PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Not this year or next, but...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Not this year or next, but...

Postby No Quarter » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:10 pm

It has been mentioned elsewhere on this board and of course Stallion's repeated comment about eliminating kick offs is related. SMU fans also know that Forest Gregg is affected and PONYFAN faithful know that some of our number feel the consequences. It is about the health effects of playing football.

The article is about Cali, but the concerns are nation wide.

I'm a fan only. Not a former player. I know that the latter are best placed to comment.

The Fight Over the Future of Football Has Become a Battle for California’s Soul

California has long been known as a hotbed of football talent. Yet as research into the game’s dangers has spread, politicians, advocates, and parents have clashed over how to protect youth, high school, and college athletes. What happens to a state intractably divided by sport?

By Michael Weinreb Jan 22, 2019, 9:08am EST

GO TO THE FOLLOWING FOR THE ARTICLE:

https://www.theringer.com/features/2019 ... e-politics
No Quarter
Heisman

Re: Not this year or next, but...

Postby BUS » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Thank you for the article. Good read and sets the table for how some places are changing. I know a lot of people that love football. What football teaches is to how to get knocked down and get back up and keep going. Not for a snowflake.
I would like to see some new rules to make it even safer like moving up the kickoff to the 50. Don't take it out of the game as you might need that onside kick to win a game.
America has become a softer place. We have forgotten how hard our parents and grandparents fought to keep us, free, strong and self reliant.
No hate for anyone but history has many examples of a nation going soft.
God's Peace.
Last edited by BUS on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby NavyCrimson » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:43 pm

Well said, Bus
BRING BACK THE GLORY DAYS OF SMU FOOTBALL!!!

For some strange reason, one of the few universities that REFUSE to use their school colors: Harvard Crimson & Yale Blue.
NavyCrimson
PonyFans.com Legend

Location: Simi Valley-CA (Hm of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library)

Postby JoeKidd » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:59 pm

Yep, sounds about right for California. I have been wondering when we were going to move them in a trade deal along with Washington and Oregon to Canada in exchange for Alberta. We should make this deal happen now before every viable company has left their state.

As for CTE and football. Everyone's physiological make-up is different and everyone should be cognizant of how head-on-head collisions make them feel, i.e. take personal responsibility for your life. If you look at the low number of people affected vs. the total number that play again it is safer than driving on any LA highway. In addition to individuals physiological make-up there are also other non-measured factors in these CTE studies, e.g pre-disposition/family history to other mental disorders, the amount of hard drugs and boozed consumed during career, the amount of PED's consumed, other personal habits that affect mental well-being.

Personally I can't wait to watch my boys suit up (if football ends up being their chosen sport) and go knock heads on a Friday night and hopefully Saturday afternoon. Its already distressing to me that both at the high school and college level we have gotten rid of 2-a-days....that was character building to the Nth degree.
#In Jank We Trust
#In Sonny We Believe
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby Mustangsabu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:18 pm

It’s not hard for me to understand that the forces exerted on the body by football are unnatural and unlikely to be beneficial in the long run. Beyond CTE there are many ex football players afflicted with physical limitations later in life. What is needed are studies, more research, and we need to heed the results.

Football is going to change. A lot. But we will find other things to teach our children hard work and effort. It’s just a game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mustangs Abu!
Mustangsabu
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:48 pm

Its not about players going soft-that's a bunch of nonsense-its about people fully understanding the repercussions of CTE and other injuries on their future. A lot of the tough guys from the past are now permanently disabled physically and/or mentally and the NFL and others concealed that information despite conclusive evidence for decades. The game will and must change to survive legal, medical and participation issues. Do you really want to see a kicker launch the ball into the end zone 10 times just so you can see an onsides kick twice a year? The kickoff is the worst play in College football with about 60% of the kicks ending in a touchback or penalty
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby malonish » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:51 am

So many hall of famers and legends say that if they knew then what they knew now they would not do it again and that their kids will not be doing it. Time to drop the snowflake business unless you want to call your heroes snowflakes then go for it.
Leader of the Band-itos.

Mustangsabu wrote:
Malonish! You are the man!

PonyPride:
I think malonish is right

peruna81:
God bless you, malonish.

malonish
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby leopold » Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:59 am

Anybody who thinks this is about snowflakes hasn't been paying attention to the changes in the game and players over the past half-century.

