PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Next year..Quarterback?

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Next year..Quarterback?

Postby giacfsp » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:51 pm

Digetydog wrote:I get you, but
1) Most AAC teams would kill for Proche, Roberson, & Sanders. If the younger players develop in the Spring, our WRs will be a Plus unit in the Fall.

As for scholarship count, I will be surprised if Upshaw and/or Oehrlien (both on scholarship) don’t leave the program. Both are probably behind walk on Derek Green on the depth chart.

Not saying you're wrong, but a couple of questions:

1) How does Sanders make your list? Not suggesting he can't play, but the sample size is so small -- he played 4 games and caught 5 passes. Decent kickoff return guy, and I hope he's a quality receiver -- just not sure we can say that yet.
2) What makes you think Green is ahead of Upshaw? Again, not saying you're wrong -- just curious what you base that on.
giacfsp
Heisman

Postby Digetydog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:43 am

giacfsp wrote:
Digetydog wrote:I get you, but
1) Most AAC teams would kill for Proche, Roberson, & Sanders. If the younger players develop in the Spring, our WRs will be a Plus unit in the Fall.

As for scholarship count, I will be surprised if Upshaw and/or Oehrlien (both on scholarship) don’t leave the program. Both are probably behind walk on Derek Green on the depth chart.

Not saying you're wrong, but a couple of questions:

1) How does Sanders make your list? Not suggesting he can't play, but the sample size is so small -- he played 4 games and caught 5 passes. Decent kickoff return guy, and I hope he's a quality receiver -- just not sure we can say that yet.
2) What makes you think Green is ahead of Upshaw? Again, not saying you're wrong -- just curious what you base that on.

If you scout around, you will hear that Green has been pushing his way forward on the depth chart. He and Upshaw are 3a and 3b on the depth chart. With Upshaw clearly behind Brown and Gipson coming in, Upshaw has a decision to make.
Do unto others before they do unto you!!
Digetydog
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby horsemanx » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:39 pm

If we can get our quarterback situation settled for next season I will feel a lot better about our offense.
An object at rest cannot be stopped!
horsemanx
All-American

Postby JasonB » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:48 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens. They are all very different QBs. Brown has some athleticism, but doesn't run. Gipson is dual threat. Upshaw is run heavy. Green is pure pocket. I would probably rather have a dual threat than a traditional drop-back, but it is more important to have a consistent style so that our starter and our backup run the same offense.

I think Upshaw has a role, because he is such a dynamic runner. I would like to see him used in short yardage and red zone situations. I'm also not sure that he would have a lot of opportunities to transfer to a better university?

Still eager to hear about who our transfer QB will be.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Previous

Return to Football