PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

205th in Directors' Cup Standings

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 205th in Directors' Cup Standings

Postby mustangxc » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:48 pm

SMU Men's track & field contributed significantly towards our team points and we no longer field a team. I really never understood why we dropped Track and never will.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby peruna81 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:11 pm

mustangxc wrote:SMU Men's track & field contributed significantly towards our team points and we no longer field a team. I really never understood why we dropped Track and never will.

Aye...

SMU has had quite a few good athletes (Margus, etc) in recent years since the death of track.
stable-boy for the four horsemen of the apocalypse
peruna81
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Bergermeister » Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 pm

mustangxc wrote:SMU Men's track & field contributed significantly towards our team points and we no longer field a team. I really never understood why we dropped Track and never will.

Lazy administration. Easier to eliminate than create and maintain.
Bergermeister

Postby Webmaster » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:55 am

Title IX and $$
"Rhett Lashlee not only has the top G5 transfer class, it’s one of the best classes in the country, period.”
–– Chris Vannini, The Athletic

Thanks for supporting PonyFans.com. If you have any problems or concerns, please e-mail us at webmaster@ponyfans.com
Webmaster
Heisman

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:11 pm

Webmaster wrote:

Title IX and $$

Also choices. The men's track and field team contributed more points on a yearly basis than men's soccer, men's swimming and diving, etc. I don't really know how Title IX compliance works as there are some universities that manage to field more men's teams without necessarily boosting opportunities for women.
mustangxc

Postby redpony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm

and little ricky, the lap boy is completely to blame for this fiasco.
redpony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:58 pm

Is that the same athletic director presiding over the best advertising campaign since Mustang Mania, maybe ever, at this university? The same one leading an athletics program that is firing on all cylinders in the two sports that matter? I mean if you’re gonna rip him when things are hurting, at least give the guy credit when they’re not. It’s a fantastic time to be a Mustang.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:05 pm

Are they firing on all cylinders? We have one NIT appearance to show for in basketball in the last 4 seasons. We have two lower rung bowl games to show for in the last 8 seasons. The women's basketball program fell into disarray, attendance has not improved in football and has plummeted in basketball. Our olympic sports are historically bad (remember we were perennially top 40 if not better for a long time). Recruiting in football is up, but that is thanks to Sonny Dykes and his hiring of Ra'Shaad Samples. Basketball appears promising, but we've seen this movie before. I'm not impressed with our current AD. The marketing and engagement of our key donors really improved under Orsini.
mustangxc

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:19 pm

mustangxc wrote:Are they firing on all cylinders? We have one NIT appearance to show for in basketball in the last 4 seasons. We have two lower rung bowl games to show for in the last 8 seasons. The women's basketball program fell into disarray, attendance has not improved in football and has plummeted in basketball. Our olympic sports are historically bad (remember we were perennially top 40 if not better for a long time). Recruiting in football is up, but that is thanks to Sonny Dykes and his hiring of Ra'Shaad Samples. Basketball appears promising, but we've seen this movie before. I'm not impressed with our current AD. The marketing and engagement of our key donors really improved under Orsini.

Very fair assessment.

What Hart singlehandedly did to Moody is unforgivable no matter how good Sonny gets us in football.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Arkpony » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:24 pm

Every time I see a video of Moody during Coach Brown’s team playing, and now after that awful seat re-shuffle by Hart I want to cry. One of the greatest public relations disasters in history.
Long live Inez Perez!
Arkpony

Postby ponyboy » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:26 pm

How do we like the Dallas marketing campaign? Is that ok?

Football recruiting going all right?

How’s the bball roster looking?
ponyboy

Postby redpony » Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:00 am

Last I recall Sonny and his staff did the recruiting in fball.
The success in bball remains to be seen but history shows how incompetent this coach is and was given a contract extension years ago by our idiot AD.
IMO the idea of selling Dallas to kids was one of Sonny's ideas.
Prior to Sonny what great marketing ideas came out of Little ricky's staff?

How about getting the facts correct??
redpony

Postby mrydel » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:18 am

Directors Cup is on which we hung our hat when we were not competitive in football or basketball. Title IX and other costs now have the playing field uneven for Directors Cup competition. I am sure if we dropped football we could load up on other lesser sports and get more highly ranked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby ponyboy » Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:51 am

Right. It was a consolation prize for sucking at the sports that matter to the vast majority of college sports fans.
ponyboy

Postby mustangxc » Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:00 pm

So SMU is not good enough. We can only do one or the other but not both. No wonder we are a second tier institution.
mustangxc

PreviousNext

Return to Football