PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Will Brown

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Will Brown

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:57 am

Can someone please tell me why Will Brown is not our Starting QB? I understand that he was injured a few weeks ago. What was the injury? I understand that Will Brown only played a limited amount of games. Is Will Brown able to Redshirt this season because the limited amout of games? Sure seemed like Will Brown was much more accurate when he played. Will Brown gave our team a chance to win. Maybe his mechanics could be improved, but the guy is a True Freshman. That is what coaching is for right? Give Will Brown time and experience and he will improve. Made no sense to me why Will Brown did not play the last half of the season. Yes he played one whole play a few games ago, but let's be serious, Will Brown did not get a chance to play after the few games he got a chance. Is Will in the doghouse for something he did off the field? Just does not make any sense why he did not play over HIcks.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Re: Will Brown

Postby JasonB » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:26 am

Brown got banged up, which really impacted his accuracy against Navy and UCF. Hicks came in and did really well for several games, throwing for over 300 in most of them.

At that point, I think you are riding Hicks out, despite his struggles in the last two games.
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby MV pony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:55 am

Ride Hicks out and always expect a loss. Then a win will be a pleasant surprise.
MV pony
All-American

Postby Wild Mustang » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:16 pm

I cannot imagine just how many records a legit QB could set at SMU. TV annonucers and ponyfans.com experts continue to point to how many passing records Hicks has set at SMU. Who cares? SMU should care about wins.

Hicks is beyond a joke. I do not care if Hicks passes for 300+ yards, continues to miss open receivers, continues to throw interceptions, takes ridiculous 20+ yard sacks. The guy is not a D1 QB, never has been. I do not get it. Hicks would not start for any other team in the American Conference.

Imagine a day when Ben Hicks loses his scholarship. Imagine a day when Ben Hicks has graduated (not too far off).
Ben Hicks cost us a Bowl Game this year. How much money does a Bowl Game cost SMU?

Imagine a day when Will Brown gets the chance to be the QB at SMU. How many records could Will Brown set at SMU. My hope is that day is next season.
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby footballdad » Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:27 pm

Wild Mustang wrote:I cannot imagine just how many records a legit QB could set at SMU. TV annonucers and ponyfans.com experts continue to point to how many passing records Hicks has set at SMU. Who cares? SMU should care about wins.

Hicks is beyond a joke. I do not care if Hicks passes for 300+ yards, continues to miss open receivers, continues to throw interceptions, takes ridiculous 20+ yard sacks. The guy is not a D1 QB, never has been. I do not get it. Hicks would not start for any other team in the American Conference.

Imagine a day when Ben Hicks loses his scholarship. Imagine a day when Ben Hicks has graduated (not too far off).
Ben Hicks cost us a Bowl Game this year. How much money does a Bowl Game cost SMU?

Imagine a day when Will Brown gets the chance to be the QB at SMU. How many records could Will Brown set at SMU. My hope is that day is next season.

Stallion started the 'Hicks has all the records, so he must be good' nonsense........ :lol:
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:29 pm

Wild Mustang said, in part:

[quote=

/quote]

Just what are the economics of a bowl game for SMU, save only the closest / smallest?

That is, what's the payoff after transportation and lodging?
No Quarter
Heisman

Postby Arkpony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:45 pm

I think we lose money on bowl games.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:46 pm

If I recall, the the bowl money from the AAC bowls is split evenly among the members. Conference pays the expenses.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby mrydel » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Arkpony wrote:I think we lose money on bowl games.

We would if we exceeded the expense allotment I assume. Such as band and cheer travel to Hawaii if we footed that.
mrydel

Postby Arkpony » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:49 pm

mrydel wrote:If I recall, the the bowl money from the AAC bowls is split evenly among the members. Conference pays the expenses.

I was remembering the first Hawaii Bowl when we took the band, cheerleaders etc. I was thinking we went in the hole for that pleasure.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby Wild Mustang » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:55 am

I recognize that Will Brown only played in a few games and had a limited amount of snaps. Can anyone tell me if this season will be counted against Will Brown's years of eligibility? Can Will Brown be redshirted this season? In other words, how many years of eligibility does Will Brown have after this season?
Wild Mustang
Junior Varsity

Postby mrydel » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:30 am

mrydel

Postby PoconoPony » Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Arkpony wrote:
mrydel wrote:If I recall, the the bowl money from the AAC bowls is split evenly among the members. Conference pays the expenses.

I was remembering the first Hawaii Bowl when we took the band, cheerleaders etc. I was thinking we went in the hole for that pleasure.

I have always questioned that adventure and could never find an answer as to how much we made from the game vs. the money spent to bring everyone to include school administrators. My rough guess is that we spent roughly 1 million more than we ultimately received after AAC splits etc.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Return to Football