PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:17 pm

Part of the equation-yes he throws a lazy pass but give him some credit

Game winning drive a TD pass against Cincy and key 4th down conversion
Game tying TD drive and TD pass against Navy (2017)-SMU never saw the field again in last play loss
Game winning TD drive against Tulsa (2017)-72 yards passing in drive finished by X. Jones
Game winning drive and TD pass against Tulane (2017)
Game winning OT drive and TD pass and 2 point conversion TD pass against Navy (2018)
Game winning drive and TD pass against Tulane (2018)
Last edited by Stallion on Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: 5th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:27 pm

Yes, Hicks deserves credit for not giving up when it sure looked like he was ready to in that 1st half. He's frustratingly inconsistent but has come up big several times as you pointed out. The way Tulane stuffed our running game today, I assume the coaching staff figured he was our best option and never wavered from that decision. Sonny gets some credit here as well, although we have no idea how Brown may have performed. I felt bad for Robeson having to make diving circus catches all day (reinjured that ankle after having to twist around on that long throw late) because Hicks' passes were so inaccurate, but the throw to Proche at crunch time was money!
Charleston Pony

Re: 6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Stallion » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:29 pm

both Proche and Roberson dropped the ball all day-7 or 8 drops
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Re: 5th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Timothythegreat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:Yes, Hicks deserves credit for not giving up when it sure looked like he was ready to in that 1st half. He's frustratingly inconsistent but has come up big several times as you pointed out. The way Tulane stuffed our running game today, I assume the coaching staff figured he was our best option and never wavered from that decision. Sonny gets some credit here as well, although we have no idea how Brown may have performed. I felt bad for Robeson having to make diving circus catches all day (reinjured that ankle after having to twist around on that long throw late) because Hicks' passes were so inaccurate, but the throw to Proche at crunch time was money!

All true. I was calling for the switch so I will eat my crow and say he did a great job on the whole and dykes made the right call.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:30 pm

Valid thread.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby malonish » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:31 pm

Consistently inconsistent makes for good drama.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:37 pm

Stallion wrote:both Proche and Roberson dropped the ball all day-7 or 8 drops

a couple of "bad" drops but some were on balls thrown in the dirt or too long or behind them or with a guy draped all over them. No denying that Hicks is often late delivering the ball and very inaccurate at times. Fortunately, the Tulane QB was even worse.
Charleston Pony

Postby blackoutpony » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:13 pm

Stallion will do anything to defend a Chad Morris recruit.....lolololol.

Proche and Roberson both dropped 4 balls, the o line was garbage and so was Lashlees play calling, but so was Hicks perforamcne, attitude and effort for 80% of the game. He’s checked out and gave zero [deleted] the whole first half.

We won because Tulane is awful and our defense had a spine. The entire O, especially Hicks, owe Kevin Kane, Richard Moore, Trevor Denbow, Dermerick Gary and Mikial Onu many steak dinners.

Shout out to Ken McClarin for finally being visible while were at it.
BOP - Providing insensitivity training for a politically correct world since 1989.
blackoutpony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ponypatrick » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:45 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Stallion will do anything to defend a Chad Morris recruit.....lolololol.

Proche and Roberson both dropped 4 balls, the o line was garbage and so was Lashlees play calling, but so was Hicks perforamcne, attitude and effort for 80% of the game. He’s checked out and gave zero [deleted] the whole first half.

We won because Tulane is awful and our defense had a spine. The entire O, especially Hicks, owe Kevin Kane, Richard Moore, Trevor Denbow, Dermerick Gary and Mikial Onu many steak dinners.

On the money with these comments !!! Most of those comebacks would not have been necessary if there
had been good , consistent QB play. And ,oh by the way , Stallion #14 is not gonna get us there.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Timothythegreat » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:30 pm

blackoutpony wrote:Stallion will do anything to defend a Chad Morris recruit.....lolololol.

Stallion does not need to defend Hicks, the fact that Hicks owns or nearly owns every significant passing record in school history defends him well enough. Many may not like him, but it is undeniable that he was a very solid signing and has done well in his time here.

And yes, it’s about time a red shirt freshman finally showed up so late in his career during the seventh game Of the season. I was just about ready to write him off as a bust!
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:23 pm

This is NOTa defense of Stallion defending players signed by Chad Morris but my memory is that Chad Morris started at SMU late enough in the recruiting cycle that getting Hicks showed good work.

Someone else might be able to name QBs interested in SMU before the arrival of Morris who he dropped and who have performed well at their eventual destinations.

Further, it seems that Morris tried to upgrade the position during his time at SMU. Davey Morris from Milton GA showed interest before going to Memphis although I understand things did not work out well for him there. OTOH Charlie Brewer has made a good start at Baylor including against Texas. There were also a couple a transfers, celebrated players at their original schools, who did not work out, and yes, I remember the comment by another observer that one had done little at the college level and would never play at SMU.

I agree that Hicks has been inconsistent, etc., etc., but don't won't to get into any of the other criticisms he's received. I would be to see a case made that any other QB we have had in school or might have had in school would have done better.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby jpe747 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:53 am

Hicks has played his entire college experience behind a less than perfect offensive line. The fact that the passing game was virtually the entire offense against Tulane (no running game) puts extra pressure on the qb and receivers. And, dodging defensive players tends to take its toil on passing accuracy. Finally, it seems to me that Hicks does his best when the game in on the line. That's a quality that doesn't show up on the stats but is important on the field.
jpe747
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:53 am

I've been critical of Hicks but also acknowledge the good things he's done. He tends to telegraph his throws, he doesn't have the strongest arm and has demonstrated (by all the pick sixes) he can't throw the out pattern well, but more often than not he has come through at crunch time, so have to give him credit.

As others have said, he hasn't exactly played behind an all-conference OL and yesterday was brutal at times. Andre Ware was critical of Hicks almost to a fault. At one point, he criticized Hicks for slide stepping to his left, out of the pocket, after he threw another wounded duck on an out pattern but the way I saw it, it was to Hicks credit to move out of the pocket to have a clear throwing lane. He just made a bad throw as he so often does.

Bottom line is that in just 2-1/2 seasons, he has set a lot of records at SMU so all in all he's been one of our better post death penalty players. And before anyone wise cracks...yes, he undoubtedly has the school record for pick sixes as well as the "positive" records he owns.
Charleston Pony

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:36 am

Yeah, so Hicks is now one of the best players Morris ever recruited........ which tells us all we need to know about Morris recruiting.....and Stallions pathetic defense of it. :roll:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUer » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 am

Pick-Six-Clutch-Hicks...okay, sounds good
SMUer

Next

Return to Football