PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Official SMU vs Cincinnati Game Day.

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Official SMU vs Cincinnati Game Day.

Postby Arkpony » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:32 pm

PonySnob wrote:8 turnovers this year and 5 have been for touchdowns

Ugh!
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby smitty329 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:34 pm

Wish we would have had that 42 yard field goal with 9 minutes left.
smitty329
All-American

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:37 pm

I hate to sound Arkansasish, but that horse collar no call was bigly.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby TidePony » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

And the holding call!
TidePony
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:44 pm

mrydel wrote:I hate to sound Arkansasish, but that horse collar no call was bigly.

You mean big league?
Nobody says bigly.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Timothythegreat » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:47 pm

mr. pony wrote:
mrydel wrote:I hate to sound Arkansasish, but that horse collar no call was bigly.

You mean big league?
Nobody says bigly.

Scott adams does
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby PonyKris89 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:53 pm

Junior wrote:
03Mustang wrote:
lwjr wrote:It looked like a horse collar to me

I’m right down there. It was, clearly.

What happened there? Why wasn’t it called? I was at the game so never got an explanation.

yeah, we never get explanations when the refs have money on the game. but can't think of a better explanation
Beat the hell out of anybody!
PonyKris89
Heisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:55 pm

mr. pony wrote:

You mean big league?
Nobody says bigly.

I believe I just did.
mrydel

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:01 pm

Just got back, and here's the bullet points:

1) SMU "fans" aka spectators suck
2) AAC refs are by far the most garbage refs in all of college football (horse collar and giving Cincy a free time out when the clock should have been running)
3) Picks Hicks strikes again
4) Rhett Lashlee is extremely predictable and doesn't realize our run game sucks (THROW THE DAMN BALL).
5) The only silver lining was our defense was tough just sadly faltered at the end.

THE END move on to next season
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby JasonB » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:42 pm

1) I'm starting to believe the lack of a block and not diving on the FB was indicative of Hicks. He comes up big sometimes, but he really doesn't step into passes if the rush is anywhere near him, and not stepping into throws is a direct cause of his lack of accuracy.

2) Lashlee and Dykes really want to run the ball. Cincy has a fantastic d-line. We couldn't get a push. The most successful drives were when we threw the ball 3 times and just assume Hicks can have a 33% accuracy. I struggled with the runs on 2nd and short. They basically wasted the down ahead of the chains. Running on second down on the goalline after the big West catch was a bad call. In a game like that, you almost have to use Brown or Upshaw as a goal line QB. After the fumble recovery, we were aggressive and threw on first down. We should have done the same after that West catch. Running on second and short also cost us when we settled for the FG at the end of the game, and on the possession when Brown was stopped on third down and we missed the long FG.

3) The other comment I would have about playcalling was that if the other team is dominating the line and playing close to the line, the lateral plays don't work either. We would have been better off just throwing the ball deep over and over again than running reverses and jet sweeps.

4) I really thought with only losing Evan Brown and the influx of JUCO, transfers, and grown up Morris recruits that the OL would be better than last year. Wrong on that one - Stallion predicted it. The change in scheme to more of a power blocking scheme is something they are just not prepared to execute against a top tier DL. The OL has to be dominant for this offense to execute.

5) I love watching Nelson streak to the line of scrimmage and making plays. An absolute missile. He and Mitchell were great today. Clemons has come so far since last year it just blows me away. And J Williams is miles ahead of where he was as well. Moore, Williams, Hailey, Robinson, Denbow are going to be great next season. Just two years removed from the worst LB corps in history.

6) Our DL has real, quality depth. That Wiley kid is just like a Patterson recruit. Find an RB, convert to DE and boom. That dude is already effective and will be a beast next season. Enjoy it. When was the last time we had a frosh DE this effective?

7) If we can hold onto this recruiting class, Dykes is really going to have this program in an awesome place in two years. Making a bowl this season might be difficult, but the team looks poised to flip the record next season and challenge for the conference the year after that. The schedule this year was much harder than expected, with UNT, TCU, Michigan, UCF, Cincy, Houston are six losses for most teams in the country.
JasonB

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:43 am

JasonB wrote: I really thought with only losing Evan Brown and the influx of JUCO, transfers, and grown up Morris recruits that the OL would be better than last year. Wrong on that one - Stallion predicted it. The change in scheme to more of a power blocking scheme is something they are just not prepared to execute against a top tier DL. The OL has to be dominant for this offense to execute.

The schedule this year was much harder than expected, with UNT, TCU, Michigan, UCF, Cincy, Houston are six losses for most teams in the country.

I commented during the 4th quarter that our OL looked soft. They just got manhandled and I didn't see much fight in those guys...just going through the motions I thought.

As for the schedule, I commented in the off-season that Chad bailed at the right time because it was easy to see this was going to be a much tougher slate and a good chance this team would not be able to make it back to a bowl game. I suppose it's still possible, but as i said in pre-season, Sonny and this staff will have done a remarkable job if this team can win 6 games this year.
Charleston Pony

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:03 am

Couldn't tell from my angle, but were any of the Cincinnati FGs at the end of regulation no good?

It looked like the first one might have been wide left.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby JasonB » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:12 am

No, he hit all three of them.
JasonB

Postby mrydel » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:23 am

I have always thought when you have at least least 2 time outs and want to freeze the kicker, that you do not call your last time out. That would leave the thought in the kicker's head that you were going to call time out and maybe make him hesitate a second. When you have used them all he can them relax knowing he will not be stopped again. He has already been thinking about the kick during the drive down field.
mrydel

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:32 am

mrydel wrote:I have always thought when you have at least least 2 time outs and want to freeze the kicker, that you do not call your last time out. That would leave the thought in the kicker's head that you were going to call time out and maybe make him hesitate a second. When you have used them all he can them relax knowing he will not be stopped again. He has already been thinking about the kick during the drive down field.

I totally agree.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

PreviousNext

Return to Football