Bear Bryant won his first national championship in 1961 with one player - ONE - over 200 lbs. That's not even a junior high team nowadays, to say nothing about changes in speed as well. The basic physics of the game have changed, dramatically. Our grandfathers may have fought hard and all that but they would be taking their lives into their own hands if they walked onto a football field nowadays.

Do some research, make some changes to the game and ensure you keep it around. The basic, ever present physicality and viciousness of the sport isn't going anywhere if you do it right. No need to throw it in the trashcan over what could be some simple, common-sense changes.
"This year is next year for that roster." - Anonymous AAC Coach.
leopold
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby SMU Pom Mom » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:13 am

I was watching Dr. Phil (don't judge) and he had a couple on in which the husband had rage issues to the point where the wife would hide from him and her grown daughters were afraid to visit. She had recordings of him going completely ballistic for no reason. It was terrifying. In between episodes, he was a nice guy, smart and successful. It turns out that he has CTE from playing football as a kid 40 years ago. His brain was so damaged he was no longer himself.

Can you say OJ?
SMU Pom Mom
Junior Varsity

Postby JoeKidd » Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:43 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:I was watching Dr. Phil (don't judge) and he had a couple on in which the husband had rage issues to the point where the wife would hide from him and her grown daughters were afraid to visit. She had recordings of him going completely ballistic for no reason. It was terrifying. In between episodes, he was a nice guy, smart and successful. It turns out that he has CTE from playing football as a kid 40 years ago. His brain was so damaged he was no longer himself.

Can you say OJ?

I again don't buy that someone that plays football only through high school can have his brain altered to where it never repairs itself. Again there are a ton of other factors, physical and chemical that have nothing to do with football that go into who has/is likely to get CTE and the vast majority of players even at the NFL level that never have any effects.

Agreed, common sense rules to protect players and the sport are fine, but if you wanted to start somewhere start with artificial fields, in which 40% of concussions come from the impact of a players head with the artificial surface. While Field-Turf is much better than the old Astro-Turf (I played on both) it is still 10 times harder than a natural soil/grass field. Leg injuries are also less likely to occur and at a less traumatic level. Let me see the NFL, owners and college admin/coaches start there and then I'll be more receptive to other changes. Btw speed is also increased on artificial fields, but the small cost of their install/maintenance is why everyone has gone to them.
#In Jank We Trust
#In Sonny We Believe
JoeKidd
Heisman

Postby PoconoPony » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:20 pm

Science is also identifying some unusual concussion issues. For example, they have now defined secondary concussion syndrome as a huge problem and not well identified. Simplistically, this syndrome is the cumulative effect of 2 concussions neither of which is either detected or considered serious. A kid can be playing Pop Warner League football and suffer an apparently minor or border line concussion. Several months/even a year later if he suffers a similar lesser concussion the combined result of the 2 concussions can accumulate and be extremely serious and have huge consequences. The cumulative effect can be far more serious than that of an immediately identified serious/obvious concussion. What is not known is exactly why 2 lesser concussions accumulated months apart can be so damaging and serious and why the brain is so affected. This condition only occurs in kids 21 years of age and younger. This syndrome is not detected after age 21 in what might be considered an adult brain. Football, wrestling and soccer are the most prevalent sports for this syndrome. This is the type of situation that troubles parents.
PoconoPony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby peruna81 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:14 pm

BUS wrote:Thank you for the article. Good read and sets the table for how some places are changing. I know a lot of people that love football. What football teaches is to how to get knocked down and get back up and keep going. Not for a snowflake.
I would like to see some new rules to make it even safer like moving up the kickoff to the 50. Don't take it out of the game as you might need that onside kick to win a game.
America has become a softer place. We have forgotten how hard our parents and grandparents fought to keep us, free, strong and self reliant.
God's Peace.

Aye on the above...every word of it...
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
Hall of Famer

Postby footballdad » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:50 pm

peruna81 wrote:
BUS wrote:Thank you for the article. Good read and sets the table for how some places are changing. I know a lot of people that love football. What football teaches is to how to get knocked down and get back up and keep going. Not for a snowflake.
God's Peace.

Aye on the above...every word of it...

"America has become a softer place."...........100%
footballdad
Hall of Famer

Postby mtrout » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm

Indeed. Can you imagine what would happen if the World War 2 draft lottery was today?
mtrout
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:58 pm

mtrout wrote:Indeed. Can you imagine what would happen if the World War 2 draft lottery was today?

Ja.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Next

Return to Football