PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:07 am

SMU1523 wrote:Ben Hicks is the SMU Tony Romo. Great stats, can win a game, but also can lose several in the most frustrating way.

that seems like a great analogy!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:46 am

CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:2 Hawaii bowl wins (boring as hell)

Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!

Exactly! When did our standards become such that bowl wins only count if it is an exciting game AND the opponent's coaching staff is fully engaged? Last time I checked, no one apologizes for bowl wins. We don't return trophies just because some folks think was a "boring" game.

he is fighting the War Against Christmas Bowls-he just doesn't want to say it
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:49 am

Or maybe he's associating the boringness of the NFL Pro Bowl with any game in that stadium. I didn't find anything boring about any of our last three bowl wins. They were water in a desert -- or more appropriately, islands in a vast sea.
ponyboy

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:24 am

Both Hawaii Bowls were rad. Padron was on fire in the first one and Gilbert/Hunt in the second, both against future starting QBs for the NFL. If that's "boring", I'll take it. Two of the most fun games since the 80s I've been at. Now if Hicks can catch fire in our next two games, the team can "bore" me to heck and back. Big IF though.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:52 am

Right. What's not to like about this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpvAzrtZgNI
ponyboy

Postby JoeKidd » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Hunt was a man-child in that game and some of that is coming out in his pro-game finally this year. I didn't get to see the Tulane game but it seems like D. Scott is really coming on and may be our next big edge rush threat. Certainly seems he has all the tools.
#1 Day At A Time
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:27 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:

Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!

I wish I could say I was old enough to follow them during the SWC days. Believe me! I would love to see SMU football at its greatest but unfortunately I have to search the web for that. I’m just saying from my own perspective along with work colleagues around the same age. I’ll give it this. The first Hawaii bowl was great during snow apocalypse in Texas but the 2nd was not memorable.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:29 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:

Exactly! When did our standards become such that bowl wins only count if it is an exciting game AND the opponent's coaching staff is fully engaged? Last time I checked, no one apologizes for bowl wins. We don't return trophies just because some folks think was a "boring" game.

Again, I respect your opinion but this is just my perspective. I’m certainly not saying this is how every SMU fan feels. This is just from my own perspective and fellow colleagues and friends from other schools. I will say I love the fan support at the Birmingham bowl. We look like a real road fan base then.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Stallion wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!

he is fighting the War Against Christmas Bowls-he just doesn't want to say it

This is actually accurate. I will not deny this. :D
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:33 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:
CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!

Again, I respect your opinion but this is just my perspective. I’m certainly not saying this is how every SMU fan feels. This is just from my own perspective and fellow colleagues and friends from other schools.

1. Meet more SMU fans.
2. I don't know which schools your colleagues and friends attended, but it is highly likely they aren't in the position to look down on bowl wins simply because they aren't "exciting enough".
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:55 am

They're P5 school fans. They think anything below the P5 is generally a joke. They're the kind of crowd that thinks P5 should become the new Div-1 and Group of Five becomes Div-2 and so on. Some of them actually respect UCF but that's about it.
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponyboy » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:55 am

In that sense, I agree with them. As an SMU fan, the bowls were very exciting. But I get it.
ponyboy

Postby Charleston Pony » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:16 pm

The playoffs have rendered the vast majority of bowl games "boring and uninteresting" with the possible exception of the BCS bowl lineup...so plenty of P5 schools are playing in what amounts to meaningless and boring bowl games as well...or does anyone other than those schools' fans get excited about two .500 P5 programs matching up?
Charleston Pony

Postby Timothythegreat » Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:04 am

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:
SMU1523 wrote:Ben Hicks is the SMU Tony Romo. Great stats, can win a game, but also can lose several in the most frustrating way.

No, Tony could actually throw the ball. Tim Tebow is a more accurate analogy ...Horrible accuracy most of the game and then when it’s on the line gets everyone to rally around him and has ice in his veins at the critical moments.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:12 am

Timothythegreat wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:

No, Tony could actually throw the ball. Tim Tebow is a more accurate analogy ...Horrible accuracy most of the game and then when it’s on the line gets everyone to rally around him and has ice in his veins at the critical moments.

Yes Tim would be a good analogy from a passing perspective however he had a much better attitude and effort...
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football