PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 6th Clutch 4th Q drive (in about last 13 games)

Postby Timothythegreat » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:04 am

footballdad wrote:Yeah, so Hicks is now one of the best players Morris ever recruited........ which tells us all we need to know about Morris recruiting.....and Stallions pathetic defense of it. :roll:

Morris’ recruiting was neither as good as stallion hyped it, nor as bad as you have made it out to be. I’ll concede that he did leave some holes at linebacker, receiver,, recruited dbs that were forced to play too early (and really needed to redahirt( and didn’t build legit depth at qb because the commit defected right before signing day 2 years in a row.

That being said, many are making a big deal of the “holes” dykes had to plug after Morris turned over the roster...note, the HOLES needed to be filled, as in Morris brought the ship from beneath the surface, drained all of the water out and now dykes needs to do some patchwork. In 2015 this team had no talent overall with a couple of gems that had no depth behind them. If we averaged out the talent level, let’s call that a 60 overall. He left with a 75 overall talent level, with 2/3 of his recruits still being redshirt sophomores and freshmen, many of whom are showing potential. You’re expecting 3* sophomores to be game changers?

Some of these guys were recruits that were going to need a few years to develop. If Morris missed on them, then so did many other top G5 and mid-level P5 coaches, judging by their offer lists. I seriously doubt that Morris just so happened to take every single recruit that all of his peers and recruiting rivals were wrong about.

And yes, by results (not talent), Ben Hicks is one of the best players Morris recruited. If I had told you before hicks signed that he was going to rewrite all of the school passing records but would have inconsistent accuracy, you would have said let’s look elsewhere?

Football dad 2015: Ben hicks is not a D1 qb, despite what Morris, Herman , klingsbury, harbaugh, and mcelwain all say. I know better.
Football dad 2016: Ben hicks is only going to break records because he will play for four years
Football dad 2017: Ben hicks is only killing it because he has a good team
Football dad 2018: see, I told you he sucks! Look how poorly he’s doing with little to no running game, only a couple of competent running backs and receivers, a young offensive line that has been playing all season without a real o-line coach, terrible play calling, he’s awful!
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby footballdad » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:23 am

Timothythegreat wrote:
footballdad wrote:Yeah, so Hicks is now one of the best players Morris ever recruited........ which tells us all we need to know about Morris recruiting.....and Stallions pathetic defense of it. :roll:

Morris’ recruiting was neither as good as stallion hyped it, nor as bad as you have made it out to be. I’ll concede that he did leave some holes at linebacker, receiver,, recruited dbs that were forced to play too early (and really needed to redahirt( and didn’t build legit depth at qb because the commit defected right before signing day 2 years in a row.

That being said, many are making a big deal of the “holes” dykes had to plug after Morris turned over the roster...note, the HOLES needed to be filled, as in Morris brought the ship from beneath the surface, drained all of the water out and now dykes needs to do some patchwork. In 2015 this team had no talent overall with a couple of gems that had no depth behind them. If we averaged out the talent level, let’s call that a 60 overall. He left with a 75 overall talent level, with 2/3 of his recruits still being redshirt sophomores and freshmen, many of whom are showing potential. You’re expecting 3* sophomores to be game changers?

Some of these guys were recruits that were going to need a few years to develop. If Morris missed on them, then so did many other top G5 and mid-level P5 coaches, judging by their offer lists. I seriously doubt that Morris just so happened to take every single recruit that all of his peers and recruiting rivals were wrong about.

And yes, by results (not talent), Ben Hicks is one of the best players Morris recruited. If I had told you before hicks signed that he was going to rewrite all of the school passing records but would have inconsistent accuracy, you would have said let’s look elsewhere?

Football dad 2015: Ben hicks is not a D1 qb, despite what Morris, Herman , klingsbury, harbaugh, and mcelwain all say. I know better.
Football dad 2016: Ben hicks is only going to break records because he will play for four years
Football dad 2017: Ben hicks is only killing it because he has a good team
Football dad 2018: see, I told you he sucks! Look how poorly he’s doing with little to no running game, only a couple of competent running backs and receivers, a young offensive line that has been playing all season without a real o-line coach, terrible play calling, he’s awful!

"with little to no running game, only a couple of competent running backs and receivers, a young offensive line that has been playing all season without a real o-line coach, terrible play calling"............

Ok Stallion Jr. Any more excuses? Actually proves the point about Morris recruiting if the whole offense is such crap, and has to be totally rebuilt by Sonny. Where are the Morris receivers? Where are all the highly rated Morris linemen?

Go ahead, you and Stallion keep telling us how great Hicks is. Our eyes tell us the opposite. End of story.
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:14 am

I don't think I've seen Stallion on here saying Hicks is the greatest QB ever.

