PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Immediate Reaction

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Immediate Reaction

Postby dr rc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:01 am

gostangs wrote:The only positive thing about the Tulsa game is NOT having to go to Frisco.

Missing out on extra practice and a chance to showcase the team one last time on TV is not a positive. That's a loser mentality.
dr rc
Varsity

Postby gostangs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:35 pm

dr rc wrote:
gostangs wrote:The only positive thing about the Tulsa game is NOT having to go to Frisco.

Missing out on extra practice and a chance to showcase the team one last time on TV is not a positive. That's a loser mentality.

Well I disagree - that bowl was no fun last year - it is not worth going to for anyone. Physically our team is limping across the goal line, so not sure what you think we would be showcasing. Recruiting is going well - we don't need another loss this year to hurt momentum.
gostangs
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby ojaipony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:12 pm

gostangs wrote:
dr rc wrote:

Well I disagree - that bowl was no fun last year - it is not worth going to for anyone. Physically our team is limping across the goal line, so not sure what you think we would be showcasing. Recruiting is going well - we don't need another loss this year to hurt momentum.

I have to agree with this. As lame and oversimplified as it may sound, I think that had something to do with our terrible start: kids were just not motivated to play in a Frisco kind of bowl. What's our path to Hawaii or a Florida bowl?
ojaipony

Postby Arkpony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:14 pm

The only good memory I have of the awful Frisco Bowl was sitting in the bar of the hotel with Mike Ford talking about the good old days (and he bought the drinks!).
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Stallion » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:18 pm

In case you didn't notice the only meaningful bowl SMU is ever likely to play in for the foreseeable future would be if we won the AAC Championship and made it into the NCAA G5 Access Bowl slot. Ft. Worth, Frisco are no different than playing FAU's home field or the Bahamas Bowl or that awful field in Tampa against some Sun Belt, CUSA or (if we're lucky) a MWC school or 6-6 P5. Our only other shot at a national recognized victory is during the regular season these days
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:27 pm

Yeah. The American bowls are terrible.

If any of the players really mailed it in because they didn't want to go to Frisco again well then [deleted] it all.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Charleston Pony » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:14 pm

FWIW, the AAC has access to bowls in Ft Worth and Birmingham that would at least provide matchups vs P5 teams
Charleston Pony

Postby ojaipony » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:42 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:FWIW, the AAC has access to bowls in Ft Worth and Birmingham that would at least provide matchups vs P5 teams

Well, that's something. And, from a players perspective, playing in Florida or Bahamas is more fun (even if it is a no name bowl). I wish we had a hawaii bowl tie in now that my sister in law lives there.
ojaipony

Postby PoconoPony » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:30 pm

Stallion wrote:In case you didn't notice the only meaningful bowl SMU is ever likely to play in for the foreseeable future would be if we won the AAC Championship and made it into the NCAA G5 Access Bowl slot. Ft. Worth, Frisco are no different than playing FAU's home field or the Bahamas Bowl or that awful field in Tampa against some Sun Belt, CUSA or (if we're lucky) a MWC school or 6-6 P5. Our only other shot at a national recognized victory is during the regular season these days

Thanks for putting into perspective the obsession on this board that any bowl game is a success. Today there are far too many meaningless bowl games that generate no interest and result in match ups in which there is no interest. The Firsco Bowl is the perfect example along with about 20 other bowls played in towns of no interest with sponsored names barely recognized. The only value is more practice time during finals.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby EastStang » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:48 pm

We also have a bowl tie in with the Military Bowl in Annapolis. Its against an ACC team. I suspect this year would be Virginia Tech, Duke or Virginia.
UNC better keep that Ram away from Peruna
EastStang

Postby Mustangsabu » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:58 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:Yeah. The American bowls are terrible.

If any of the players really mailed it in because they didn't want to go to Frisco again well then [deleted] it all.

We were not going to Frisco again. No idea who will play in that bowl but it wasn't going to be the Ponies.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby geno » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:

We were not going to Frisco again. No idea who will play in that bowl but it wasn't going to be the Ponies.

And you know that how?
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby Stallion » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:48 pm

SMU will never play in the Military Bowl because it doesn't make financial sense-that's why I didn't mention it. UH has had some decent teams that have been sent to Ft. Worth 4 times in 12 years
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby Mustangsabu » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:26 pm

geno wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:

And you know that how?

I handle some of the legal work for the Frisco Bowl, was talking with the director.
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:04 pm

Mustangsabu wrote:
geno wrote:
Mustangsabu wrote:We were not going to Frisco again. No idea who will play in that bowl but it wasn't going to be the Ponies.

And you know that how?

I handle some of the legal work for the Frisco Bowl, was talking with the director.

That's a shame! I thought it would be kinda cool if we made Frisco "our" bowl.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Previous

Return to Football