PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Not this year or next, but...

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Not this year or next, but...

Postby JasonB » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:29 am

mtrout wrote:Indeed. Can you imagine what would happen if the World War 2 draft lottery was today?

Yes. The two political parties would fight over who the bad guy really was as one side would promote the propaganda against immigrants and the populist agenda and degrade Nato. There would be no draft because we wouldn't be able to decide who to go to war against. There would never be enough consensus to go to war.

:)
JasonB
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:08 am

JasonB wrote: There would never be enough consensus to go to war.

and meanwhile our country would be overrun with invaders whose intent is to destroy it.
redpony

Postby PonySnob » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:11 pm

redpony wrote:and meanwhile our country would be overrun with invaders whose intent is to destroy it.

Happening as we write on this board
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby redpony » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:14 pm

amen to that!!
redpony

Postby ponyup123456 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:33 pm

If there was a legitimate global threat like the Nazis I would bet there would be plenty of young people volunteering. Instead, we seem to be fighting an endless, faceless war for nearly my entire life(20 years).

Back to football, the Ivy League's new kickoff policy seems to be effective. https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... sion-rates

Another problem is terrible tackling form. Some of our DBs (and across the country) dive and hit with their heads and getting hurt. Seattle's tackling techniques work and are much safer.
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2017/5/20/15 ... otball-nfl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1etzT-Cgho
ponyup123456

Postby BUS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:00 pm

Thank you 123456.
Just a few tweaks and we can make things Big League better!

Politics is not what it used to be. It is down to Satan and good works. Please explain something to me.
What is a fourth Trimester?
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:38 pm

PonySnob wrote:
redpony wrote:and meanwhile our country would be overrun with invaders whose intent is to destroy it.

Happening as we write on this board

They come up in caravans...
#MoodySadness #SaveMoody #FireJank
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer

Postby geno » Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:40 pm

Meanwhile, we are now in our 17th year of our war in Afghanistan, with no good results in sight. We have spent nearly one trillion (that's TRILLION) dollars in that struggle overt there. And no president has had the sense to call it off, not even the omniscient Obama. He actually increased the numberer of our troops there. What did the guy say in Bridge over the River Kai? Madness! Madness!
geno
Junior Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:35 pm

geno wrote:Meanwhile, we are now in our 17th year of our war in Afghanistan, with no good results in sight. We have spent nearly one trillion (that's TRILLION) dollars in that struggle overt there. And no president has had the sense to call it off, not even the omniscient Obama. He actually increased the numberer of our troops there. What did the guy say in Bridge over the River Kai? Madness! Madness!

There hasn't been a war since Korea that we should have been involved in.
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:01 am

ponypatrick wrote:There hasn't been a war since Korea that we should have been involved in.

ponypatrick I agree....ENOUGH of the constant war BOTH parties push. We need to take care of our elderly, our vets, our nursing homes, our schools, our roads, our truly needy...ya know...America First.... before spending billions in hell-holes like Syria and Afghanistan
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PerunaPunch » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:50 am

JoeKidd wrote:
SMU Pom Mom wrote:I was watching Dr. Phil (don't judge) and he had a couple on in which the husband had rage issues to the point where the wife would hide from him and her grown daughters were afraid to visit. She had recordings of him going completely ballistic for no reason. It was terrifying. In between episodes, he was a nice guy, smart and successful. It turns out that he has CTE from playing football as a kid 40 years ago. His brain was so damaged he was no longer himself.

Can you say OJ?

I again don't buy that someone that plays football only through high school can have his brain altered to where it never repairs itself.

This is not actually correct. The brain is an organ that can "scar", and over time will become more susceptible to CTE and other issues with repeated trauma. The only advantage to being young is having more years for the brain to retrain itself to work around permanent injuries.

Participating in any sport is more "dangerous" than, say, hiding in your closet. So weigh the risks and make a choice based on acceptable risk. FWIW, my wife is a neuropsychologist, and per capita, she sees more kids with these kinds on issues from lacrosse than from football. She also sees a fair bit from soccer (heading the ball or kids banging heads).

Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with my kids (if I had any) playing football. Being more knowledgeable than we were years ago when I was playing, the big difference in how I would (potentially) deal with this kind of issue is how long I would pull my kids out after a significant occurrence.
"Anyone who had followed June Jones, who knew how he built his program and what he thought of SMU's program should have known this was really a silly waste of time. Can we now get on with hiring a Head Coach...?" -- Stallion, December 25, 2007 11:38 pm
PerunaPunch
Hall of Famer

Postby mr. pony » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:40 pm

SMU Pom Mom wrote:I was watching Dr. Phil (don't judge) and he had a couple on in which the husband had rage issues to the point where the wife would hide from him and her grown daughters were afraid to visit. She had recordings of him going completely ballistic for no reason. It was terrifying. In between episodes, he was a nice guy, smart and successful. It turns out that he has CTE from playing football as a kid 40 years ago. His brain was so damaged he was no longer himself.

Can you say OJ?

The Dr. Phil guy HAS CTE?
CTE cannot be diagnosed until after death.

And OJ????
Give it a rest.
The man is a murderer.
Last edited by mr. pony on Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby mr. pony » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:47 am

If you want to talk head injuries, let’s talk soccer.
mr. pony
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:27 am

Or little kids with no helmet bike injures
One Trick Pony

Postby PonyTime » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Or college kids riding T-Bird scooters in traffic with no helmets...
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Football