PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

I guess it was 30 something years ago

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

I guess it was 30 something years ago

Postby Glenn Sosbee » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I think they called it the death penalty. Ever since then, I have evolved into a “thrill of the chase” kind of fan. I have accepted this fate and continue to be more and more thrilled as the years go by.
Thank you NCAA for the ride of a lifetime. Literally.

Go Ponies! I love saying that.
Pony P-1
Glenn Sosbee
All-American

Re: I guess it was 30 something years ago

Postby Stallion » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 pm

1989 to 2008 was more like the Bataan Death March
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mtrout » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:13 pm

Stallion wrote:1989 to 2008 was more like the Bataan Death March

At least with the Bataan Death march MacArthur tried to make up for it.

Can you imagine if RGT held a press conference and gave a speech like this declaring that

"the hour of your redemption is here. i now call upon your supreme effort, that the NCAA may know, from the temper of an aroused and outraged fan base that we are a force to contend with..."

Actually I think we tried that with the era of the COC, JJ, IPF v1, Big East, and Larry Brown...then eventually just fired everyone involved because they tried way too hard for a period of time.

mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby No Quarter » Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:13 pm

mtrout wrote:
Stallion wrote:1989 to 2008 was more like the Bataan Death March

At least with the Bataan Death march MacArthur tried to make up for it.

Can you imagine if RGT held a press conference and gave a speech like this declaring that

"the hour of your redemption is here. i now call upon your supreme effort, that the NCAA may know, from the temper of an aroused and outraged fan base that we are a force to contend with..."

Actually I think we tried that with the era of the COC, JJ, IPF v1, Big East, and Larry Brown...then eventually just fired everyone involved because they tried way too hard for a period of time.

A long time ago Michigan State had a bad year and Duffy Daugherty complained and poor mouthed so much that Sports Illustrated commented, more or less, that Winston Churchill had presided over the dissolution of the British Empire with more aplomb.

I have been, am, and will be an SMU fan until the end of my days, but to compare the Bataan Death March and the end of football one at SMU is dreadful hyperbole.
No Quarter
Heisman

Return to Football