PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Nick Saban 'disappointed' in spotty Bama student-attendance

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Nick Saban 'disappointed' in spotty Bama student-attendance

Postby docabel » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:00 am

docabel
Heisman

Re: Nick Saban 'disappointed' in spotty Bama student-attenda

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:35 am

don't schedule Louisiana Lafayette at 11:00 a.m. -problem solved

Attendance is way up decade over decade in every major conference-what's not popular is non-competitive, punching-bag opponents playing at 11:00 or on weekdays just for TV. The Dallas Cowboys don't get to schedule Monterrey Tech or the Texas School for the Blind -why should fans attend games especially against Division 1-AA teams that have about 25 less scholarships and 95% less operating revenue.

Its an Urban Myth that attendance for major college football is going down. NCAA attendance may be down-there's also now 130 teams rather than 105. In Texas for example-attendance is way way up over past decades at the major programs -UT, A&M, Tech, Baylor, TCU and UH.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:50 am

Kinda like Houston Baptist?
One Trick Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:12 am

Maybe they're bored with winning. Lol
ALEX LIFESON

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Bama has had this problem before in the past 3 years. There was much publicity 3 years ago when both Saban and the university president called out the students and made all sorts of threats about taking away season tickets....etc. Last time over 16,000 missing students were involved; I recall they left to tailgate and did not return. As I watch on TV I see huge amounts of empty seats at top level college games and in the first 3 weeks of the NFL there were many regular season games where the stadiums looked empty. I agree that big time college fans hate to watch games against Div II teams as a waste of time and $$$, but the younger generation is far more interested in fantasy football and the results of the games than actually attending.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm

that's another point. Students used to be given quality seats at every SWC school -now they are put in the end zone by a lot of schools-Baylor and TCU have taken a different approach giving students the best sideline seats in the house from end zone to end zone. Its not surprising those schools have among the highest student ticket sales as a percentage of enrollment in the country. I read an article about Tom Herman last week that suggested that UT relocated some season ticket holders to bring more students down to better seats because the atmosphere was terrible in Austin. The article said UT was ecstatic with the atmosphere after the first 2 games. Is it really so surprising that students leave the game against WhatsamatterU when they have been relegated to sitting in the rafters.

(BTW I believe the AAC has an arcade rule prohibiting students from sitting behind the opposing bench-or at least CUSA did)
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

Stallion

Postby TidePony » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:20 pm

This problem is not new, it was like this for non marquee games in the 80s when I was a Bama Imagestudent, too. Plus, in those days we played many games in B-ham which made it worse. It was easier to stay in the fraternity house and drink, and drink, and drink some more.
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby Topper » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:55 am

In the old days at the Cotton Bowl, for instance, student seating for our games started at the 50 yard line. I think the band was on the 40. I'm not sure why we don't do the same thing at Ford given that the stands on the student side are virtually empty. Do we give fraternities tickets in blocks? I'm afraid many of the kids are outside the gates scavenging for beer which they see as a better use of their energy.
Topper
Hall of Famer

Postby dr rc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:39 am

Stallion wrote:
(BTW I believe the AAC has an arcade rule prohibiting students from sitting behind the opposing bench-or at least CUSA did)

The SEC has that rule too. It's something like the first 15-20 rows behind the bench is not allowed to be student seating. Apparently there were issues in the past (I'm assuming LSU was probably the problem). A&M tried to apply for a waiver when they joined the conference since their student section has always been there but the SEC wouldn't budge.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby soccermom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:32 pm

I went to the uh-tulsa game Thursday night. UH had a good student turnout in their endzone seats.....the first half. Lots of empty student seats by the end of the 3rd qtr.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:45 pm

soccermom wrote:I went to the uh-tulsa game Thursday night. UH had a good student turnout in their endzone seats.....the first half. Lots of empty student seats by the end of the 3rd qtr.

They probably all move to Section 104
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:24 pm

soccermom wrote:I went to the uh-tulsa game Thursday night. UH had a good student turnout in their endzone seats.....the first half. Lots of empty student seats by the end of the 3rd qtr.

Attendance looked pretty weak on TV...but that's just one more reason why Houston is playing along with SMU in the AAC instead of being invited to join the Big XII. Their fan support has not equaled their performance on the field.
Charleston Pony

Postby AustinPerson » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:28 pm

Wait, we're having a conversation about where SMU should place students at the game? Any individual can sit on the 50-year-line at SMU games - you just walk over there and pick any seat in the section that you want.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:32 pm

AustinPerson wrote:Wait, we're having a conversation about where SMU should place students at the game? Any individual can sit on the 50-year-line at SMU games - you just walk over there and pick any seat in the section that you want.

not in front on mrydel's lawn

Stallion

Postby soccermom » Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:50 pm

mrydel wrote:

They probably all move to Section 104

We thought they probably went to the library. :wink:
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Next

Return to Football