action. If not, that is a regression from an already weak group
mrydel

Postby horsemanx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:45 am

Glorified practice session.

Embarrassing to waste 4 hours of the lives of SMU fans for this kind of thing. All of the passing and snapping with 20+ seconds on the play clock in the second half was just ridiculous.

Also embarrassing and sad to run trick plays in a game like this - and why wouldn't we save them for when we need them?

But hey, we are 2-3! Pony Up.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby JasonB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:49 am

I think they were just trying a few things out against a bad team. Nothing wrong with that. And it will make teams back out of the pure block looks.

I looked at the halftime stats. Sackville was 2-2 for 27 yards and a TD. Hicks was 4-7 for 23 yards, no TDs. Pretty telling.

Hicks had a play when he was in where Proche was running wide open across the field. Just didn't see him and eventually made a mess of throwing the ball away after allowing the OL to collapse. Inexcusable miss for a third year player.

There was more inventiveness in the playcalling than we have seen from the Cowboys in 3 years.

With certain performances on the OL and DL in this game, I think we will see changes in personnel rotation during the bye week after the UCF game.

I thought it was good that we were kicking off short to give our KO team practice. Certainly showed a lot of holes that the coaching staff has on tape. I was hoping that they played a lot of new guys, but I looked at the field on the TD and they weren't. They just got out of position. Hopefully, this gives them an opportunity to clean it up because, yeah.

Never thought I would say this, but losing J Williams for targeting for the first half of the UCF game might be an issue.

We played a very generic 4-3 for the entire game. That left a lot of holes across the middle of the field. Williams and Moore were responsible for a lot of it. They were biting on the play fake and not getting deep enough.

We gave up a lot of yards to a really bad team, and should have been more without the drops. This is not a good sign for how we will do against pass-first offenses the rest of the season. It will be interesting to see if we are forced to stay in a 4-3 because we don't trust the defensive line, or if we go back to the 3-3-5 we played against TCU with an extra safety on the field that gives it almost a 3-4 look. I get the impression that Nelson and Denbow are really important players to be able to play that 3-3-5 effectively, so their health may drive a decision. Part of me thinks we shouldn't take a lot out of the defensive performance, because they played so generic - there were times, for example, when HBU went 4 wide and we had Denbow split way outside taking the middle receiver in a 3 man set. I don't think you will see that against UCF. And we were so short at safety and CB that we couldn't really go with extra backs out there. So, I think we will scheme a lot differently on defense against a pass-first team. But, the other half of me is scared to death for when we play wide open spread offenses the rest of the season, because Michigan, Navy, and TCU are all much more conservative than what we are going to run into for the rest of conference play.
JasonB

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:26 am

JasonB wrote:I thought it was good that we were kicking off short to give our KO team practice.

We also got some good practice covering kickoffs out of bounds
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:43 am

Any word on what the injury status is regarding Brown.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:15 pm

horsemanx wrote:Glorified practice session.

Embarrassing to waste 4 hours of the lives of SMU fans for this kind of thing. All of the passing and snapping with 20+ seconds on the play clock in the second half was just ridiculous.

Also embarrassing and sad to run trick plays in a game like this - and why wouldn't we save them for when we need them?

Yeah that was very Grant Teaff-ish.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:29 pm

Stallion wrote:
horsemanx wrote:Glorified practice session.

Yeah that was very Grant Teaff-ish.

Great comparison!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:31 pm

One Trick Pony

Postby MV pony » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:39 pm

Rebel10 wrote:Any word on what the injury status is regarding Brown.

Sonny said he's ok and good to go next week. Just no reason to keep him in the game.
MV pony
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sun Sep 30, 2018 12:59 pm

Kind of agree on the trick plays but you do accomplish two things. First now the other teams have to account for them and that will slow down future rushes, and second maybe Sonny googled “trick kick plays” and has others that can be used after the opposition has schemed for these.
mrydel

Postby MV pony » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:42 pm

Sonny Dykes aka The Joker. Love it.
MV pony
All-American

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:35 pm

As a fan who enjoys football but isn't that knowledgeable about the all the intricacies of the game, I'd like to thank JasonB for his informative posts. I always learn something.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Rebel10 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:15 pm

MV pony wrote:

Sonny said he's ok and good to go next week. Just no reason to keep him in the game.

Definitely no reason to keep him in the game after he got hurt. They never should have ran him in the first place. I hope they learned their lesson in their play calling.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:47 pm

Rebel10 wrote:
MV pony wrote:

Definitely no reason to keep him in the game after he got hurt. They never should have ran him in the first place. I hope they learned their lesson in their play calling.

Especially when he appeared to be a bit dinged on the previous play!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football