From a stars and offers perspective, Morris' recruits were more highly regarded than June's his last two years, and that was the basis for comparison. It is why everyone was so excited. His classes should have been good enough to allow us to be competitive in the AAC, which is why I thought coming into this season that we would be better than expected with the GTs even though our schedule is difficult.

That said, it is clear with the number of graduate transfers Dykes brought in that there were a lot of holes in the Morris recruiting classes. I would also suggest that if someone is going to be critical of June leaning on Bennett's recruits for success and not give June credit for developing those players, they should probably take the same approach with Morris.

I think it is also clear to everyone that Dykes has taken our recruiting up a level from Morris and that is really exciting to see.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby GeorgiaMustang » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:55 am

Does anyone else have concern over the play calling? It seemed quite predictable and the announcers kept talking about us running it on almost every 1st down
Those who complain about a problem are simply wasting time they could use to fix it.

Potential is nothing, performance is everything.
GeorgiaMustang
All-American

Postby angryfan04 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:09 pm

And is stupid to run the read option type of plays with Hicks - he is no threat to run the ball.....do something else......
angryfan04
Varsity

Postby dr rc » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:35 pm

What's pathetic is how much y'all are hating on a guy who has the most passing yards and most TDs at SMU.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby Stallion » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:45 pm

(Updated)-forgot one

TD pass to Proche in final OT drive AND TD 2 point conversion pass to Hunter Thetford to beat Navy (2018)

8 crucial do-or-die 4th quarter/OT passes
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:04 pm

Let's just all agree that June Jones (version 2011 and onwards) sucks.

Someone has already used the ship analogy, so I'll use a car one.

June Jones left us with a car that was abandoned in Fort Worth with no tires, breaks or an engine. Chad put together with a budget a car with tires and an engine. Now Sonny is putting the breaks on with a great DC (hopefully we get to keep him) and is trying to tune the engine to the next level. :) At the end of the day, #BlameJune.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:38 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote: At the end of the day, #BlameJune.

I'll "BLAME JUNE" when and if anyone else takes SMU to four straight bowl appearances. Yes June left us in a hole, but when are we going to four straight bowls again? Is that going to happen in our lifetimes? Sometimes I doubt it, but again maybe we are "just a few years away"!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm

June also got us to the AAC Championship game. I just hope we can get back to that level sometime soon.
Charleston Pony

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:54 pm

Well remember, we were in CUSA whereas coaches now have to deal with much better talented teams and the teams that came over from CUSA have grown immensely. Remember when Memphis and Tulane were easy pushovers?

2009: 7-5 No signature wins and got demolished by Houston. The bowl was the only good win
2010: 7-5 (Lost in CUSA CC) & Lost to Army in our own Stadium. No signature wins was WSU sucked back then.
2011: 7-5 Only signature win was TCU and the epic collapse after going 5-1. Pitt would have been a good win had they not lost their coach.
2012: 6-6: Signature win was Houston and Fresno St In Bowl game.

2 Hawaii bowl wins (boring as hell)
1 Armed Forces bowl loss (beyond disappointing in our own stadium)
1 Birmingham Bowl - great game but Pitt was completely unmotivated

When I type that all out, I'm still with the fact that were blow out of so many games. June couldn't motivate or he himself was pissed after epic collapse of 5-1, which was childish. If you want to prove people wrong, go 11-1 and say next year come see my team. Winning against TCU does not miraculously give you 33k fans. Especially considering we leveled out twice at 7-5 prior and lost in our own stadium in the prior year.

The biggest blame for June was his lazy recruiting, letting fans get in the way of success, and not seeing the bigger picture. ASU dumped him for a reason because people saw he was mediocre and the wins he got at SMU were against bad teams aka Cupcakes. His only defining wins were TCU in one year and Houston in the other. Then he decided to sink the program after '11 and we loss to a crappy North Texas community college leading to whatever "progress" he made here to be completely obliterated.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:37 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:June also got us to the AAC Championship game. I just hope we can get back to that level sometime soon.

Yes it would be nice to at least see that again before we give
kudos to guys that have not done that and trash the guy that did.
Go figure!
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU1523 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:06 pm

Ben Hicks is the SMU Tony Romo. Great stats, can win a game, but also can lose several in the most frustrating way.
SMU1523
Heisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:16 am

SMU_Alum11 wrote:2 Hawaii bowl wins (boring as hell)

Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!
Charleston Pony

Postby CA Mustang » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:54 am

Charleston Pony wrote:
SMU_Alum11 wrote:2 Hawaii bowl wins (boring as hell)

Boring? Lopsided wins, yes...but boring? Not to any SMU fan who followed this team in it's SWC days and had then suffered through the program's post death penalty futility. Every minute was a joy to watch!

Exactly! When did our standards become such that bowl wins only count if it is an exciting game AND the opponent's coaching staff is fully engaged? Last time I checked, no one apologizes for bowl wins. We don't return trophies just because some folks think was a "boring" game.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Football