PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Boulevard changing

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Boulevard changing

Postby mtrout » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:25 pm

You can literally walk to the stadium from anywhere on campus within minutes... won’t make any difference. Hey aiden we’re 90seconds closer to the stadium. We should become fans now!
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Postby SMU_Alum11 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Maybe it's a conspiracy: they decided they want to end sports all together and so they started with basketball via re-seat. Fired LB and kept Tank as the ships captain to drive attendance to an all-time low. They are now going after the Boulevard since well football is dead from an attendance perspective anyways. Once they get the boulevard, the shock of closing sports would be minimal. Haha, just a conspiracy theory.
Insert "this is fine" GIF
SMU_Alum11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:31 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:
ponydawg wrote:
The scenery on the main part of the boulevard will certainly go down now.

I didn't even think about that part. Now I'm really pissed. Bunch of idiots running the show
Pony ^
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyTime » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:47 pm

ponydawg wrote:I'm guessing this has nothing to do with getting them closer to the stadium and more about aquiring grass area to rent to alumni for more money. All about real estate.

They've killed the atmosphere in Moody and now they are going after the BLVD.

I think you are absolutely right. There is some angle where SMU thinks that they can make more $$ off that area in the short term and they could care less about the long term impacts.

I'm not even sure that the sorority girls that live on the north end of campus can make it all of the way down to the new area in the shoes and outfits that they wear. They may have to uber across campus.
"Moral Victories Make Me Sick" - TR

PonyTime
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby CA Mustang » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:51 pm

Charleston Pony wrote:...in the same scenario today (beating TCU and then having UCF come to town), we would see a much better crowd...possibly as many as 25k because both those teams are pretty well known

TCU wasn't well known then? Really?

Pony ^ wrote:It starts and ends with a winning product and big brands coming to Ford. It's that simple.

No argument that winning helps, but the "big brands" claim isn't based in the reality of present-day NCAA scheduling. Which "big brands" are pining to play at Ford? So if you don't see the likes of Texas Tech, Florida State and Washington on the home schedule it doesn't matter? If so, people really need to be educated on the reality of OOC scheduling for both P5 and G5 schools.
CA Mustang
Hall of Famer

Postby Pony ^ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:17 pm

PonyTime wrote:
ponydawg wrote:I'm guessing this has nothing to do with getting them closer to the stadium and more about aquiring grass area to rent to alumni for more money. All about real estate.

They've killed the atmosphere in Moody and now they are going after the BLVD.

I think you are absolutely right. There is some angle where SMU thinks that they can make more $$ off that area in the short term and they could care less about the long term impacts.

I'm not even sure that the sorority girls that live on the north end of campus can make it all of the way down to the new area in the shoes and outfits that they wear. They may have to uber across campus.

They already charge fraternities an astronomical number per game to have a tent/serve beer. Thousands. Surprised they haven't forced sororities to have their own tents also to double their money
Pony ^

Postby Charleston Pony » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 pm

CA Mustang wrote:
Charleston Pony wrote:...in the same scenario today (beating TCU and then having UCF come to town), we would see a much better crowd...possibly as many as 25k because both those teams are pretty well known

TCU wasn't well known then? Really?

Comment wasn't about TCU. It was about the poor turnout for UCF after having beaten TCU. Point is that beating TCU is always big and should get people interested but NOW most people are familiar with UCF unlike back in the JJ years
Charleston Pony

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:31 pm

They wouldn't come to the Stables.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby FriscoPMG » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:46 pm

If they're seriously considering moving it that close to the stadium then is it feasible to actually connect that area to the stadium? At least compromise by letting the students go back out to their tents to get another beer and then allowing re-entry. Sure, you lose some precious beer sales inside of Ford, but if the goal is to get more students in the stadium then it's worth it.
Otherwise it's hard to fathom squeezing all the students into that small space when they're used to the main quad.
FriscoPMG
All-American

Postby edwa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:29 pm

As a current student i know our senate is working really hard for this not to happen. The boulevard isnt just a party and great time, its a massive recuitment tool for SMU, i know quite a few people who decided to come to the school because of it. My favourite part is the the new dorms are right by the stadium, all my friends would walk from the boulevard past the stadium and into their dorm instead of going into the stadium. Movingt he boulevard wont change a damn thing for attendance.
edwa
Junior Varsity

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:31 pm

SMU_Alum11 wrote:Maybe it's a conspiracy: they decided they want to end sports all together and so they started with basketball via re-seat. Fired LB and kept Tank as the ships captain to drive attendance to an all-time low. They are now going after the Boulevard since well football is dead from an attendance perspective anyways. Once they get the boulevard, the shock of closing sports would be minimal. Haha, just a conspiracy theory.

There actually might be something here...
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby ponyboy » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:38 pm

I think it's a horrible idea. I get so tired of people who think you have to attempt to solve every problem -- rarely improves anything. Usually makes things worse.

So instead of the classic scene with Dallas Hall and co-eds milling about on the grass, these kids get fake brick. What's going to happen is fewer kids even tailgate. I bet attendance remains the same.
ponyboy

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:59 pm

ponyboy wrote:I bet attendance remains the same.

Will be simple to analyze since you can easily count the students in The Stables.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Insane_Pony_Posse » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:20 pm

DanFreibergerForHeisman wrote:The Stables.

another FAIL
C-ya @ Milos!
Insane_Pony_Posse
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby PonySnob » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:27 pm

Why is SMU always hell bent on ruining something that works?
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

PreviousNext

Return to Football