PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year..Quarterback?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year..Quarterback?

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 pm

mrydel wrote:Don’t know if Ty Story is in position to graduate but he may be looking to transfer from Arkansas when the former Clemson QB transfer to UA.

How does Story help when he will need to learn an entire new offense and his WRs. Hicks with all of his issues this season is still our only alternative to be competitive and have a chance to win.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby smupony94 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:37 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Not saying Hicks is the ideal QB with the number of mistakes he keeps making, but for next year he is the only alternative that gives us a chance to win. He will have had one year learning the new system and will be on page with all of our receivers who will probably return ( Proche??).

Will be interesting when the conference schedule comes out to see if we can win six next year and get to a bowl!

I’m beyond pessimistic right now but we definitely Bowl next season
smupony94
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:40 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
mrydel wrote:Don’t know if Ty Story is in position to graduate but he may be looking to transfer from Arkansas when the former Clemson QB transfer to UA.

How does Story help when he will need to learn an entire new offense and his WRs. Hicks with all of his issues this season is still our only alternative to be competitive and have a chance to win.

You do realize Hicks will leave some day don’t you. If the QB comes back, often receivers change. Every QB has to learn receivers and routes every year. Plays do change. Playbooks are expanded. You start with talent and let them learn.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Next year..Quarterback?

Postby Treadway21 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:41 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
Treadway21 wrote:I'd rather watch Brown than that [deleted].

Then get used to more losing. Only alternative with Brown is to completely change the offense to accommodate a total running attack. Bring back the wishbone, single wing or adopt Navy's offense. This is not going to happen with the excellent number of WR commits we have for next year.

Whatever. I just watched Hicks f up the game against a 2-9 team team to cost us a bowl (no matter how bad a bowl). I won't watch another game Hicks plays.

I vowed that after his pathetic effort against NTSU and should have stuck with it.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby Digetydog » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:45 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Not saying Hicks is the ideal QB with the number of mistakes he keeps making, but for next year he is the only alternative that gives us a chance to win. He will have had one year learning the new system and will be on page with all of our receivers who will probably return ( Proche??).

I generally agree with you, but I think a grad transfer would be a great addition to the mix.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:49 pm

Digetydog wrote:

I generally agree with you, but I think a grad transfer would be a great addition to the mix.

Any grad transfer worth his salt does not transfer.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:51 pm

PoconoPony wrote:Any grad transfer worth his salt does not transfer.

Garrett Gilbert?
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby mrydel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:55 pm

There are plenty of recruits that went to P5 schools we would kill to have. And if they are not getting the playing time, get homesick, don’t fit schemes, etc, they could be great fits.

It was not a grad transfer but much the same as Troy Aikman moving from Oklahoma to UCLA when OU put in the wishbone. I think he was better than a grain of salt.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby JasonB » Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:01 pm

I expect that we will have 3 QBs ready to challenge. Upshaw will be the 4th (and might be effective as a run first QB but only if the offensive line really improves).

Let's say that Hicks does stay and then graduates next year. Even in that situation you will have Brown and nobody else with experience on the roster. That isn't a good situation for anyone.

I don't think they will bring in a GT at QB if Hicks stays - that would be awkward for everyone. But I fully expect us to bring in a JUCO so that you have three candidates competing for the starting spot.

If Hicks does, in fact, leave, then I would expect both a JUCO and a GT to be brought in.
JasonB

Postby Digetydog » Sun Nov 25, 2018 2:05 am

PoconoPony wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

Any grad transfer worth his salt does not transfer.

Like Garrett Gilbert?

Shane Buechelle lost the QB battle at Texas. Although not a great QB, he would have a great shot at beating out Hicks.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby poman » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:31 am

Maybe I am just an optimist, I am actually excited for next year. This team does not graduate many impact players, coaching staff had them in most games and could have very easily been 7-5 if not for a few plays. Dykes and his staff have SMU pointed in right direction. I predict conference champs next year. I agree that Hicks will probably not be back and maybe they bring in a transfer, but Brown will give them a total different dimension next year if he is the starter. Pony Up!
poman

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 am

Hicks doesn't need more training. The mechanics are all there and he is smart enough to learn the plays. What he needs is a good sports psychologist. 100% of his issue is that he is living in his head. I do not say this in a disparaging way whatsoever. He needs tools to keep his emotions and nerves from affecting his play and how he practices.
SMU Pom Mom
All-American

Postby Treadway21 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 11:34 am

SMU Pom Mom wrote:Hicks doesn't need more training. The mechanics are all there and he is smart enough to learn the plays. What he needs is a good sports psychologist. 100% of his issue is that he is living in his head. I do not say this in a disparaging way whatsoever. He needs tools to keep his emotions and nerves from affecting his play and how he practices.

Hope Eastern Washington provides that for him.
An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame-SMU football game and
doesn't care who wins.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
Treadway21

Postby SoCal_Pony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:41 pm

among SMU's many problems with FB, one at the top of the list for me has been our inability to recruit QBs. Over the past 30 years, trying to figure out who were the Top 5 HS recruits we signed that I was most excited about.

Only one I can think of was Chris Phillips, he had an Arkansas offer early. Ben Hicks probably makes that list as well, he had a Tech offer, but I remember thinking kid from Waco didn't have a Baylor offer. Whatever the list, it's embarrassing.

We lose, fans glamor for backup QB, truth is backup QBs at SMU are notoriously bad.

Top 5 backup QBs over past 30 years? McDermott for sure. One of those 2 JC QBs PB brought (neither was exceptionally good, but at least there were 2), Richard Bartel???
SoCal_Pony

Postby PoconoPony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:50 pm

mrydel wrote:There are plenty of recruits that went to P5 schools we would kill to have. And if they are not getting the playing time, get homesick, don’t fit schemes, etc, they could be great fits.

It was not a grad transfer but much the same as Troy Aikman moving from Oklahoma to UCLA when OU put in the wishbone. I think he was better than a grain of salt.

Big difference between a grad transfer and a kid who simply wants playing time. With some exceptions like Gilbert, we would only get one year of eligibility and that does not really help the program. A good grad transfer candidate will generally be leaving a bad program and be looking for a significant program up grade ( Russell Wilson leaving a dismal NC State for a Wisconsin program with all pieces in place ). SMU presents very little up side for any quality graduate transfer. We do not have the OL, OL depth, experience, RBs to make us worth consideration. Aikman had to sit out a year to be eligible which brings me back to Ben Hicks who is the only viable QB for our situation of transition. Hicks is not ideal, but for our situation he is a must for next season thereby giving the staff a chance to rectify the QB situation by what ever means ( recruiting, transfer, JUCO, evolution of a current roster QB ).
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football