PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year..Quarterback?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year..Quarterback?

Postby Digetydog » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:01 pm

Current Grad Transfer QB Market:

http://www.espn.com/college-football/pl ... riley-neal
https://twitter.com/pistolsguys/status/ ... 2656689152

More will come out after Spring Csmps end and they aren’t likely to be starters.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Dutch » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:39 am

Digetydog wrote:
Do hardship transfers still exist?

sure, how do you think Reggie was eligible to play this year.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Digetydog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:43 pm

Dutch wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

I thought they might have changed it for this year. Hopefully, there is a P5 backup QB who wants/needs to come back to the Metroplex.

Or a good FCS QB looking for a bigger stage.
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Tue Nov 27, 2018 2:09 pm

Digetydog wrote:
Dutch wrote:
Digetydog wrote:

I thought they might have changed it for this year. Hopefully, there is a P5 backup QB who wants/needs to come back to the Metroplex.

Or a good FCS QB looking for a bigger stage.

How does a P5 back up QB help us next year if he has to sit out the year????? You may be addressing the long term QB problem, but does nothing for us next year. I still maintain that Hicks is our most important retention for next year to facilitate the transition and remain competitive.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mtrout » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:13 pm

grad transfers can play right away plus there's other rule-magic that can be done.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby Digetydog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:37 pm

PoconoPony wrote:
How does a P5 back up QB help us next year if he has to sit out the year????? You may be addressing the long term QB problem, but does nothing for us next year. I still maintain that Hicks is our most important retention for next year to facilitate the transition and remain competitive.

How would you have liked to have had Memphis’ QB vs Hicks? He was a grad transfer from Arizona State.

Every year, there are ton of P5 junior/senior backup QBs who leave their schools as GTs looking for PT. Since they don’t have to sit out a year, they are perfect stop gap QBs.

Possible Scenarios:
1) Hicks leaves leaving the starting job wide open. Good prospects like Buechele will be very attracted to playing for Dykes.
2) Hicks stays. There are going to be graduate transfers who believe they are better than him. Hopefully, Dykes can land one who can “take” the job from Hicks.

Interesting Article: https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 743514002/

“It’s led to the near extinction of a certain type of college player: the career backup. Once a roster staple, senior quarterbacks who begin their careers on scholarship and stay with the same program through four years of eligibility without ascending to the starting role are now the sport’s rarest breed.

“It’s definitely different, there’s no doubt,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “Those guys are few and far between.”

There are only seven quarterbacks in the Football Bowl Subdivision who fit the criteria. Just two, California’s Chase Forrest and TCU’s Grayson Muehlstein, play in a Power Five conference. Forrest has attempted 28 passes across six games; Muehlstein, once a three-star recruit from Decatur, Texas, has yet to make a single attempt through his first three seasons.

Another pair, Navy’s Garret Lewis and Army’s Luke Landon, play at service academies. One of the seven senior backups is headed for the starting role in his final season: Western Kentucky’s Drew Eckles is the Hilltoppers’ projected starter heading into fall camp.”
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PoconoPony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 12:10 pm

Digetydog wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:
mrydel wrote:There are plenty of recruits that went to P5 schools we would kill to have. And if they are not getting the playing time, get homesick, don’t fit schemes, etc, they could be great fits.

It was not a grad transfer but much the same as Troy Aikman moving from Oklahoma to UCLA when OU put in the wishbone. I think he was better than a grain of salt.

Big difference between a grad transfer and a kid who simply wants playing time. With some exceptions like Gilbert, we would only get one year of eligibility and that does not really help the program. A good grad transfer candidate will generally be leaving a bad program and be looking for a significant program up grade ( Russell Wilson leaving a dismal NC State for a Wisconsin program with all pieces in place ). SMU presents very little up side for any quality graduate transfer. We do not have the OL, OL depth, experience, RBs to make us worth consideration. Aikman had to sit out a year to be eligible which brings me back to Ben Hicks who is the only viable QB for our situation of transition. Hicks is not ideal, but for our situation he is a must for next season thereby giving the staff a chance to rectify the QB situation by what ever means ( recruiting, transfer, JUCO, evolution of a current roster QB ).

