PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Change by Ivy League drops concussions

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Change by Ivy League drops concussions

Postby leopold » Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:04 am

This may be a little off topic, but it's relevant nonetheless.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... off-change

By making a small change to the kickoff the ivy league was able to lower concussions by about 80%. This is a potential major break through in making the game safer.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Re: Change by Ivy League drops concussions

Postby No Quarter » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:00 am

leopold wrote:This may be a little off topic, but it's relevant nonetheless.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... off-change

By making a small change to the kickoff the ivy league was able to lower concussions by about 80%. This is a potential major break through in making the game safer.

Is the reason for the observed / reported difference in concussion rates between the Ivies and the NFL the bigger and faster players in the latter?

After kick offs what is the play during which players are most likely to suffer a concussion? Punts maybe?

Was there a discussion on this board a while back about eliminating kick offs altogether?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby mr. pony » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:25 am

Oh,my!
And where does the concussion rate go if the game is eliminated -
and everyone stays indoors, safe and sound from all danger?
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:40 am

No Quarter wrote:
Is the reason for the observed / reported difference in concussion rates between the Ivies and the NFL the bigger and faster players in the latter?

After kick offs what is the play during which players are most likely to suffer a concussion? Punts maybe?

Was there a discussion on this board a while back about eliminating kick offs altogether?

Not sure, and those are good questions. I wouldn't be surprised to see the FBS and NFL take a hard look at these adjustments in an attempt to fix the issue, and if they can get rid of 80% of the risk by simply pushing the kickoff up 5 yards I don't see that play going away altogether.

mr. pony wrote:Oh,my!
And where does the concussion rate go if the game is eliminated -
and everyone stays indoors, safe and sound from all danger?

Ehhh, I don't really equate moving the kickoff 5 yards - something that has been done before for no other reason than to make the game more entertaining - to eliminating the game. It sounds a lot more like fixing the problem, to me.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:59 pm

if you move the kickoff to the 40 then 95% of kickoffs would be touchbacks-then you will find that kickoffs are actually quite unnecessary just as the jump ball in Basketball is completely unnecessary. 30% of kickoffs result in some sort of penalty anyway. Football has to change to survive whether people like it or not.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dr rc » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:54 pm

Meh, seems like FBS already has it right with the ability to call a fair catch if the ball is inside the 25.
dr rc
Varsity

Return to Football