PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Whats up with the offensive line?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Whats up with the offensive line?

Postby Timothythegreat » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:06 am

I’m somewhat puzzled as to how this group has regressed so much from last year. Heading into this season, and very capable offensive line from last year that was returning four starters Figured to be a safe bet to be one of the stronger units and that lashlee Would be able to lean very heavily on the run to offset the loss of Quinn and Sutton.

The offensive scheme comes from the same family, so I would imagine there are pretty similar blocking assignments. The players are more experienced, stronger, and bigger. Most of these guys were very solid recruits, so I would seriously doubt that all of those other coaches missed on Them, especially because they were good last year.So what gives?

Play calling? Is it because there has been an interim line coach this season? I understand that Lashlee is not doing them any favors by calling vanilla plays In predictable sequences, but it’s rare that they are even getting a push up front these days.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Re: Whats up with the offensive line?

Postby JasonB » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

I've been thinking about this a lot lately as well... this is what I have come up with:

1) The blocking scheme is a bit different - CM always wanted to go power, but because of limitations on the OL ran more pass protection and misdirection. This coaching staff is forcing them to run power, which isn't their strength.

2) Center position plateaued instead of matured and Brown was a big loss.

3) Our OL coach last year was great. Our OL coach this year hasn't been able to coach at all. Lots of people stepping up, but they aren't at the same level. Coaching actually matters.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Donnell88 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:27 pm

JasonB wrote:I've been thinking about this a lot lately as well... this is what I have come up with:

1) The blocking scheme is a bit different - CM always wanted to go power, but because of limitations on the OL ran more pass protection and misdirection. This coaching staff is forcing them to run power, which isn't their strength.

2) Center position plateaued instead of matured and Brown was a big loss.

3) Our OL coach last year was great. Our OL coach this year hasn't been able to coach at all. Lots of people stepping up, but they aren't at the same level. Coaching actually matters.

When Sonny Dykes arrived, he noted that our offensive and defensive lines needed to be bigger & stronger. I've never bought into the theory that a 300-pounder is simply better than a 275 pounder. What you gain in weight, you often lose in athleticism and quickness. Is that a convincing argument? Just look at the drop off in our running game.
Donnell88
All-American

Postby JasonB » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:25 am

I think it depends on the blocking scheme. If you are just trying to turn a defender on a counter and you want players to move and get out in space on a sweep, then the smaller linemen work.

If you want to run a power game, they don't.

We are in-between this season. Trying to run power with an offensive line that isn't big enough or strong enough.

It also doesn't help that the other team loads the box and we don't throw downfield enough. Look at the Cowboys...
JasonB

Postby ponyboy » Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:16 am

And it depends on the person. If you're adding fat to a 275 guy to get him to 300, you're not generally going to improve him as an offensive lineman regardless of scheme. But if you've got two guys with the same level of athleticism and quickness, one of whom is a natural 275 pounder and one of whom is a naturally 300, you go for the bigger guy every time.
ponyboy

Return to Football