PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Hicks won't block

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Hicks won't block

Postby HorsePower » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:14 pm

Today's game was like some of my tee shots that never get 2 feet off the ground. But if it lands in the fairway, it was a great shot. Not pretty, but a win is a win.
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:09 am

GeorgiaMustang wrote:What the heck?! Why is he still in there? Play calling isn't great either. Pretty predictable.

Coaching staff finally figured out this was a game they needed to use the pass to set up the run. Several holes opened up late but agree it was a bad plan early. As for why Hicks played the entire game, I have to assume Dykes went with experience and the better passer vs athleticism and in hindsight, you have to give him credit. Would have been easy to pull Hicks at half and who knows which way this game might have gone?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby BUS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:53 am

Hicks still won't block. ANOTHER pick 6.
D played much better than in years past!!!!!!
Ugly but a win.
I wonder if we see any more of Brown and he red shirts? Or is my math wrong and this year counts for him already.

A win is good but P6H is not so much.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:02 am

BUS wrote:Hicks still won't block. ANOTHER pick 6.
D played much better than in years past!!!!!!
Ugly but a win.
I wonder if we see any more of Brown and he red shirts? Or is my math wrong and this year counts for him already.

A win is good but P6H is not so much.

I think Brown has played in 5 games so the RS has already been burned. Sonny said he was still nursing an injury from UCF game and struggled in practice but expects to use him again this year. Interesting that he also put the pick 6 on Proche for quitting on the route
Charleston Pony

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:50 am

If you watch the replay you will easily see that this pick six was on Proche
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby smupony94 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:31 pm

mrydel wrote:If you watch the replay you will easily see that this pick six was on Proche

Sonny agrees with you
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Its funny that nobody has mentioned that the same announcer twice criticized Brown for doing the exact same thing in the first quarter of the Houston Baptist game -not blocking-once on the exact same play and once on a broken play run away from its intended hole. It was a home game but its available on ESPN replay. Shocking nobody remembers that?
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:47 pm

Stallion wrote:Its funny that nobody has mentioned that the same announcer twice criticized Brown for doing the exact same thing in the first quarter of the Houston Baptist game -not blocking-once on the exact same play and once on a broken play run away from its intended hole. It was a home game but its available on ESPN replay. Shocking nobody remembers that?

Did anyone bother to watch? I thought you had called for a boycott.
Charleston Pony

Postby BUS » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:06 pm

Only saw part of game. Listened to pick six on radio. Glad we won but he needs to grow and hit..... even just a little
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:07 pm

The no blocking on the run play and the no diving on the ball on the bad snap drives me nuts. I can only guess that maybe Sonny told him don't get injured. However, if that's the case, why are we running plays where the QB would need to throw a block? I think the most frustrating thing of the game were the drop passes and OC playcalling. I really hope we keep Kane as DC. I'm worried that other P5 teams will take notice.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:16 pm

In this situation the term block probably does not apply as it implies actually taking a physical action to engage the defender. Hicks was not required to take any significant physical action other than merely screen the defender from direct access to the runner.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:23 pm

So then it's just not helping his teammates. You would think that would get returned back at him but I haven't noticed any others body language being negative towards him. I'm just confused with it. If its a bad attitude, you have to take that out of the game. If it's to keep him from being injured then don't call those dumb plays. If it's something else, then?
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:27 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:So then it's just not helping his teammates. You would think that would get returned back at him but I haven't noticed any others body language being negative towards him.

If Hicks keeps this up then at some point an offensive lineman just lets somebody through clean so they can clock him.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm

He's saving himself for Eastern Washington...

On the whole, QBs don't block, per se. Hicks fits the model.

OTOH, he threw a critical pass for a critical score (not the INT, the pass to Proche), so he gets a pass...just like the Navy game....
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football