PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Immediate Reaction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Immediate Reaction

Postby dr rc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:03 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I know a lot of people thought this was a 3-4 win season with the new staff and schedule, but the fact we just had to beat a total [deleted] team in the final game to get to a bowl and couldn't do it really is all anybody needs to know about these players.

Says more about the staff IMO.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby JasonB » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:13 am

dr rc wrote:
DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:I know a lot of people thought this was a 3-4 win season with the new staff and schedule, but the fact we just had to beat a total [deleted] team in the final game to get to a bowl and couldn't do it really is all anybody needs to know about these players.

Says a lot about the depth on the team and the ability to last a full season with physical practices.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby dr rc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:03 am

JasonB wrote:
dr rc wrote:

Says a lot about the depth on the team and the ability to last a full season with physical practices.

Sorry but losing to an awful 2-9 team with nothing to play for when you are fighting for a bowl in the last game is a staff issue. Blaming this on depth problems is a terrible excuse. Tulsa has depth problems too. One team came ready to play. The other came in an sleepwalked through most of the first half. That's on the staff.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:15 am

dr rc is correct. Just watch the first minute from Sonny, it will tell you every thing you need to know.......the truth.

https://youtu.be/xhqth9hX8jo
ALEX LIFESON

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:05 am

Well then
One Trick Pony

Postby ponypatrick » Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 am

footballdad wrote:
MV pony wrote:Tulsa had an outstanding QB: Ben Hicks. He was their most valuable player.

.......yeah, but he's gonna have all the records when he's done...... :roll:

you're right FB Dad ! I heard he was even a finalist for the "Stallion" award........what an honor that would be !!
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby ponyte » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:14 pm

After reviewing the post NTSU prediction thread, viewtopic.php?f=1&t=86218&hilit=predictions I would say we ended better than expected. Certainly better than most preseason 'experts' predicted.

Injuries were huge. An O line that had so amny injuries is difficult to overcome. So much of O line is complex team work and knowing and understanding who is helpng and how they help. Injuries at the RB hurt. No solid O line and RB puts significant pressure on the passing game.

We also had a fair share of D injuries.

Yes we faltered the last two games. One killer against Tulsa was our special teams. A fumble for a TD. Our punter made sure our D was under constant pressure and we had no chance of flipping the field. Kickoffs were not particularly effective and the FG/XP team did its share to hurt. Overall, the Special teams were probably the major reason we lost to Tulsa.

All in all a good season. We beat some teams like Navy and Houston. Played a very difficult schedule and ended up respectable in the conference.

Dykes is already looking to improve with recruiting. Get a bit more depth, talent upgrade and we could have a very nice 2019 season
ponyte

Postby ponyboy » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:31 pm

2018 was a success. Encouraging
ponyboy

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:48 pm

ponyboy wrote:2018 was a success. Encouraging

conditionally agree with you...

Find a QB that can deliver a RPO effectively.

Recruit speed.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:11 pm

And don’t forget the OL not only had injury issues, but went the full season without their coach.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby peruna81 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:18 pm

mrydel wrote:And don’t forget the OL not only had injury issues, but went the full season without their coach.

BUS still has 15 minutes of eligibility left...we're set there.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby b_caesar » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:27 pm

Have heard a rumor, but seems to be gaining some credible steam as it's been repeated to me several times in several different contexts, that a few key players decided they just weren't all that jazzed about the prospect that if they won the game, the Frisco Bowl would be the "prize" again...
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby mtrout » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:43 pm

Sorry boys. The fiesta bowl was taken.
Unless we go 1 or 2 in the conference then the Frisco Bowl is always a very real possibility.
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby gostangs » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:12 pm

The only positive thing about the Tulsa game is NOT having to go to Frisco.

That said, it was a tough way to end what was otherwise a pretty successful year on the field (relative to expectations) and a VERY successful recruiting haul assuming we can hang onto most of them.

I'll leave the QB question to the experts. Suffice to say there is considerable room for improvement. O line also is nothing but upside. our biggest weakness from last year was our biggest strength this year (LB's) after a few key transfers - so there is hope!

More Sonny and staff and an easier schedule and I think we will have a nice run next year.

I am REALLY tired of losing to Memphis though. That has got to be fixed.
gostangs

Postby peruna81 » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:21 pm

Got the Navy jinx fixed this year...Memphis was VERY beatable this year, and we smooched the pooch.

This will be an interesting team to watch next year.
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football