Grad transfers often are guys on good teams who cannot get PT.

We have had transfers in the past several years who were 4 stars who were battling for starting positions with big programs and transferred when they lost out and they failed to compete for the SMU job.

Plus, coaching changes (UNC and Tech) can cause players to leave (voluntarily or otherwise) for greener pastures.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby ojaipony » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:39 pm

Hicks needs to go and we need a quality GT who is a good level headed game manager and accurate thrower. We also need to get up on some teams so Will Brown gets more playing time (2-3 more games) and is truly ready to take over the following 2 years (I think he is now, but what do I know).
ojaipony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby Timothythegreat » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 pm

ojaipony wrote:Hicks needs to go and we need a quality GT who is a good level headed game manager and accurate thrower. We also need to get up on some teams so Will Brown gets more playing time (2-3 more games) and is truly ready to take over the following 2 years (I think he is now, but what do I know).

Hicks isn’t going anywhere so drop it. He’s in grad school already and isn’t going to transfer or get his scholarship pulled.it seems beneath me to have to keep pointing that out.

I’m not a qb guru but I don’t think brown is ready and he will also injured last year. If he wasn’t, you would have to imagine he would have seen some PT as at least a change of pace. I think he got some really good experience that will serve him well going forward, but he definitely looked like a freshman.
Timothythegreat
Junior Varsity

Postby No Quarter » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:04 pm

Timothythegreat wrote:
ojaipony wrote:Hicks needs to go and we need a quality GT who is a good level headed game manager and accurate thrower. We also need to get up on some teams so Will Brown gets more playing time (2-3 more games) and is truly ready to take over the following 2 years (I think he is now, but what do I know).

Hicks isn’t going anywhere so drop it. He’s in grad school already and isn’t going to transfer or get his scholarship pulled.it seems beneath me to have to keep pointing that out.

I’m not a qb guru but I don’t think brown is ready and he will also injured last year. If he wasn’t, you would have to imagine he would have seen some PT as at least a change of pace. I think he got some really good experience that will serve him well going forward, but he definitely looked like a freshman.

The above seems to kinda sum it up - again. I say again because it been said before.

If we flip a big time freshman with no injuries I'm sure we'll take him and he might get PT. Ditto for a yet unnamed GT or JUCO although the result might be loosing two from next year's depth chart with result we'd be keeping on with this subject next year.

Might be better to go after a good WR who can come in and play like Quinn. Probably the coaches have thought of that also.
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby White Helmet » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:13 pm

No Quarter wrote:Might be better to go after a good WR who can come in and play like Quinn. Probably the coaches have thought of that also.

Especially if Proche decides to leave...
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:25 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
PoconoPony wrote:Not saying Hicks is the ideal QB with the number of mistakes he keeps making, but for next year he is the only alternative that gives us a chance to win. He will have had one year learning the new system and will be on page with all of our receivers who will probably return ( Proche??).

Will be interesting when the conference schedule comes out to see if we can win six next year and get to a bowl!

How about win 8 and go to a "real"(ish) bowl?
Bergermeister

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:23 pm

QB Maverick McIver (son of former UT QB Rick McIvor) just decommitted from Tech-might be a freshman who we could get-he's from San Angelo Central. I was impressed from some highlights I saw from his Junior year. Also been a standout since I believe his freshman year in high school and with his pedigree so he might be ready to hit the field earlier than your typical freshman. I think he started at maybe a 3A school as a freshman and then transferred to Central as a Sophomore
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:32 pm

Dad was sheriff out in Ft Davis did he play out there first?
RGV Pony

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm

yeah it was Fort Davis
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football