PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official game thread SMU versus HBU

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official game thread SMU versus HBU

Postby JasonB » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:26 am

Rebel10 wrote:
MV pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:Any word on what the injury status is regarding Brown.

Sonny said he's ok and good to go next week. Just no reason to keep him in the game.

Definitely no reason to keep him in the game after he got hurt. They never should have ran him in the first place. I hope they learned their lesson in their play calling.

I think you are right, and I also think you were right about Brown and the zone read. It is obvious to me at least that he really doesn't like to run the ball. He isn't a physical QB like that. He will run it if he has to, but he would really rather not.

Upshaw, on the other hand, is definitely a running QB.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Rebel10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:56 am

It’s not whether he wants to or not. And I do think he is physical so I am not trying to make a backhanded comment about the young man’s physicality. Just think some may have unfairly type cast him into a running QB. I don’t think he is opposed it at all but it is clear that he is best when he is spreading the ball around. And Upshaw looked kplike he had a pretty good arm on him as well so I am not ready to throw him in the “running QB” that doesn’t throw that well bucket as well, not that he can’t run.
Last edited by Rebel10 on Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
#HammerDown
Rebel10

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:54 pm

based on high school performance William Brown didn't scramble much at all while Upshaw put up some of the best running statistics for a QB in Texas
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 pm

Rebel10 wrote:It’s not whether he wants to or not. And I do think he is physical so I am not trying to make a backhanded comment about the young man’s physicality. Just think some may have unfairly type cast him into a running QB. I don’t think he is opposed it at all but it is clear that he is best when he is spreading the ball around. And Upshaw looked kplike he had a pretty good arm on him as well so I am not ready to throw him in the “running QB” bucket as well, not that he can’t run.
people think Brown is a running QB because he is black. Let’s call it what it is.

Truth is he is fairly athletic, but that’s not his style. His athleticism is better suited to the scramble drill than designed runs.
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:55 am

Whitwiki Pony wrote:
Rebel10 wrote:It’s not whether he wants to or not. And I do think he is physical so I am not trying to make a backhanded comment about the young man’s physicality. Just think some may have unfairly type cast him into a running QB. I don’t think he is opposed it at all but it is clear that he is best when he is spreading the ball around. And Upshaw looked kplike he had a pretty good arm on him as well so I am not ready to throw him in the “running QB” bucket as well, not that he can’t run.
people think Brown is a running QB because he is black. Let’s call it what it is.

Truth is he is fairly athletic, but that’s not his style. His athleticism is better suited to the scramble drill than designed runs.

I don't hear color
One Trick Pony

Postby Whitwiki Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:08 am

One Trick Pony wrote:
Whitwiki Pony wrote:

I don't hear color

Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?
Whitwiki Pony
Scout Team

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:24 am

Whitwiki Pony wrote:
One Trick Pony wrote:
Whitwiki Pony wrote:[quote="Rebel10"]It’s not whether he wants to or not. And I do think he is physical so I am not trying to make a backhanded comment about the young man’s physicality. Just think some may have unfairly type cast him into a running QB. I don’t think he is opposed it at all but it is clear that he is best when he is spreading the ball around. And Upshaw looked kplike he had a pretty good arm on him as well so I am not ready to throw him in the “running QB” bucket as well, not that he can’t run.

I don't hear color

Can you paint with all the colors of the wind?[/quote]
Sativa cannabis certainly
One Trick Pony

Postby JasonB » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:03 am

Whitwiki Pony wrote:

I get it, but for me personally, it was based of of what I saw in practice. In practice, he wasn't afraid to run the ball at all, and often did. Both as part of a scramble and off a zone read/RPO. In fact, I would go as far as to say his red zone efficiency in the practices I was at was much better than Hicks because of his mobility.

I didn't report on it at the time because I thought the coaches might leverage him in the red zone for special packages.
JasonB

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:09 am

Brown's not the answer
One Trick Pony

Previous

Return to Football