PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

If 4 teams tie we win the division

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

If 4 teams tie we win the division

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:09 pm

If SMU, Memphis and Tulane win on Saturday, it would create a 4 way tie at the top of the West. Here are the tiebreakers. I believe that option d would come into play and result in us winning the division. And then playing UCF in the championship game, losing that and losing a bowl and finishing at 6-8 :):

MULTIPLE TEAM TIE FOR THE DIVISION CHAMPIONSHIP
a. If three or more teams are tied atop a division at the end of the season, the following
criteria are used to eliminate teams until just two teams remain, at which point the
two-team tiebreaking procedure is used;
b. If one team defeated all other teams, then that team shall be declared the division
champion;
c. If still tied, and if two teams defeated the additional tied team (s), the defeated
team(s) is eliminated;
d. If still tied, highest winning percentage of tied teams within the division;
e. If still tied, head-to-head competition against the team within the division with the
next best overall Conference winning percentage (4, 5, and 6) breaking ties using the
conference tie-breaking procedures proceeding through the division until one team
prevails;
f. If still tied, combined highest winning percentage against all common non-divisional
Conference opponents;
g. If still tied, if one team was ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee
rankings and wins in the final weekend of the Conference regular season, they will
be declared the division champion, If in that same scenario, the team that was the
highest-ranked team in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings loses in
the final weekend of the Conference regular season, a composite average of selected
computer rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) will be used to
determine the division champion;
h. If there are multiple teams ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee
rankings, the highest-ranked team that wins in the final weekend of the Conference
regular season will be declared the division champion;
i. If none of the ranked teams win in the final weekend of the Conference regular
season, a composite average of selected computer rankings (Anderson & Hester,
Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) after all games conclude the final weekend of the
Conference regular season will be used to determine the division champion;
j. If no teams are ranked in the latest available CFP Selection Committee rankings going
into the final weekend of the Conference regular season, a composite average of
selected computer rankings (Anderson & Hester, Billingsley, Colley and Wolfe) after all
games conclude the final weekend of the Conference regular season will be used to
determine the division champion;
k. If still tied, the team with the highest overall (Conference and non-conference winning
percentage [excluding exempt games] shall be the division champion;
l. If still tied, coin toss will be conducted by the Commissioner.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: If 4 teams tie we win the division

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:11 pm

I'm hoping we win along with Houston and Tulane. Do we really want to play in the conference championship with a 6-6 record? I know UCLA did in 2011 and then petitioned for an exemption to qualify for a bowl game as a 6-7 team due to the fact that the 7th loss came in the conference championship and subsequently ended the season 6-8. I think that is more embarrassing than something to be proud of.
mustangxc

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:05 pm

that would be a hoot.
Nacho

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:06 pm

are you both assuming we lose the bowl game?
and why if you don't even know who and where we play?
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:59 pm

I meant winning the tie breaker which would be so great.
we would lose to ucf.
too early to call bowl game since we don't know who we are playing.
Nacho

Postby mustangxc » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:37 pm

Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:are you both assuming we lose the bowl game?

I'm assuming we would lose the conference championship game at UCF. Then depending on who we play in a bowl game would finish the season at best 7-7 or at worst 6-8, which to me is not a good look.
mustangxc

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:43 pm

We need to win at Tulsa and I think without King, Memphis will win. So 3-4 way tie for first is a strong possibility. Nice for first year. Beat Tulsa.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:45 pm

I would love another chance against Central Florida and certainly don't assume it would be a loss!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby SmooPower » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:30 pm

I think Memphis will actually be the winner of the division in that case. B kicks in if one team swept all the other teams they tied with, which wouldn't be the case. C says to eliminate any teams that lost to two teams, which in that case would be Houston (with losses to SMU and Memphis) and Tulane (with losses to SMU and Houston). Then you go back to A as only two teams remain, and Memphis has the edge there with the win over SMU.
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby Nacho » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:36 pm

true Memphis wins the tie breaker
Nacho

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:51 pm

SmooPower wrote:I think Memphis will actually be the winner of the division in that case. B kicks in if one team swept all the other teams they tied with, which wouldn't be the case. C says to eliminate any teams that lost to two teams, which in that case would be Houston (with losses to SMU and Memphis) and Tulane (with losses to SMU and Houston). Then you go back to A as only two teams remain, and Memphis has the edge there with the win over SMU.

"If two teams defeated the other tied teams". That would hold true if SMU and Memphis both defeated Houston AND Tulane. However, Memphis lost to Tulane, invalidating that rule. So I think D would be applied and we would win?
JasonB

Postby SmooPower » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:14 pm

JasonB wrote:
SmooPower wrote:I think Memphis will actually be the winner of the division in that case. B kicks in if one team swept all the other teams they tied with, which wouldn't be the case. C says to eliminate any teams that lost to two teams, which in that case would be Houston (with losses to SMU and Memphis) and Tulane (with losses to SMU and Houston). Then you go back to A as only two teams remain, and Memphis has the edge there with the win over SMU.

"If two teams defeated the other tied teams". That would hold true if SMU and Memphis both defeated Houston AND Tulane. However, Memphis lost to Tulane, invalidating that rule. So I think D would be applied and we would win?

I see what you are saying - I interpreted as any team having more than one loss among the pool of tied teams. Hope you are correct. :)
SmooPower
Heisman

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:18 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I would love another chance against Central Florida and certainly don't assume it would be a loss!

UCF
One Trick Pony

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm

mustangxc wrote:
Insane_Pony_Posse wrote:are you both assuming we lose the bowl game?

I'm assuming we would lose the conference championship game at UCF. Then depending on who we play in a bowl game would finish the season at best 7-7 or at worst 6-8, which to me is not a good look.

No google allowed. Tell me the final record of the 6 win bowl teams last year. Nobody pays attention to that. You want the practices, the swag, the experience of a bowl game for both fans and players, and at least a losing trophy for the trophy case. Of course we fans may cringe a little but it is just a blip in the big scheme of things. The little bowls are for fun. Only the big boys get serious.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mtrout » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:17 pm

The way I understand it we ain’t winning no tiebreaker at 6-6
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Football