PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

James McCarthy

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

James McCarthy

Postby Horseshoe » Sun Jul 23, 2000 6:37 pm

Nice story on James McCarthy (link on the PonyFans.com home page). I had no idea he was that big, and it's good to see him (and the other linemen) receive credit for the success Rodnick Phillips and Kris Briggs had last year. Now, with another year under the belts of McCarthy and the other linemen, Kris Briggs is due for a huge season!
Horseshoe
All-American

Re: James McCarthy

Postby 91Stang » Sun Jul 23, 2000 7:52 pm

Good story. I like McCarthy. But I still think Kevin Gober will be the heart of the offensive line.
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Postby GrapevineMustang » Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:00 pm

No way - McCarthy's the man. He was great at Grapevine, and he's great at SMU.
GrapevineMustang
All-American

Postby BUS » Mon Jul 24, 2000 10:12 am

I also liked hearing about the big o-linemen. My desire is that we add 5 more through recruiting this year.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby HorsePower » Mon Jul 24, 2000 10:43 am

BUS - where have you been?

I agree .... at least five more, and four or five on the defensive line. And let's get SIZE! In the past, we've found some kids (Keith Chiles, Trey Cowan, Jason Holz) who have been pushing 300 pounds when we got them. Grab four or five like that, and we can teach them. If two of them turn out to be big-time players, we've done well.

Also, I realize that in Coach Henderson's interview with PonyFans.com, he said he'd prefer quickness over size in defensive linemen -- but let's get him a couple of real horses to throw up front and see how they do with the quick guys like Aldridge and Pratt coming off the corner.

Size is the key in recruiting this year!
HorsePower
Heisman

Postby PonyGirl » Thu Jul 27, 2000 3:01 pm

I feel good about the offensive line. McCarthy and Gober are strong at the guards, and Joey Slaten is a big, strong guy who seems pretty mobile. The line should be strong this year.

Only question: What kind of depth do we have on the line?
PonyGirl
Varsity

Postby SMUPonyFan » Thu Jul 27, 2000 6:53 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PonyGirl:
<B>Only question: What kind of depth do we have on the line?</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am afraid to say that the O-line does not look that deep. I have heard that Murphy is injured, will he be back for the season? Hopefully the rest of the line will stay injury free. There are some good back-ups, but if injuries arise, we might be in trouble.

------------------
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
Go Red, Go Blue, Go Mustangs, S M U
SMUPonyFan
Varsity

Postby 91Stang » Fri Jul 28, 2000 1:30 pm

From what I hear from a friend who's still in Dallas (and knows a lot of players), Danny Murphy is out, and nobody is really sure how long. He says the team is planning for the season as if he won't play, which is a shame, because he showed a lot of promise. Let's hope he has a quick recovery.

One of the preseason magazines (which admitttedly are often inaccurate) quoted Cavan as saying he expects Sterling Harris to claim a starting spot on the line before the season's over. ANyone know if that's really true, or is it just a bad rumor?
HOCKEY'S BACK!
91Stang
Varsity

Return to Football