PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2019 schedule announced

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:27 pm

Actually not a bad schedule considering where our program is right now. ASU, UNT and TX State give us hope that these could be winnable games and we know UNT will bring a fan following. I expect TX State will bring more than most of our conference mates.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 18871
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:24 am

Pony ^ wrote:
SMU Football Blog wrote:
Pony ^ wrote:Surely we can get 7 wins with that schedule...incredibly weak


Am I wrong or is there a total of 2 games against teams that either (a) sub-500 in 2018; or (b) SMU e beat them the last time they played?

Either way, doesn't change the fact that it's an incredibly weak schedule (for most teams).
Just glad we don't have the OOC we used to have with Baylor, Aggy, TCU


I would love that OOC schedule and feel like we aren’t some D2 school.
#MoodySadness #SaveMoody #FireJank
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby redpony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:43 am

alum 11- agree. I think we could play baylor(rape U) and TCU next year and be very competitive- assuming
SD continues to recruit well and build our team. Plus there would be a lot fewer empty seats in Ford as both of these teams would have a lot of people there.
If you want to earn a reputation you need to get off of the porch and run with the big dogs.
redpony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Tue Jan 01, 2008 8:44 am
Location: on the beach,northern Peru

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby AusTxPony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:17 am

I totally support keeping NTU and TCU on the schedule. I would hope we are optimistically (because of Dykes recruiting) working to get Baylor (another natural rival) or Arkansas on the future schedules for better attendance figures. Then keep one "sure" win team on OOC schedule. That is good to get more kids in a live game. The benefit of the new redshirt rules.
AusTxPony
Heisman
 
Posts: 1832
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2001 3:01 am
Location: Austin, Tx, USA

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:03 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I totally support keeping NTU and TCU on the schedule. I would hope we are optimistically (because of Dykes recruiting) working to get Baylor (another natural rival) or Arkansas on the future schedules for better attendance figures. Then keep one "sure" win team on OOC schedule. That is good to get more kids in a live game. The benefit of the new redshirt rules.


I think we need to develop the expectation that TCU isn't renewing with us. TCU only has next season with us and they're technically over. I'm not an insider so maybe they're just waiting on something (AAC new tv deal, how we perform next year, what's our schedule look like, etc.) but I would expect they're going to take a break from us for a year or 2. They might even force us into 2-1 home/away thing rather than home and home.

Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day.
#MoodySadness #SaveMoody #FireJank
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby ericdickerson4life » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:12 pm

"Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day."

This is the way TCU, Baylor, etc. all think of SMU. What benefit does it bring them to play us?

I'd rather play Rice than NTCC as well.
User avatar
ericdickerson4life
Heisman
 
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 9:48 am

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 1:21 pm

North Texas means more butts in seats and local interest. Otherwise I agree. Lots of history with Rice
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12217
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby CA Mustang » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:03 pm

SMU Football Blog wrote:Am I wrong or is there a total of 2 games against teams that either (a) sub-500 in 2018; or (b) SMU e beat them the last time they played?

Not sure I understand the quote exactly, but ECU, Texas State and Tulsa were below .500 in 2018. Navy, Tulane and UH were teams SMU beat in 2018.

redpony wrote:alum 11- agree. I think we could play baylor(rape U) and TCU next year and be very competitive- assuming SD continues to recruit well and build our team. Plus there would be a lot fewer empty seats in Ford as both of these teams would have a lot of people there.


If you want to play those former SWC mates, need to start making phone calls soon. SMU has plenty of open dates to fill in upcoming years, but no big names are signed. https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/smu/
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2068
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:01 am
Location: Spring, TX

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 2:07 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:"Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day."

This is the way TCU, Baylor, etc. all think of SMU. What benefit does it bring them to play us?

I'd rather play Rice than NTCC as well.


You're right in that we don't bring anything to the table. Hell I'll take 3-1 split playing on the road just in the chance that we can get a big time win. We will never get on their list if we continue to schedule cupcakes. Even if a cupcake has a good year, it still doesn't have name recognition. If we had beaten Michigan on the road, I think you would see TCU renewing us.
#MoodySadness #SaveMoody #FireJank
SMU_Alum11
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:55 am

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby PonySnob » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:48 pm

ericdickerson4life wrote:"Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day."

This is the way TCU, Baylor, etc. all think of SMU. What benefit does it bring them to play us?

I'd rather play Rice than NTCC as well.


Would probably guarantee an even smaller crowd at Ford.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Peruna is my mascot!
User avatar
PonySnob
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 10984
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:01 am
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:54 pm

PonySnob wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:"Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day."

This is the way TCU, Baylor, etc. all think of SMU. What benefit does it bring them to play us?

I'd rather play Rice than NTCC as well.


Would probably guarantee an even smaller crowd at Ford.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


History suggests that is the case. Rice has drawn some of our worst crowds over the years.
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 18871
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby footballdad » Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:45 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:
PonySnob wrote:
ericdickerson4life wrote:"Personally I hate playing NTCC. I figure it's one of those games where beating them is "as expected" and losing is an embarrassment. I personally have no feeling toward like i do with TCU, Baylor, Aggs, Texas, Tech essentially SWC rivals. If we are looking for a team we can beat, I would rather schedule with Rice well over NTCC any day."

This is the way TCU, Baylor, etc. all think of SMU. What benefit does it bring them to play us?

I'd rather play Rice than NTCC as well.


Would probably guarantee an even smaller crowd at Ford.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk


History suggests that is the case. Rice has drawn some of our worst crowds over the years.


I'm not sure SMU football attendance can be considered a 'crowd'.
footballdad
Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 2326
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby Charleston Pony » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:15 pm

footballdad wrote:I'm not sure SMU football attendance can be considered a 'crowd'.


You haven't heard the expression "two is company, three is a crowd"?
Charleston Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 18871
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2000 3:01 am
Location: Stonebridge Golf Club, NC

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby ponyboy » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:37 pm

And four is kinda weird helicopter dad?
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend
 
Posts: 12217
Joined: Wed Mar 22, 2000 4:01 am
Location: University Park,TX US

Re: 2019 schedule announced

Postby Jackets N Pones » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:40 pm

Bring back the Mayor's cup!
Spirits the best in the land
And right to the end we'll stand
For the M-U-S-T-A-N-G-S
FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!
User avatar
Jackets N Pones
Junior Varsity
 
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:47 pm
Location: Shamrock Shores

Previous

Return to Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests