PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

UCF Post Mortem-Pony Midterms

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

UCF Post Mortem-Pony Midterms

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:39 am

UCF game, pretty much what was expected. 2 yards per carry, against a team that had been giving up over 207 per game...O-Line got their butts whipped all night. We better pray Chad Pursley comes back next season.

Running back group; was supposed to be the strength of the team. But, there hasn't been one game when all 3 were healthy. Braeden West takes a lot of heat for running out of bounds so often, but he has been the only one to play every game. I kind of feel sorry for Xavier Jones. He has had injury problems in each season, this year has been a disaster. When he IS out there, he's slow, no burst, or explosiveness.
Kemon Freemon, is another one that has been injury prone, since arriving on the Hilltop. I don't want to see anymore pictures of him in his underwear, with people crowing about "what a beast he is".

TE Ryan Becker need to get better on his open field blocking. His man continuously sheds him and gets the ball carrier, on what could have been a big play. He's good at blocking in the box.

The receivers Sonny inherited are poor at best. Thank goodness for former JJ commit James Proche. Chad receivers Joshua Shelmire-bust. Alex Honey-bust and gone. The weed puffer from Rockwall-gone. Brandon Benson- alligator arms. JJ recruit Myron Gailliard-small, slow and alligator arms. All of them need to improve on blocking...soft.

Anyone else notice, starting when Hicks was put on the bench in the 2nd half against Michigan. The camera always catches him at the back of the bench, joking and just chit chatting. When he is on the field after a bad play or failed drive....he's laughing. What's up with that?

Defense (especially db's) reverted to old habits last night. Bad angles, over pursuing, missed tackles and allowing too many yards after contact.

I was expecting a little more, from Trevor Denbow.

DeLonte Scott is developing nicely.

Chris Biggers is just a body. Watch some of the Navy game, self preservation was the only thing on his mind on each snap.

This has been one of the most physically beat up and injury prone teams, that I have ever seen.

Anyone else notice, the ESPNU cameras, seemed very far back last night.

I will post the years injury list later.
ALEX LIFESON
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: UCF Post Mortem-Pony Midterms

Postby One Trick Pony » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:47 am

Quote The camera always catches him at the back of the bench, joking and just chit chatting. When he is on the field after a bad play or failed drive....he's laughing. What's up with that? Quote

https://youtu.be/0Em25nnEWUA
My favorite scene was cut out at the end of that clip the moving van
One Trick Pony

Postby mtrout » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:30 am

Damn. People rail on hicks when he gets mad, rail on hicks when he’s using poor body language, rail on Hicks when he’s laughing. What is he supposed to do?

He’s probably loosened up now that he’s not the starter and all pressure is off.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:37 am

West really has been remarkably durable for a guy his size. Let's hope TaMerik Williams and Sonny's RB recruits can contribute in the near future but we definitely need more brawlers up front to make the running game go. If this class holds up, it would appear help at DB and WR is on the way.
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:15 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:UCF game, pretty much what was expected. 2 yards per carry, against a team that had been giving up over 207 per game...O-Line got their butts whipped all night. We better pray Chad Pursley comes back next season.

This was one time when I questioned the play calling on running plays. Why keep trying to run wide? UCF loved tosses and sweeps as it allowed their LBs to run free to the ball. Instead attack directly and force their DL to find the ballcarrier with an OL driving straight into them. In addition, running straight at UCF would have yielded positive yards, kept the offense on schedule and burned more clock.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:23 pm

"This has been one of the most physically beat up and injury prone teams, that I have ever seen."

KAZ doing a great job.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:55 pm

footballdad wrote:"This has been one of the most physically beat up and injury prone teams, that I have ever seen."

KAZ doing a great job.

Must admit I had the same thought when I saw that comment.
Charleston Pony

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:37 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
footballdad wrote:"This has been one of the most physically beat up and injury prone teams, that I have ever seen."

KAZ doing a great job.

Must admit I had the same thought when I saw that comment.

As did I !! Wonder if there is really something to this thesis ??
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:38 am

This isn't like when June hired the old coach whose certificates had expired and we pulled hamstrings all over the place.

1) A lot of the players who are getting hurt are the GTs who haven't been in the program.
2) We are playing a physical style of defense with players who have bulked up but were originally recruited for speed, and playing against an incredibly physical schedule. Michigan, TCU, and Navy are three of the most physical teams in the country.

So, I don't think it is a surprise, nor is it on Kaz.
JasonB

Return to Football