PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

James Proché

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: James Proché

Postby dr rc » Wed Oct 31, 2018 3:56 pm

None of that matters and if it makes you feel better by all means twist yourself into a pretzel to call SMU WR U but just know that everyone else will be rolling their eyes at that just like this board would be doing if a school like UNT or Texas and A&M even was trying to claim WRU with the same amount of players making the NFL in the last 10.

dr rc
Varsity

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:39 pm

I would hardly call SMU WRU but at least we can point to several SMU players on NFL rosters and try to sell recruits on the idea that you can pass on those P5 offers, come to SMU, be a stud and you WILL be noticed by NFL scouts.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby JasonB » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:25 pm

dr rc wrote:None of that matters and if it makes you feel better by all means twist yourself into a pretzel to call SMU WR U but just know that everyone else will be rolling their eyes at that just like this board would be doing if a school like UNT or Texas and A&M even was trying to claim WRU with the same amount of players making the NFL in the last 10.

I'm not the one who called us WRU but active or not does matter. Schools in P5 conferences are more likely to have players drafted because they have all the measurables, were big recruits in high school, but don't impress in college for whatever reason and NFL coaches will draft them and turn them into a project and then dump them. The average NFL career is short, so the fact that ours stick around is actually a pretty important distinction. I'd be curious to know how many other schools have 5 WR on rosters right now. That list can't be very long. There are what, 170 WR in the league right now? 3% of the league from a small program might not be WRU, but it isn't bad.

Name me the number of teams where both starting receivers come from the same college program?
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

dr rc wrote:None of that matters and if it makes you feel better by all means twist yourself into a pretzel to call SMU WR U but just know that everyone else will be rolling their eyes at that just like this board would be doing if a school like UNT or Texas and A&M even was trying to claim WRU with the same amount of players making the NFL in the last 10.

I'm responding primarily to bump that enormously annoying DiCaprio gif up the page a bit.

Let's be clear about something: Using the "Wide Receiver U" moniker doesn't mean we get a Sports Illustrated cover. No one has ever claimed we're #1 in the nation or whatever. It's just an acknowledgement that for where we are as a program we put a wildly disproportionate number of successful WRs in the NFL.
ponyboy

Postby ojaipony » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:45 pm

Proche is now #9 in the country in number of receptions.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... receptions

Tied for #8 in TDs.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... receptions
ojaipony

Postby mustangxc » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:51 am

WR U because we have 2 feature WR (Sanders and Beasley) on 2 different NFL teams with another (Sutton) that is the second option on one of those 2 teams and another (Robinson) that has had a decent career in the NFL. We also have another (Quinn) that was set to be a significant contributor for a team had he not gotten injured. If Sanders can maintain his level for several more seasons and Sutton can become a regular pro-bowler then I would say we definitely stake our claim as WRU.
mustangxc

Postby 82Pony » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:58 pm

If I've learned anything from our Commander In Chief, it's that if you keep saying something over and over the majority of people will believe it. SMU = WRU!
82Pony
Varsity

Postby malonish » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:52 pm

WRWADAMNFLPU

Wide Receiver We Are Doing Alright Making National Football League Players University
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Previous

Return to Football