PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Spring game moved to Friday

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Spring game moved to Friday

Postby PK » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:03 pm

I enjoyed the experience. In fact I liked it better than sitting in the stands. Felt much more involved. Also liked how at the end, the players went single file around the field thanking people for coming to the event. Good job SMU.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby AusTxPony » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:10 am

I found NO coverage by the DMN of the Spring Game, or did I miss it?
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby PK » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:56 pm

AusTxPony wrote:I found NO coverage by the DMN of the Spring Game, or did I miss it?

There was NONE.
SMU's first president, Robert S. Hyer, selected Harvard Crimson and Yale Blue as SMU's colors to symbolize SMU's high academic standards. We are one of the few Universities to have school colors with real meaning...and we just blow them off.
PK

Postby One Trick Pony » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:58 pm

Do you blame them
One Trick Pony

Postby HubbaHubba » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:21 pm

One Trick Pony wrote:Do you blame them

Of course I blame them. They are the home town media. Why did they cover friggin ut and the gaggies? Without local media who knows about SMU and who cares. DMN would love it if we closed the athletic dept so they could focus on teams 200 miles away.
HubbaHubba
All-American

Postby One Trick Pony » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:41 pm

yup
One Trick Pony

Postby BUS » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:53 am

Sad reality is Media does not report ANYTHING. The direct thoughts. They steer the populace the direction they want. SMU is not the player in the bigs so they get ignored.

Remember Russian collusion??? Got them the House so it worked.
Mustang Militia: Fight the good fight"
BUS

Postby AusTxPony » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:59 am

And finally a two-deep chart with no story from the DMN. Disgusting, I guess they were on vacation in Austin during our Spring ball. Seems like one of our big DALLAS alums could hold some sway over the DMN. I would cancel my subscription, but then even less clicks on the SMUMUSTANGS site.
AusTxPony
Hall of Famer

Postby ALEX LIFESON » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:59 pm

I'm sure little Ricky Hart is putting the muscle on them as we speak.
ALEX LIFESON

Postby CBpony » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:41 am

BUS wrote:Sad reality is Media does not report ANYTHING. The direct thoughts. They steer the populace the direction they want. SMU is not the player in the bigs so they get ignored.

Remember Russian collusion??? Got them the House so it worked.

Yep. The only time we get decent media coverage is when we screw up.
CBpony
Junior Varsity

Postby ponypatrick » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:10 pm

ALEX LIFESON wrote:I'm sure little Ricky Hart is putting the muscle on them as we speak.

LMAO :lol: :lol: :lol:
ponypatrick
Varsity

Postby Vitale » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:27 pm

Honest question: What would you have Hart do? Threaten to deny credentials to the DMN?

When it boils down to it, the job of the DMN, just like the job of TV stations, is not to report news. It is to sell papers and get ratings, because that is what pulls in advertisers, who pay the bills (and not enough bills, as they keep laying off staff every few months and making reporters double up and triple up on beats they cover). They can talk all they want about being the newspaper or station of the community, but without those advertising dollars, they don't exist.

I'm with you. I hate that they don't cover us. It's an endless circle: until we show more fan interest, they won't cover, and until they cover, it's hard to generate more fan interest.
Vitale
All-American

Postby Charleston Pony » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:08 pm

As I recall, SMU got more coverage during the LB era because there was simply more interest in SMU after LB put together a top 25 program. Last time I checked, SMU was not drawing 30,000 plus for it's spring game, so why would anyone expect much media coverage? Every year we have an opportunity to jump start this program and get people (and media) interested in SMU football again but it starts by going 4-0 in the non-conference. We can only hope, year after year that maybe this will be the year. I'd love to see how Sonny and this staff might be able to recruit if this team was to get off to that kind of start and make a run at an AAC Championship. Could be a night and day difference from what JJ did when he had that brief window of opportunity.
Charleston Pony

Postby mtrout » Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:39 pm

The DMN still exists? We really need to get the word out to more retirees or what?
mtrout
Hall of Famer

Previous

Return to Football