PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Jordan Wyatt updates

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Jordan Wyatt updates

Postby PonyPride » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:10 pm

The Mustangs' senior cornerback had an interception Saturday against Cincinnati, which means:

• He now has 11 in his career, tying him (with Robert Popelka, Val Joe Walker, Harold Perry, Bryan McCann and Doak Walker) for No. 8 in career interceptions in SMU history.
• His 289 interception return yards are the most in school history (Horace Richardson is second, with 234 on 10 career picks).
• His 289 career interception return yards are the most among all active FBS players (Boston College's Lukas Denis is second, with 244 career interception return yards).
• His 11 career interceptions have Wyatt tied (with Troy's Blace Brown, Appalachian State's Clifton Duck, Nevada's Dameon Baber and Virginia's Juan Thornhill) for the second-most interceptions among active FBS players. The leader is Florida Atlantic's Jalen Young, who has 12.
• Wyatt has 8 forced fumbles in his career, tied (with Nevada's Asauni Rufus and Louisiana Tech's Jaylon Ferguson) for the fourth-highest total among active FBS players. He trails only Old Dominion's Oshane Ximines (who has 9), Nevada's Malik Reed (10) and Kentucky's Josh Allen (11).
• Wyatt leads the nation in career interceptions returned for a touchdown with four, and is tied (with Boise State's Tyler Horton) for the national lead in career defensive returns for a touchdown (with 5).
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: Jordan Wyatt updates

Postby Ikus » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:22 pm

I forgot Doak Walker also played defense
Ikus
Heisman

Postby malonish » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:44 am

Doak also kicked PATs, coached, coordinated strength and conditioning, drove the team bus, and declined every Olympic team offer because it would just be unfair to the other countries if he competed.

He really did kick the PATs though. He was so tired after returning a kick to the TCU 35 in 1947 that when they scored he missed the PAT ending the game in a 19-19 tie.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:32 pm

malonish wrote:Doak also kicked PATs, coached, coordinated strength and conditioning, drove the team bus, and declined every Olympic team offer because it would just be unfair to the other countries if he competed.

He really did kick the PATs though. He was so tired after returning a kick to the TCU 35 in 1947 that when they scored he missed the PAT ending the game in a 19-19 tie.

At one time Doak held the SMU and Cotton Bowl record for longest punt at 82 yards. Kyle Rote later broke that record with an 86 yard boot. I believe Danny Thomas holds the record near 90 yards, but I cannot remember the exact distance.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby AustinPerson » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Would have been interesting to see how Doak Walker, Babe Ruth, etc. would have done back in the day had everyone been allowed to play.
AustinPerson
All-American

Postby peruna81 » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:22 pm

Walker was interviewed years later about the TCU game, and was still upset about that miss...he was a true Mustang, red and blue.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:29 am

Haven't seen a reference to Crash Popelka in quite some time. Always wondered whether concussions may have gotten to him. He was SMU's Cliff Harris in my day. Youngsters may have no idea what I'm talking about here.
Charleston Pony

Postby Nacho » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 am

AustinPerson wrote:Would have been interesting to see how Doak Walker, Babe Ruth, etc. would have done back in the day had everyone been allowed to play.

they would have done very well no matter the competition. doak was a good player in the nfl. babe was hitting against some fine pitchers. not really an issue for those two.
Nacho

Postby mrydel » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:31 am

Charleston Pony wrote:Haven't seen a reference to Crash Popelka in quite some time. Always wondered whether concussions may have gotten to him. He was SMU's Cliff Harris in my day. Youngsters may have no idea what I'm talking about here.

I saw “Pop-a-Lick” not too long ago and he looked like he could still play. Great player and wonderful teammate.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Return to Football